There are several ways to protect your Android TV with a VPN. The easiest way is by downloading an app from the Play Store. Sadly, not all VPN providers offer such an app. You can still use these VPN providers to protect your Android TV. You can install a VPN on your router or on a virtual router on your PC or Mac.
Read more on why you would want to use a VPN in combination with your Android TV in our article on the subject. If you do not have a VPN yet you might want to use one of the following three providers. However, if you already have a subscription with another VPN providers you will find out how to install them on your router or virtual router below.
ExpressVPN for Android TV
ExpressVPN is very easy to use in combination with an Android TV because of its nifty Play Store app. With the ExpressVPN servers you will always be able to reach high speeds in the safest possible way. ExpressVPN has over 1700 servers in more than 90 countries. Their applications are available in several different languages. If you’re unsure if a VPN is for you, you can test out ExpressVPN risk-free with their 30-day money-back guarantee.
GOOSE VPN for Android TV
GOOSE VPN is a young Dutch company with fast connections. With servers all over the world they are ideal for bypassing geographical restrictions and watching the U.S. Netflix content all over the world. Like ExpressVPN, GOOSE VPN has an easy app for Android TV. You can try out their services for one month for only €0,45, this way you can see if you like their services without having to pay for a full subscription.
IPVanish for Android TV
IPVanish also has an easy-to-use Android TV app that you can install directly onto your smart television. They have over 1000 severs in more than 50 different countries and works well in combination with Kodi. This makes this provider perfect for use on your Android TV. IPVanish has great costumer support which makes it possible for everyone to use their services. With their high speeds you can stream movies and series without any lag.
Installing a VPN with an App in the Play Store
If your provider has an app available in the Google Play Store you can install it on your Android TV as follows:
- Look for your VPN app in the app library.
- Download the app of your provider.
- Open the app and log into your account. If you do not have an account yet, you can go to the website of your VPN provider to create one.
- After logging in the app is activated and ready for use.
- Setup the VPN the way you prefer and select a server location.
- Turn on the VPN.
- Enjoy the safety, anonymity, and access to blocked content!
Installing a VPN on Your Router
When a VPN is installed on your router, all of the devices that connect to the internet through that connection will be protected. If you want to do this, your router has to be suitable for this type of use. Moreover, you will have to change the firmware on your router to prepare it for use with a VPN, this is called flashing. You can install a VPN on your router with the following steps.
- Check if your router is suitable for “flashing”. Read all about this in our article with the best VPN routers.
- Change the firmware on your router and install a VPN on it. You can find an extended guide on how to do this in our article about installing a VPN on your router.
- Connect your Android TV to the Wi-Fi network of your flashed router. Your Android TV is now protected with a VPN.
Installing a VPN on a Virtual Router on your PC or Mac
If your router isn’t suitable for flashing you can also connect your Android TV to a Wi-Fi hotpot on your PC or Mac. If you also install a VPN on this PC or Mac your Android TV will also be protected. You can achieve this by following these steps:
- Install a VPN on your PC or Mac. This is very easy, since most VPN providers have easy installation wizards and simple guides.
- Create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac so your Android TV can connect to it.
- Connect your Android TV to this VPN-protected network on your PC or Mac.
ExpressVPN, GOOSE VPN, and IPVanish have easy apps in the Play Store that you can download onto your Android TV. Most importantly, you can access streaming content from all over the world and bypass artificial geo blocks and restrictions. You can also achieve this by installing a VPN on your router or virtual router. However, not all routers are suitable for VPN software.