Do you want to watch HBO Max, even though it isn’t available in your country? Fortunately, there is a way to get access to HBO Max, wherever you live. All you need is a VPN and a form of payment. Just follow these steps:
- Get a subscription with a good VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, because of its affordability and compatibility with HBO Max.
- Install your VPN of choice on your device and log in.
- Connect to a VPN server in the country whose HBO Max content you want to access. The US has the widest library of content.
- Go to the HBO Max website (on your PC) or download the HBO Max app (on Android or Apple mobile devices).
- Create an account and start streaming!
While American credit cards work on some other countries’ versions of HBO Max, it doesn’t work the other way around. You’ll need a US card to set up a US account. For some select countries, you can get a subscription with PayPal. We’ve also found one server while using NordVPN that lets you unblock American content on HBO Max, even after setting up a foreign account.
HBO Max is Warner’s and AT&T’s service for on-demand streaming. Besides the content you can access on HBO Go, HBO Max features its own originals as well as motion pictures from other providers and studios like CNN, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, or Sony Pictures.
It’s a great streaming service to enjoy, but if you’re not from one of the supported countries, you’ll have a hard time accessing the platform. The good news is that at the start of 2022 HBO has given a lot more countries access to their service. Whereas HBO used to only be available in the US not too long ago, you can now also use it in a staggering number of countries in Latin America, Europe, and the Caribbean. Nevertheless, there are still many countries that are not supported, mainly in Asia and Africa. Moreover, the content HBO Max shows in each country also differs.
This is why this article will explain how to access whichever HBO Max version you want to access, wherever you are. Just changing your virtual location to make it look like you’re from the US won’t be enough for new users to get access. HBO Max often only accepts credit cards from the country you’re claiming to sign up from — though we’ve had luck with American cards in different countries. Just not vice versa.
If you want to watch HBO Max and don’t have such a card, you’ll need to jump through some hoops. Fortunately, there is also a way to get access to HBO Max using PayPal — though this option is only available in select countries.
Why Can’t I Watch HBO Max Abroad?
You might get an error message when trying to watch HBO Max and ask yourself: “Why is HBO Max not working where I live?” HBO Max is not available in every country for several reasons. First, geographic restrictions exist because of territorial licensing rights. As far as the law is concerned, streaming platforms are content distributors. So, they have to get distribution rights for films and shows in every region they want to expand to.
As far as HBO Max is concerned, the parent company (AT&T) has a lot of entertainment brands under its name including CNN, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, and the Warner Bros. studio. You’d think it should be easy to get territorial licensing rights. While that may be true, companies like Warner Bros. can make more money selling territorial rights than expanding their own streaming platform. That’s why, as of now, there is no HBO Max UK, or HBO Max India, for instance. However, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to access the platform from where you live.
How to Access HBO Max Worldwide
If you want to stream HBO Max outside of a supported country, the first thing you’ll need is a VPN. A Virtual Private Network, or VPN, is software that changes your IP address. This means sites like HBO Max will think you’re browsing from a different location, i.e. one that they do support.
The way it works is simple: most VPNs have servers all across the world, and they’ll reroute your online traffic through those servers before sending it to your target site. Without further ado, we’ll get into one of the easier ways to get your HBO Max subscription, wherever you live, and start streaming. This method requires a VPN subscription, a PC, and a form of payment.
Step-by-step guide: Access HBO Max from anywhere in the world with a VPN
- Choose a VPN and subscribe. We recommend NordVPN. This is the provider we used to test this method and it worked well for us. Also, they offer some handy features to resolve any trouble you may run into (more on this later).
- NordVPNOur pickOur pickDeal:Only $2.99 a month for a two-year subscription with a 30-day money-back guarantee!From$2.999.3
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
- Install the VPN app of your choice. With most providers, this is very straightforward and they’ll guide you through the process after signing up. In the case of NordVPN, you can just click on the orange button above and follow the steps.
- Log in to the VPN app with the information you used to sign up.
- Choose a server from the country whose HBO Max library you want to access. For a list of countries where HBO Max is supported, check out this page.
Selecting a country for HBO Max
According to our findings, you’re limited to the country where you register your HBO profile when you create your account. In other words, just switching your VPN server to get access to different HBO Max content doesn’t normally work. So choose your country wisely, as you’ll have to make a new account for every version of HBO Max. There are some exceptions to this when using NordVPN, which we will discuss later.
While the US library has the most extensive library of content, it’s also more expensive. You’ll also need an American credit card to set up payment. But let’s say you want to save money on a subscription, and get one through a Mexican or Polish VPN server. Here, an American credit card will work for you — as will local payment — and you’ll save on a subscription. But the content will be different. Just visit each version of the site to see if they have shows and movies you want.
Using HBO Max on an Android mobile device
We also tried out HBO Max’s mobile plan on an Android mobile device, which is a slightly cheaper option. Just follow the same above steps 1-5 above to get your VPN up and running. Once you’ve got your VPN connected to the country of your choice, follow the guide below:
- Download the HBO Max app from the Google Play store. You can first try this with your regular Google account, but this will likely not work, because it’s probably already associated with the country you’re from. Go to the next step if your Google account doesn’t allow you to download the HBO Max app. If it does, go to step 3.
- Create a new Google account and go to the Play Store. Now click on the account icon to switch accounts and add your new account. Now HBO Max should be available for download. Alternatively, you can first try to use another Google account that you don’t use a lot if you have one. Our rarely used Google account worked for us.
- Search for the HBO Max app in the Play Store and download it.
- Click on a show you’d like to watch. Some content (although very little) on HBO Max is free. Just try a few of them until you get a message asking you to sign up. Click on “Choose a plan.”
- If you’re trying to access the US version of HBO Max, you’ll need a US-based credit or debit card for the purchase. If you’re trying to access other countries, most oftentimes, US credit cards will work, as will local payment methods.
- Enjoy HBO Max’s extensive content library.
Using PayPal to set up HBO Max
Unfortunately we found that on the day that we tested this, PayPal had been removed as a payment method for the American version of HBO Max, as well as many other countries. PayPal, however, is still available in a few select countries. Such as Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Serbia. Feel free to go country-hopping with your new VPN to test out different subscription prices and PayPal options!
How to Watch HBO Max USA with a foreign account (Worldwide)
The US HBO Max version unfortunately no longer supports PayPal. This leaves you the option of paying with a US credit card, which further complicates things. However, there might be an option to watch the US version of HBO Max, even if you’re not from the US and don’t have a US credit card.
Our VPN research team found an exception to the rule that you can’t change HBO Max libraries with the same account. We were able to unblock the US version of HBO Max with a NordVPN server in Arizona. This worked despite the fact that we had a Dutch HBO Max account and no American payment methods (we are based in the Netherlands).
It wasn’t easy to find a server that allowed for this and we can’t guarantee that others will be able to reproduce these results. Nevertheless, it does give some hope to people who can’t go without their favorite US movies and series.
Disclaimer: Always consider the terms and conditions
Moreover, make sure you’re allowed to use a VPN in your location, as some countries prohibit the use. If you’re not sure whether using a VPN is allowed in your country, you can consult this article about VPN legality.
Finally, some of the shows available on the service might contain content that isn’t allowed in your location. Local laws and country-wide restrictions could make this kind of content illegal.
In short? Always make sure you’re allowed to watch the content you access with a VPN. As a user, you’re subjected to the rules of the service as well as the laws of the country you reside in. Take this into account before going forward.
The Three Best VPNs for HBO Max
If you want to use a VPN to watch HBO Max, you might need a bit of guidance. Not every VPN will work for this purpose. Here, we list three of the very best VPN providers.
1. NordVPN: A great unblocking VPN
When it comes to streaming, NordVPN is one of the elite VPNs out there. We tested NordVPN with HBO Max and we were able to get access without any issues. Moreover, if you do run into issues in the future (streaming services often try to block VPN servers sooner or later), NordVPN has some excellent countermeasures to circumvent VPN blocks and give you access anyway. The best feature it offers to do so is probably its dedicated IP addresses. Check out our guide on dedicated IP addresses to learn more.
Moreover, NordVPN offers a fast streaming experience at a very decent price and a 30-day money-back guarantee. To get started with NordVPN, just click the orange button below.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
2. Surfshark: International streaming on a budget
Surfshark is a great VPN for streaming and accessing HBO Max and, making things even better, it is one of the most affordable VPNs around. Apart from its excellent value and stable connections, it’s actually the fastest VPN that we tested.
Surfshark has over 500 servers in the US, so you’ll always be able to find one that works. On top of that, it has no limit to the number of devices you can use it on, which means you’ll be able to share the cost with your friends and family if you want to. Moreover, we tested Surfshark with HBO Max as well and this worked without issues. Click the orange button below, and test out Surfshark’s extensive free trial.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
3. PIA: An excellent HBO Max alternative for the privacy-minded
PIA is an excellent VPN that has from the onset been very focused on privacy. However, in the last few years, their low prices and rapid server expansion have made them a serious competitor for more mainstream and entertainment-focused VPNs. Nowadays, it’s an excellent streaming VPN as well and a great choice to watch your favorite HBO Max shows and movies.
This provider is extremely affordable and offers over 30,000 servers all over the world. Just imagine all of the HBO Max content this could give you access to!
- Strong focus on privacy and security
- Good price
- Fast and stable servers
These are our top picks for VPNs to watch HBO Max abroad, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only options at your disposal. Make sure you read about the best VPNs of this year before making a choice.
What Can You Watch on HBO Max?
HBO Max is a relatively new service. While talks of it surfaced in 2018, it was only officially launched as a fully-fleshed platform under this name on the 27th of May 2020.
That being said, it’s not like HBO is scrapping for content. The library they have so far is very impressive already, and you can even watch Justice League on it. It includes:
- Most HBO or Warner productions, like Westworld
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy
- True Blood
- Sesame Street Specials
- The Sopranos
- The Wire
- Game of Thrones
- Looney Tunes Cartoons
- Wonder Woman and other DC productions
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
HBO Max also regularly releases originals, such as Justice League Dark. In other words, you’ll have plenty to watch if you sign up. It does look like HBO Max wants to unify the content previously spread across HBO Now and HBO Go on one platform and continue in this way.
Conclusion: Getting Access to HBO Max’s Streaming Service
HBO Max is not currently available abroad due to territorial licensing issues. However, you can circumvent that if you follow these steps:
- Get a VPN.
- Choose a server from the US to route your traffic through.
- Log in to your HBO Max account and enjoy the service.
Before you try this, make sure you’re acting in accordance with the terms of service of HBO Max. If you are, we hope you enjoy the impressive library of this new platform! Or, if you are only into horror movies, check out how to access Shudder, AMC’s horror streaming service!
Do you have a specific question about watching HBO Max worldwide? Have a look at our FAQ to see if we’ve answered your question already. If we haven’t, feel free to leave us a comment down below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Yes, HBO Max has recently become available in some parts of Europe, including the Netherlands, Portugal, and parts of Eastern Europe. However, you can access HBO Max even from a country where it isn’t available yet by following these steps. Moreover, there are plans to launch HBO Max in more parts of Europe and Latin America in the near future.
Watching HBO Max outside one of the supported countries isn’t all that difficult. All you need is a VPN, supported credit card or payment method, like PayPal. Just follow these steps to access HBO Max:
- Get a good VPN provider, download their app and log in.
- Connect to a VPN server in the country whose HBO Max content you’d like to watch.
- Go to the HBO Max app or website, create an account and choose a plan.
This is just a very brief guide. If you’d like more guidance, we strongly recommend checking out our full article on watching HBO Max Worldwide.
Unfortunately, as of now, the United Kingdom is not one of the countries that HBO Max supports. Fortunately, there is a way to access HBO Max regardless. Check out this article to find out how this works.
Technically, you can. Free VPNs should work, in theory, just as well as a paid one in terms of unlocking geo-blocked content. In reality, you might find it hard to stream content from a different country with free VPNs, because they’re usually easy to recognize by the streaming platforms.
Watching the US version of HBO Max, if you’re not in the USA, is no easy feat. Even if you use a VPN, you will likely need an American credit card. Nevertheless, there seem to be some NordVPN servers that do offer access to the US version of Netflix, even if you don’t have a US account let alone a payment method from the US. You can learn more about this method in our full HBO Max guide.