Shudder has a huge catalog of classic and contemporary horror films and series, as well as documentaries and originals. If you’re not in the United States, Canada, the UK, or Ireland, however, you won’t be able to access Shudder, unless you follow these steps:
- Get a good VPN. For streaming Shudder, we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN software onto the device of your choice.
- Log into the VPN with the credentials you created during registration.
- Connect to a US server. Once you’re connected, leave it running.
- Go to Shudder.com and enjoy! What are you in the mood for? A slasher, creature feature, or zombie flick?
AMC’s horror streaming service Shudder has been a blood-soaked blessing for horror junkies in the United States and a few choice countries.
The service has managed to pool together the greatest horror movies and series of past and present on one on-demand site. From slasher films to psychological thrillers, supernatural horror to creature features, documentaries, and original movies and series — they’ve really rounded up a sinister collection of content.
Unfortunately, the gore-heavy provider is only available in the US and a few select countries at the moment and hasn’t expanded globally. Due to geo-restrictions, the site is blocked outside of the US, Canada, UK, and Ireland.
If you’re not in one of those countries, you can still access Shudder with just the click of a button.
Want to find out how? All you need is a VPN. We’ll show you how to set one up and get to watch all the horror you can handle in no time.
What is Shudder?
Shudder is AMC’s streaming platform catering to the horror movie genre. While streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have content that can appeal to almost every viewer, Shudder was made specifically for horror fans.
The site is loaded with regularly updated new titles, old horror favorites, cult classics, sci-fi films, contemporary horror movies, supernatural thrillers, documentaries, horror series, and Shudder originals and exclusives.
They’ve also got a constant flow of hand-picked horror movies and series streaming on their Shudder TV channel if you can’t make a decision on what to watch.
There are a few ways to access Shudder, and if you’re not in the US, you’ll need a VPN for all of them.
- Watch Shudder via their website. The easiest way to stream Shudder is directly through their website. They offer a free trial period of seven days, and the service has a $5.99 monthly subscription rate after that. They also have a discounted annual subscription for $56.99 — which works out to about $4.75 a month. There are no contracts and you can cancel your plan at any time.
- Youtube TV: If you already have a YouTube TV subscription, you can also access Shudder through that provider as well. If you’re interested in a subscription, at the time of writing, YouTube TV was running a free trial for two weeks with the first three months of service at $54.99 a month. Each month after that is $64.99. You get Shudder plus 107 other American channels, including news and sports. You can also cancel your subscription at any time.
- AMC+: If you want Shudder and other AMC content, they’ve launched their new AMC+ streaming service. You can sign up directly through their site, or you can add it to your plan on YouTube TV, Amazon Prime Video, or Apple TV.
If you’re outside of the US, Canada, UK, or Ireland and want to try the horror streaming service or one of the other routes, we’ll show you how you can do so by using a VPN.
How to Watch Shudder Outside the US, Canada, UK, and Ireland
If you don’t have an IP address in one of the countries that Shudder does business in, you won’t be able to access all of their creepy content. Though it’s possible that the service will expand internationally eventually, at the moment they’re only licensing content within those select geographical borders.
But watching Shudder outside of the US and other designated countries is a breeze if you’ve got a VPN. VPNs assign you a new IP address from any location you want in the world, which lets you unblock the content you couldn’t watch otherwise.
The best VPN providers have servers peppered across the globe, so you can take your pick at what country you want to connect to the internet from. If you want to watch all the best horror and thrillers available online, just follow this step-by-step guide.
- Sign up for a solid VPN. We’ll show you some other options later, but if you need a quick recommendation for streaming Shudder, we like ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN software. You’ll need to install the VPN on whatever device you like watching horror movies on. ExpressVPN works on computers, mobile devices, and Smart TVs.
- Log into the VPN. Enter the credentials you created at registration to gain access to the VPN.
- Connect to a US server. ExpressVPN has plenty of American servers to choose from. You’ll need to connect to one of them to access Shudder. Once connected, leave it running.
- Navigate to Shudder.com or YouTube TV. Now the only question is, what to watch?
The Top 3 VPNs for Streaming Horror Movies on Shudder
Choosing the right VPN is key to a good US streaming experience. Some VPNs have faster and more reliable American servers than others, and you want to make sure you can access American streaming platforms from strong ones, no matter where you are.
Here’s a quick rundown of our top 3 VPNs for streaming US content.
ExpressVPN: The top streaming VPN
Whether it’s horror films and series, other streaming platforms, or live sports, ExpressVPN always comes in at the top of our rankings when it comes to unblocking content at optimum speeds. In addition to their huge network of global servers, they also switch up their IP addresses regularly so you’ll always have a genuine access point from the US.
In addition to Shudder, if you’re looking to access Disney Plus, the BBC’s Player, or stream with Kodi, ExpressVPN is the way to go. This provider also has an excellent 30-day free trial, so you can try it out for a month and see if it’s a good fit.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
NordVPN: Great streaming with top-notch security
NordVPN comes right behind ExpressVPN in our top three, and it’s no slouch. NordVPN has great international streaming speeds and plenty of trusty American servers to choose from to access Shudder. The user interface isn’t as simple as ExpressVPN’s as it can be a little more interactive, but it’s easy enough for first-timers to figure out.
Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN uses AES 256-bit military-grade encryption to protect your internet activity from would-be online snoops and hackers. Not only that, but NordVPN came in No. 1 on our list of the Best No Log VPNs. They’ve proven several times that they truly keep no records or logs of user activity. Feel free to check out NordVPN’s free 30-day trial and see if it’s for you.
We know it’s a tough call between ExpressVPN and NordVPN. If you’re on the fence, check out our deep dive in comparing the two services.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
Surfshark: International streaming on a budget
Surfshark may not beat out ExpressVPN and NordVPN for streaming US-based content, but its price and ability to get the job done make it our third choice. If you’re on a budget and are looking for a rock-solid streaming VPN, you can’t go wrong with Surfshark. When we ran it with Shudder, it worked like a charm.
Surfshark has more than 500 servers in the US, doesn’t have limits on how many devices you can use it on and it has good speeds for streaming. Any time we’ve used Surfshark for streaming HD content from the US, it’s proven itself to be a reliable VPN. If you want to give it a whirl, Surfshark also has a 30-day free trial.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
Best Horror Movies and Series to Stream on Shudder in 2021
Shudder offers a regularly updated catalog of content, and the premium streaming service has plenty of horror films, series, and documentaries to choose from. Though we can’t list their entire library here, we’ve selected a few titles that you can stream on Shudder right now.
With a monthly or yearly subscription, you can watch Shudder ad-free and get the unrated cuts.
- Hellraiser, Hellraiser 2
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Night of the Living Dead
- Day of the Dead
- Phantasm, Phantasm 3, Phantasm 4, Phantasm: Ravager
- Maniac Cop 1, 2, 3
- Prom Night
- Slumber Party Massacre
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Ichi the Killer
- Bloodsucking Freaks
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- Sleepaway Camp
- Edge of the Axe
- Elvira’s 40th Anniversary Very Scary, Very Special, Special
- Hammer House of Horror
- The Walking Dead: World Beyond
- Dario Argento’s Door Into Darkness
- Channel Zero: The Dream Door
Shudder original series
- The Last Drive-In: With Joe Bob Briggs
- Slasher: Flesh and Blood
- Blood Machines
- Cursed Films
- Horror Noire Uncut
- True Horror
Shudder original movies
- Bleed With Me
- Vicious Fun
- Fried Barry
- The Cleansing Hour
- The Mortuary Collection
- Random Acts of Violence
- Horror Noire
Designed for Horror Aficionados
For horror fans that aren’t getting enough blood, guts, and screams from their regular streaming services, Shudder and Shudder TV has come to the rescue.
If you want to add Shudder as a streaming service, it’s an excellent addition to Netflix, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video — especially at its price point — though it might not be for everyone. But if you’re a diehard fan of the horror genre, we definitely recommend giving it a try.
Got some questions about streaming the best horror available online with Shudder? Click on any of our frequently asked questions below.
If you’re a fan of the horror movie genre, Shudder is definitely worth the $5.99 monthly (or $56.99 annual) subscription price. This streaming service has the largest library of classic and contemporary horror content of any provider out there. If you want to try it out, they offer a free seven-day trial so you can see if it suits you.
Shudder will cost you $5.99 per month, or $56.99 for an annual subscription (which is about $4.75 a month). If you want to try the platform and scope out their full library, they also offer a free trial for seven days. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
The easiest way to watch Shudder is directly through their website. If you’re not physically located in the United States, Canada, the UK, or Ireland, though, you’ll need a VPN to access the site. YouTube TV also carries Shudder along with 107 other American channels in its $64.99 monthly package.
Yes, AMC+ does include Shudder. If you want more AMC content to go along with Shudder, you can sign up directly through AMC+’s site, or add AMC+ to your plan on cord-cutting cable bundlers like YouTube TV, Sling TV, or Apple TV.
Shudder only lets one account stream at a time through its website, which makes password sharing tricky. If you sign up for Shudder through an alternative bundler — like YouTube TV, Amazon Prime Video, or Apple TV — you can get around it and get multiple streams on different devices.