Using a VPN is a good way to secure your personal, sensitive data, and account passwords online. They can also be used to access content from another country that is restricted in your location – including German websites. Here’s a quick summary on how to get a German IP address from anywhere:
- Choose a VPN provider. We recommend ExpressVPN, which offers fast German IPs and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download the VPN software.
- Create an account and activate it.
- Start your VPN software, and choose a server located in Germany.
- Click on the connect button to start your session.
- That’s it! When you’re finished, don’t forget to end your session in the VPN software suite.
If you’re trying to access your German accounts, streaming services, or other online content outside of Germany and you’ve encountered an error, chances are you’ve hit a geoblock. Geoblocking is the practice of limiting access to online services based on your IP address. Many websites use these geographical restrictions to prevent people from other countries accessing their content.
However, there’s a way to get around a geoblock and gain access to your usual services from abroad. All you need to do is change your IP address to one that’s located in Germany. In this article, we’ll show you how to get a German IP address from anywhere in the world using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). This is perfect if you’re enjoying a vacation abroad but need to access your accounts back in Germany.
How to Get a German IP address for Free
While your IP address is assigned automatically by your network, changing this number to one from another country is possible. Doing so will let you access blocked content as if you were browsing from that country. This means you can connect to your German Netflix subscription and access streaming services like ProSieben Video and ARD Mediathek from abroad.
We always recommend using a paid-for VPN as opposed to a free service. Free VPNs have been known to have drawbacks that can include:
- Less choice of location: A free VPN might not allow you to get a German IP address for free. This is because the choice of server locations is often much more limited compared to a paid-for VPN.
- Data caps: With a free VPN, you’re likely to encounter a data limit. When you’re accessing German television abroad, the last thing you want is to be cut off halfway through your movie or tv show.
- Slower service: Free VPNs often allocate slower servers to you, which means that high-bandwidth actions like streaming or downloading media can take far longer.
- Limited support: With a free VPN, you’re likely to have little in the way of customer support if you run into problems using the software.
However, it’s still possible to get a German IP address from anywhere for free, without facing the above problems. Ideally, you want to find a premium VPN that offers a trial or money-back guarantee. This way, you can simply access the content you need and get your money back before the trial or guarantee ends.
We regularly recommend ExpressVPN. It’s one of the fastest providers and offers a broad range of servers for different locations. ExpressVPN also has a lengthy 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
ExpressVPN isn’t the only VPN that offers good German IPs, however. You’ll find other VPNs we recommend later on in this article, just in case you’re still undecided. Once you’ve decided on a VPN, you can go ahead and follow the step-by-step guide below.
Step-by-step guide: Get a German IP address from anywhere using a VPN
- Decide which VPN provider to use. As mentioned above, we recommend ExpressVPN it’s fast, easy to use, and has a great money-back guarantee in case you change your mind.
- Download the VPN software onto your computer or the device you’re planning on using to access German services. Make sure you copy the activation code if one is provided to you during the subscription stage.
- Create an account using the VPN software that you downloaded and sign in. If applicable, use the activation code to activate the software.
- Start up the VPN software. Click on the server location field to change the default location.
- Choose a server in Germany as your location, then click the connect button.
Now, you can access German online services that would ordinarily be geoblocked to a user within your country. When you’re finished, just click the disconnect button to end your session.
Is Using a VPN to Get a German IP Address Safe?
Using a VPN is generally safe, as long as you choose a recognized provider. In fact, using a VPN is safer than browsing the internet without one. Using the internet exposes you to all sorts of risks, including having your personal information or identity stolen, your accounts hacked, and even your payment information compromised.
Some people use the “private browsing” or “incognito” mode built into their browser in order to get some online privacy. However, this private browsing isn’t actually private, only to an extent. When you use incognito mode, your computer won’t store information about the pages you visit. However, private browsing won’t necessarily stop your internet service provider (ISP), or any other parties that might be looking over your shoulder, from gathering this data themselves. A VPN will protect you in this regard: it’ll be much harder for your ISP, hackers, websites, and any other parties to see what you’re doing online.
If you want to know more about VPNs and how to use them, check out one of our more detailed articles on how a VPN works.
What is the Best VPN for a German IP Address?
The best VPN for German IP addresses right now is ExpressVPN. However, there are other good providers out there too. We’ve listed three great options for you below. If you’d rather have an extensive look at our general top 5, check out the best VPNs of 2021.
1. ExpressVPN: fast German servers
- Great, user-friendly software on multiple devices
- Some of the fastest connections available from a VPN
- Great customer support
- ExpressVPN has a lengthy 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPNs is one of the best VPNs for unblocking content. With servers spread across the world, including many VPN servers in Germany, you’ll be spoiled for choice. ExpressVPN is also known for its fast speeds. You’ll be able to watch German television and streams, access German platforms, and read exclusive German news all in no time. Additionally, it has a kill switch, military-grade encryption, and support for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
2. NordVPN: hundreds of German IPs
- Great aesthetics
- Supports up to six devices
- Significant discounts with a long-term subscription
NordVPN is a great VPN for German IP addresses. In total, this VPN provider offers more than 250 servers in the country. With this many servers, you won’t have to worry about overload from many users connecting simultaneously.
Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN also has a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can use to try out their service. For more information about NordVPN and its many features, you can read our full review of this provider.
3. Surfshark: perfect for German streaming
- Very affordable
- Works with numerous versions of Netflix
- Supports unlimited devices
With Surfshark, you’ll have access to over 3,000 servers in more than 60 countries worldwide, including Germany. You’ll be able to stream German television channels online, such as ZDF and ARD, even while you’re on holiday abroad. What’s more, you can use unlimited devices with Surfshark, and this VPN is not blocked by German Netflix. That means you can keep the family entertained at the same time!
Why Should I Use a VPN With a German IP Address?
Without a VPN, you won’t be able to access a myriad of German websites and accounts from abroad. Need to access your Netflix account to keep the kids distracted? In some countries, you’ll be unable to access the German version of Netflix from abroad, even if you have a subscription! A VPN will give you instant, easy acces, but this isn’t the only benefit you’ll get from a VPN.
When it comes to truly private browsing, a VPN is the way to go. When you connect to a VPN server in another location, your data is encrypted and routed through a secure network to that server. As a result, your online identity and any data you transfer is obscured. This has a whole range of benefits.
While you’re overseas, you’re more than likely to access public Wi-Fi hotspots. By nature, public Wi-Fi networks are inherently less secure than your home Wi-Fi network. It’s no difficult task for a cybercriminal to eavesdrop on a public network and intercept the data that is transmitted through the network. This could expose anything from your email contacts to your online banking password.
By using a VPN with a German IP address, these problems go away. Your data will be encrypted, and you can rest assured that your accounts and your personal data are much more secure. Of course, you’ll also be able to get a German IP address from anywhere – even your favorite spot in the local bar or cafe. You’ll also benefit from:
- More freedom, since you can bypass geographic restrictions
- Greater anonymity online
- Additional protection from ad-trackers and phishing attacks
For a full list of the advantages of a VPN, take a look at each of these in more detail.
What Should I Look For in a VPN?
The choice between VPNs can be a little overwhelming, which is why we’ve listed several things to look for when choosing a VPN. These are all factors that we took into consideration when listing our top 3 VPNs above. All of our recommendations offer speed, stability, great security and encryption, and can be used across a range of devices.
- Servers located in Germany: To get a German IP address, you’ll need to connect to servers located in Germany. Choosing one of the best VPNs like those we’ve mentioned above means that you’ll be using a VPN provider with plenty of servers located in Germany. This is important to avoid overload when many users connect to the same VPN, preventing your browsing session from grinding to a halt.
- Speed: The speed of your internet connection can vary from one provider to another, and the same is true of VPN services. While outside factors can affect your connection speed, some VPN providers are inherently faster than others. For example, free VPNs are typically slower than those that you pay a subscription for.
- Security and encryption: While speed is important, staying cybersecure is a huge concern too. Many people use VPNs for their security, so you want to choose a VPN that offers just that. Keep an eye out for features that increase your anonymity, such as a guarantee that your actions aren’t logged, and access to high levels of encryption and a kill switch.
- Use across multiple devices: The best VPNs support multiple platforms, allowing you to browse privately via your computer, smartphone, or even tablet. Most free VPNs support a single device, whereas paid-for VPNs like ExpressVPN allow you to use multiple devices at the same time under a single account.
Whether you’re trying to log into a German account from abroad, access German television online, or unblock sporting events, a VPN can help you. When you connect to a German VPN server, for all intents and purposes, you might as well be sitting in Berlin with a beer as far as geoblocks are concerned. You’ll also benefit from greater freedom, anonymity, and online security.
Whether you’re on vacation and you need to access your German bank account abroad, or you’re trying to access German tv shows from another country, check out our FAQ below for more information.
- Choose a VPN provider like ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN software.
- Create an account and register a payment method.
- Sign into the VPN software, choose a server in Germany, and click connect.
- Now, you should be able to access German websites as if you were there yourself.
If you need more information and detailed guidance, check out the full article.
Some of the most common websites to restrict access with geoblocks are official broadcasters like television and news channels. So, if you want to watch German television online from anywhere, you’ll most likely need VPN connected to a German server. A cheap VPN with lots of VPN servers in Germany is Surfshark, which is also known to be great for unblocking and streaming.
Germany is VPN-friendly. There are no current laws or restrictions against using a VPN in Germany or using a VPN to access German content. However, restrictions and laws can vary depending on the country you’re traveling in. For more information about VPNs and their legal standing in different countries, we recommend reading our article on the legality of VPNs.