Getting an American IP address is easy. All you need to do is connect to a U.S. VPN server. Once you’ve got an American IP, you’ll be able to unblock American Netflix, American Prime Video, and a whole range of other streaming services. You’ll also enjoy increased security and anonymity while browsing. Just follow the simple steps below to get an American IP address from anywhere:
- Choose a VPN provider. CyberGhost is our best VPN for America.
- Download CyberGhost, or another VPN, and install the client.
- Create a VPN account or sign in if you did this via the website.
- Fire up the VPN, and find an American VPN server.
- Connect to the VPN server to change your IP address to a U.S. IP.
Whether you’re an American traveling overseas or a resident of another country who wants to watch American TV online, you might find yourself needing an American IP address. Websites across the world use geographical restrictions (geoblocks) to restrict access to foreign visitors, and American websites are no exception. However, with an American IP address, you’ll enjoy the same web access as US citizens.
By using a USA VPN to get an American IP, you can access streaming services like American Netflix, American Amazon Prime, Peacock, Hulu, HBO Max, and others. What’s more, if you live in the USA but are currently overseas, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with an American IP can help you avoid being locked out of bank accounts, social media, and more.
How to Get a US IP address from Anywhere in the World
Think of your IP address as a digital fingerprint. It tells websites what country you’re browsing from. It can even tell people roughly where you’re located within a country. This is how websites are able to block you. What’s more, since your internet service provider (ISP) knows who you are, they can see what you browse online and link it to your identity.
A VPN protects you from unwanted snooping by third-parties. When you connect to a VPN server, your IP changes to match the server that you’re connected to. This means that if you connect to a US VPN, then you’ll be browsing under an American IP address. You also get enhanced security thanks to encrypted data traffic, which is a must for public Wi-Fi. There are other advantages of a VPN too.
For a walkthrough on how to change your IP address, improve your security, and unblock websites in America, see the step-by-step guide below. In this article, we’ll also help you choose the best VPN for an American IP address.
Step-by-step guide: Get a US IP from anywhere with a VPN
- You’ll need to select a VPN provider offering fast and reliable connections, particularly for streaming. Our top VPN for American IP addresses is CyberGhost.
- Download CyberGhost or your chosen VPN onto the device you use primarily. Some VPN providers allow multiple or even unlimited devices. Install the VPN once your download completes.
- Run the VPN client and create an account (or sign in if you did this via the website).
- Use the search tool or drop-down list to choose an American (US) VPN server.
- Hit the connect button to connect and change your IP. Now, you’ll be browsing under an American IP address, and those pesky geo-blocks will be a thing of the past!
Which VPN To Use? How to Choose a Free or Paid VPN for Accessing US Content
We’ll address free VPNs first, because using a free option as opposed to paying is always tempting. Free American VPNs are not always the best choice, especially if you want to benefit from streaming American TV. Check out some of the disadvantages of a free VPN below:
- Server choice is often limited. While subscription-based VPNs usually have thousands of servers worldwide, free VPNs have fewer. You could be competing with other users for bandwidth, resulting in slow connection speeds. Worse still, you might not even find an American VPN server.
- Data is typically limited too. Trying to binge-watch your favorite American TV show using a free VPN? You’re likely to hit a data cap very quickly. Streaming consumes a lot of data, and most free VPNs limit you to a few gigabytes or less each month. Take TunnelBear for example, one of our best free VPNs; with a 500MB monthly limit, you’ll be lucky to finish a couple of episodes.
- Your connection could be too slow to stream. The problem here isn’t just that you might be competing with other users for a single server. Many free VPNs also place limitations on the speeds that you’ll get while connected. On the other hand, subscription-based VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN can offer up to 600Mbps-800Mbps respectively!
- Your online activity could be recorded. The two VPNs we mentioned above – ExpressVPN and NordVPN – strictly adhere to no-logging policies. This means that your browsing activity won’t be recorded. The same can’t always be said of free VPNs. Often, your browsing data is tracked and sold to marketing companies, even in cases when the VPN claims not to log your browsing habits!
If you do ultimately decide to go with a free VPN, you should at least choose one of the best free VPNs. However, bear in mind that for short-term use, the money-back guarantees offered by paid-for VPNs can let you try out their service for free.
The above points are why our best VPN for America is CyberGhost. You’ll have unlimited bandwidth on servers that are fast and reliable, including those dedicated exclusively for streaming content. Apart from streaming, you’ll also benefit from secure browsing, no data logging, and a kill switch to keep your connection secure.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
Read on for more alternative USA VPNs that you can use to get an American IP address.
Is Using a VPN to Get a US IP Address Safe?
Using a VPN online is safe. In fact, going online using a VPN server is safer than browsing without one. In America, it’s also legal to use a VPN, assuming that you’re not engaging in illegal online activities. Here are some of the ways that a VPN makes you safer and gives you more freedom online:
- A VPN server changes your IP address. Anybody snooping on your IP will see an American IP address if you connect to a US VPN server. That goes for both your ISP and any other third parties, such as strangers within your torrent swarm.
- With a VPN, you can unblock websites. Want to watch American streaming services, but not located in the US? You’ll need a VPN. But with a VPN, you can unblock more than just movies and TV shows. VPNs allow you to bypass government censorship too, increasing your internet freedom.
- Your data traffic is encrypted when using a VPN. When your data passes through the VPN server, it is encrypted. This means that your personal information is safe against any malicious third parties that may be spying on the network.
- With a VPN, downloads are anonymous and safer.
In summary, as long as you’re using a reliable and trustworthy VPN provider, then you’ll be much safer online with a VPN. So, to get started with a USA VPN, check out some of the most respected VPN providers below. They’re our top choices for getting an American IP address.
Alternatively, check out our article on how a VPN works if you’ve still got questions about how the software works or anything else.
The Best VPN for a US IP Address
You can get an American IP address from a lot of VPN providers. That said, some VPNs are better for speed, reliability, and security. Below, we’ve listed the best VPNs for an American IP address For a more in-depth look at the best VPN providers, check out our recommendations in our best VPNs of 2021 article.
CyberGhost: The best American VPN for streaming
- 6,000+ VPN servers worldwide, including America
- Dedicated VPN servers for streaming American TV online
- Government-standard 256-bit AES encryption
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Won’t log your browsing activity
- Over 1,100 VPN servers located in America
- Will automatically find you the fastest American VPN server
Some VPNs are blocked by streaming services that are strict about enforcing geoblocking restrictions. However, getting an American IP address with CyberGhost gives you access to more than ten US streaming platforms alone. This includes Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and NBC. CyberGhost also offers dedicated streaming servers, which ensures fast and reliable connections.
With more than 1,100 VPN servers in the US, spread across multiple states, you’re unlikely to suffer slower connections as a result of high user volumes. There’s also a kill switch, which gives you IP leak protection. This will ensure that your true IP isn’t revealed should something cause your connection to drop.
ExpressVPN: US IP addresses with fast, reliable connections
- 164 VPN server locations in 94 countries
- 24 VPN server locations in North America
- Won’t log your browsing data on American VPN servers or otherwise
- Government-standard 256-bit AES encryption
- 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try an American VPN for free
- Will automatically find you the fastest American VPN server
ExpressVPN is another excellent VPN for American IPs. Both the desktop and mobile client are slick and easy to use, and you’ve got 24/7 access to customer support should you get stuck. What’s more, ExpressVPN is known to support speeds of up to around 600Mbps on fast and reliable VPN connections.
Should you decide to hop to a European VPN server or another country worldwide, you’ll have access to more than 3000 servers in 160 locations. Like CyberGhost, ExpressVPN also bypasses many of the most popular streaming services’ geo-blocks. However, this VPN provider can be a little pricier than the others.
NordVPN: Almost 2,000 American VPN servers
- Simultaneously connect up to six devices
- A huge 1,970 VPN servers in the US
- New subscribers can get 3 months for free
- Excellent US VPN speeds up to 800Mbps
- Government-standard 256-bit AES encryption
As well as having one of the biggest number of VPN servers worldwide, NordVPN has nearly 2,000 VPN servers in North America. With NordVPN, you can get speeds of up to around 800Mbps. Worldwide, they have more than 5,000 servers in over 80 locations. While they have more servers than ExpressVPN, NordVPN covers a few less countries.
As a new subscriber, you can get three months of NordVPN for free. If you’re temporarily traveling abroad, this means you could have full access to a top-tier VPN without having to pay anything. Just be sure to check the terms of the promotion. You can also connect up to six devices at once, which means the whole family can get an American IP address for secure and unrestricted browsing.
Why Should I Use a VPN with a US IP Address?
So, why use an American IP address specifically? Freedom House ranks the US highly for having few limitations on internet content, thus allowing greater internet freedom. According to the report, “the government does not force ISPs or content hosts to block or filter online material (…).”
What’s more, by changing your IP address, you can unblock websites overseas. If you were wondering which country is best for streaming, we can tell you that America offers some of the greatest variety. The American Amazon Prime has access to around 18,250 titles, while the “second-best” Prime platform – the UK – has approximately 11,000. Similarly, American Netflix boasts around 5,655 titles, second only to Japan by a small margin.
So, if you’re traveling away from home or simply want access to the biggest streaming libraries, the US is a top choice. With an American IP address, you’ll also have access to a broad selection of other streaming services that include:
What Should I Look For in a US VPN Provider?
How do you choose a VPN provider when there are so many that offer American VPN servers? There are some factors you can look for, which are the same kind of points we consider when recommending a VPN. CyberGhost, ExpressVPN, and NordVPN all score highly in the below areas, which we consider vital for a reliable and trustworthy VPN:
- The VPN server locations available. This isn’t just about looking for American VPN servers. You should also consider whether you’re closer to a VPN server on the East or West coast of North America. What’s more, look for a VPN with a high volume of servers. This will help ensure that you get a fast and reliable connection when service demand is high.
- Any VPN data logging policies. Providers like ExpressVPN and NordVPN don’t log your browsing activity. Even in the event the authorities requested your browsing data, they wouldn’t be able to hand it over; they simply wouldn’t have it (though we don’t condone doing anything illegal!).
- The speed and stability of your VPN. For the fastest VPN speeds, look to subscription-based VPNs as the solution. Free VPNS commonly hamstring your connection speed or simply offer poorer quality servers. Conversely, ExpressVPN commonly reaches speeds of 600Mbps, while NordVPN has been known for up to 800Mbps in certain scenarios.
- Whether or not you can unblock websites in other countries. CyberGhost is our best VPN for American streaming owing to dedicated streaming servers, and a large number of American VPN servers. However, ExpressVPN has the best connection speeds for a USA VPN.
A VPN can help keep you safe and secure when you’re browsing online. What’s more, an American IP address will let you unblock streaming services in the US, giving you access to the most popular platforms with the biggest selection of titles. While free VPNs have their limitations, a subscription-based VPN will give you the best, most secure experience online. CyberGhost is our best VPN for streaming in America thanks in part to its dedicated streaming servers.
To unblock American websites or watch American TV abroad, you’ll need an American IP address. If you’ve got more questions about US VPN servers, check out our frequently asked questions below.
Changing your IP address to an American IP address only takes a few minutes:
- Choose a VPN provider, such as CyberGhost, the best VPN for the US.
- Download CyberGhost or another VPN client, and install it onto your device.
- Create an account and sign in.
- Find an American VPN server, or let the client find the fastest one for you.
- Connect to the VPN server, and enjoy unrestricted, more secure browsing.
You’ll find more detailed guidance and information on the best VPN providers in the full article.
If you want to unblock American Netflix or any other streaming service in the US, you’ll need to change your IP address to an American IP. Simply download a VPN service, find an American VPN server, and you’re all set. There’s more information in our full article, and you can also check out our guide to unblocking American Netflix.
You’re not restricted to a computer with the best VPN providers. Using a Netflix USA VPN like CyberGhost or ExpressVPN means that you can use multiple devices under one subscription. You can even get an American IP address on your iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or Android smartphone, or a smart TV.