Trying to get an IP address from Italy? You’ll need to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to change your IP! Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how to get an Italian IP address by using a VPN:
- Subscribe to a VPN service with servers in Italy. We recommend NordVPN, which has 60+ Italian VPN servers.
- Download NordVPN and install the software.
- Run the software and log in with your account.
- Find a VPN server in Italy and connect to it.
- Open your browser and enjoy! You’ll now be able to bypass online geographical restrictions on Italian websites.
It’s very easy to get an Italian IP address. Once you change your IP address to an Italian IP, you’ll be able to bypass geographical restrictions on Italian websites. This way, you can access Italian streaming services while vacationing overseas or stream Italian TV online, including channels like Canale 5, Italia 1, and more.
To change your IP address, you’ll need to pick a VPN (Virtual Private Network) provider and install their software. Once you connect to a VPN server in Italy, your IP address will change and mirror the IP of your chosen VPN server. Italian IP addresses are your ticket to accessing blocked websites in Italy and gaining greater security and freedom online!
How to Get an Italian IP Address from Anywhere
When you’re outside of Italy’s borders, you need to change your IP address to access blocked Italian websites. The same applies to websites in other countries, whether you’re trying to access German, Japanese, or Brazilian content. Your IP address indicates your location, so if you try to watch Italian TV online, for example, you’ll likely find yourself locked out. In fact, your IP address reveals much more: your ISP can even see what you’ve been doing online!
Luckily, once you download a VPN client and connect to a VPN server, you’ll enjoy greater protection from this kind of unwanted intrusion. Since your IP address changes to mirror the IP of the VPN server, it becomes much harder to track you and your browsing activity.
In short: connect to an Italian VPN server, and you’ll change your IP address to one based in Italy. Watching Italian TV won’t be a problem any longer! You should check out the other advantages of a VPN too, as this is just the tip of the iceberg.
How to get an Italian IP: Our step-by-step guide
Below, we’ll show you how to get an Italian IP address in just a few minutes. You don’t even need any technical knowledge, as the best VPNs are user-friendly and easy to install.
- Choose a VPN and start a subscription. For an Italian IP address, we recommend using NordVPN. This provider will provide you with fast VPN connections and has 60+ VPN servers in Italy! You’ll even have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try out NordVPN before you commit to a lengthier subscription.
- Download and install the software from the provider’s website. The best VPNs offer desktop clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux, in addition to a mobile application. Once your download is complete, install the client by following the steps.
- Run the VPN software and log in with the account you set up when you subscribed.
- Using the VPN software, choose a VPN server in Italy and connect to the server.
That’s it! You’re done. Now, you have an Italian IP address, and you should be able to bypass geoblocks as if you were in Italy yourself.
Free VS Paid VPNs
It might be very tempting to choose a free VPN service instead of a paid one. Free VPNs are good for certain tasks, though not for others, like streaming. Here’s a quick rundown of why we generally prefer to use premium VPNs over free versions:
- Free VPNs usually come with data limitations. This is one of the biggest limitations of a free VPN if you’re planning on streaming or watching Italian TV online. With most free providers, you’ll barely have enough data to finish a movie or two. With some, it’s unlikely you’ll even get through one episode of a series.
- Most free VPNs offer limited server locations, which could make it hard to find an Italian VPN server. For example, ProtonVPN Free has VPN servers in Japan, the US, and The Netherlands, meaning you won’t be able to get an Italian IP address. However, paid service ExpressVPN covers 160 locations across 94 countries worldwide.
- Free VPNs typically have slower connection speeds compared to premium VPNs. This can be the result of numerous users connecting to a limited number of servers, but some providers also purposefully throttle your speed on a free VPN server.
- Some free VPNs log your data and may sell it to marketing agencies. While this isn’t true of all free VPNs, there have been plenty of free VPN providers that logged user information or even used their app to spread malware. Premium VPNs are typically much more serious about data security. ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two truly no-logs VPNs.
If you do decide to use a free VPN, we wouldn’t want you to choose an untrustworthy provider that might log your data or infect your device. Check out our list of the best free VPNs to make sure your data is safe.
Otherwise, our best VPN for Italy is NordVPN. They offer dozens of servers in Italy alone, with thousands of servers available worldwide. Connection speeds are among the best in the industry and can reach up to 600-800Mbps. There’s no data logging, and you’ll have access to advanced security options.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
Keep reading to see other premium VPNs we recommend for getting an Italian IP address.
Is Using a VPN to Get an Italian IP Safe?
If you’re not familiar with VPNs, it’s understandable that you’re cautious. We recommend doing your research on any new software you download. However, the good news is that using a VPN to get an Italian IP address is safe. Not only that, it’ll even improve your online freedom and security! Here’s how:
- When you connect to a VPN server, you change your IP address. This happens automatically and means that you’ll be masquerading as an internet user from another country. Choose an Italian VPN server, and you’ll be surfing with an Italian IP! In addition to unblocking Italian websites, you, your location, and your browsing activity will be harder to track. This means you’ll be browsing the web with more anonymity and privacy.
- VPNs encrypt your data traffic, which means that anything you upload or download from the internet will be encrypted. The same applies to your personal information, such as card details, usernames, and passwords you enter online. Sure, your home network might be secure, but what about public Wi-Fi hotspots? It’s not uncommon for hackers to eavesdrop on such insecure networks to siphon off valuable data. With a VPN, they no longer can.
- Downloading with a VPN is safer and more anonymous. Other members of your P2P (peer-to-peer) file transfer network won’t be able to see your IP. Instead, they’ll see the VPN server’s IP. Your location will remain unknown, and it’ll be much harder for others to peek at what you’re downloading.
We could talk for hours about VPNs and their benefits, but to cut it short, you’ll generally be safer online when using a VPN. Just be sure to follow the usual best practices of the internet, such as avoiding suspicious email attachments and only sharing your personal information with trusted companies.
The Best VPN for an Italian IP Address
There are a lot of VPN providers offering servers in Italy. However, some are faster than others, and some have a bigger number of Italian VPN servers. More servers means fewer potential interruptions to your speed and connectivity. Check out the best VPNs for an Italian IP address below and get the best experience..
1. NordVPN: The best VPN for an Italy IP address
- Around 5,200 VPN servers worldwide
- At least 60 lightning-fast VPN servers in Italy
- Has a verified “no logs” policy
- Advanced security features, including DNS leak protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee for new subscribers
NordVPN is our top pick for an Italian IP address. There are around 60 Italian servers alone, while NordVPN has about 5,200 VPN servers worldwide. Some of these servers are designed specifically for P2P file transfers. That’s right: NordVPN allows torrenting. In terms of connection speeds, NordVPN is one of the fastest VPN providers available. This makes it ideal for streaming Italian TV online. We’ve confirmed that Italian streams like Canale 5, Italia 1, and LA7 all work with NordVPN.
If you’re big on security, NordVPN is also one of the best VPN providers to choose. With this VPN, you get 256-bit AES encryption, which is the standard used by the government and military. You’ll also enjoy DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and advanced security configuration features. As a cherry on top, NordVPN guarantees that it won’t log your browsing data.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if you want to give it a whirl. You can download the software for your desktop computer — the program supports Windows, Mac, and Linux — or you can download the NordVPN app for Android or iOS. If you want the best online security, check out how to install NordVPN on your router!
2. Surfshark: Get an Italian IP address cheaper
- Fast connection speeds
- Can unblock Netflix, other streaming services, and Italian TV online
- Offers unlimited simultaneous connections
- NoBorders mode helps in countries with stringent restrictions
- Strong security features, including leak protection
Surfshark is our best VPN with low subscription fees. With Surfshark, you’ll still be getting a top VPN that’s packed with features. Connections are fast, and you can connect an unlimited number of devices under a single subscription. You’ll also be able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming services. And yes, it also works to watch Italian TV online, including channels like Italia 1 and Rai TV!
If you’re worried about security, you’ll get along just fine with Surfshark too. This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, protects against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks, and gives you both a kill switch and ad-blocker. You’ll also have access to a “NoBorders” mode, which lets you use Surfshark in highly restricted regions like China. This mode makes sure you have access to the best VPN servers that work well in areas with stringent internet restrictions.
3. ExpressVPN: Unblock Italian websites quickly
- One of the best VPNs for unblocking streaming services
- Can unblock Netflix Italy from overseas
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Includes a kill switch
- One of the most user-friendly VPN apps
- Automatically chooses the fastest VPN server in your chosen location
- 24/7 customer service
ExpressVPN is pretty much on-par with NordVPN in terms of speed. While we’ve ranked this VPN as your third option, it’s one of our best VPNs that we readily recommend for pretty much any scenario. However, Surfshark slips into second place for those looking to save a few bucks each month. ExpressVPN is also one of the best VPNs for unblocking streaming services. We were able to access Italian TV channels like LA7 and Rai online. You can also unblock Netflix Italy while traveling abroad.
Like NordVPN, ExpressVPN offers 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch in case your connection drops out. The application is super-easy to use, even for beginners, and if you get stuck, you’ve got great customer service available round the clock.
Why Should I Get an Italian IP Address?
An Italian IP address will allow you to bypass geoblocks on Italian websites. This means you can watch Italian TV online and access your Italian bank account from overseas without being locked out. The same applies to VPN servers and blocked websites in other countries: if you want to bypass geoblocks in the US, you’ll need to get a US IP address.
The benefits don’t end there. You can access other countries’ Netflix libraries by using a VPN, which means you’ll be able to watch a lot more content. Check out the table in our article on watching American Netflix and you’ll see what we mean!
Of course, once you’ve changed your IP address to an Italian IP, you’ll be able to access some of the most popular Italian TV channels without having to cross borders. These include streams and websites such as:
What Should I Look For in a VPN for an Italian IP?
Whether you want to get an Italian IP address or one in any other country, the things you should consider when shopping for VPN services don’t really change. These are the same factors we used to compare VPNs when recommending the best VPN for an Italian IP.
- Look at the VPN provider’s data logging policy. The best VPNs for an Italian IP, like NordVPN and Surfshark, won’t log your browsing activity. While this doesn’t give you complete online impunity, it does mean you can rest assured that your data is safe with these companies.
- Check out how many VPN server locations and countries are supported. For an Italian IP, you’ll want as many servers in Italy as possible.
- Check whether the VPN is able to unblock Netflix, other streaming services, and other websites, depending on which streams and platforms you’re looking to access.
- Consider the speed and stability of the VPN connections offered by your potential provider. The fastest VPNs are available under a subscription plan since most free VPN servers are slow and crowded. Surfshark and NordVPN are the fastest VPNs available right now, and they’re our best VPNs for streaming or watching TV online.
Using a VPN will keep you safer when you connect to the internet. By changing your IP address, you cloak your true identity and location from people who could otherwise track you. What’s more, with a VPN, you can get an Italian IP address and unblock Italian Netflix, streaming sites, and TV channels online. This doesn’t just work for Italy: you can unblock streaming services and websites in any country of your choice. Simply decide which country you’d like to visit — digitally, that is — and connect to a VPN server there!
If you want to access your Italian bank account from overseas or unblock websites in Italy, you’ll need to get an Italian IP address. Below, we’ve listed some frequently asked questions about getting an Italy IP.
To get an Italian IP address, follow our step-by-step guide below:
- Choose a VPN provider that offers VPN servers in Italy, like NordVPN, and subscribe to it.
- Download and install the VPN software or use the mobile application if you’re on a phone or tablet.
- Run the software and log in to your VPN account.
- Find a VPN server in Italy using the software client.
- Connect to the Italian VPN server to change your IP address!
You’ll find more information on Italian IP addresses and VPNs in our full article.
If you want to change your IP address to make it appear as if you’re in another country, you’ll need to download a VPN. When you connect to a VPN, your IP address changes to mirror the IP of the VPN server. So, if you connect to a VPN server in the United States, your IP address will change to a US IP. Thanks to great VPNs like ExpressVPN, which supports 94 countries, you can unblock websites abroad with ease!
Unfortunately, most trustworthy free VPN providers have servers in very few countries, and usually, Italy isn’t one of them. Luckily, the free version of TunnelBear, the number four on our list of best free VPNs, does give you access to a VPN server in Italy. However, keep in mind that free VPNs, including TunnelBear, often work with data limits, meaning you’ll soon run out of data and be unable to use it without a (paid) upgrade.