Crunchyroll’s library is different in each country. It’s the Netflix of anime, and just like Netflix, the library varies depending upon where you are, primarily due to syndication and distribution rights. It’s not always feasible to make content available across the globe!
As you can guess, that’s expensive. And it might not always be profitable for them. But, you can watch Crunchyroll and circumvent these geographical restrictions by changing your IP. Here’s how:
- Subscribe to a VPN. We recommend PIA.
- Download and install the VPN. Your system will guide you through the process.
- Open the app and connect to a US server. This works with other servers, but the US library of Crunchyroll is the best.
- Open Crunchyroll and sign-up or log in to your account.
- Enjoy restricted content!
Crunchyroll is the home of anime fans. From obscure manga and anime video games to the most popular anime series, it’s all available on the platform. However, you’ll want to know how to unblock content on Crunchyroll, because a lot of the content is not available worldwide.
Some series are only available to US audiences. With over 1,000 titles and 30,000 episodes of different anime, Crunchyroll is one of the biggest names in the online world.
Sony’s Funimation bought out Crunchyroll for $1.2 billion in August 2021, and it’s now available on multiple devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, the PlayStation, Roku, and popular mobile devices.
However, if you are not based in the US, you can’t enjoy it, unless you have a VPN.
Why You Need a VPN For Crunchyroll
Online content like movies, TV shows, anime, or manga can’t be freely shared by everyone. Distribution companies own the rights for their distribution. Streaming platforms like Crunchyroll need to purchase these rights to distribute them online in different regions.
However, these rights don’t apply worldwide. If Crunchyroll wants to distribute Attack on Titan all across the globe, they’ll need to purchase AOT distribution rights for each country where they want to make it available.
So what if you want to watch a show that’s not on your country’s version of Crunchyroll? A VPN will come in handy here.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) sends your internet traffic through servers in different countries, effectively changing your IP address. With a VPN active, Crunchyroll will assess the VPN’s IP address and treat you like a visitor from that country.
So for example, if you connect to a VPN server from New York, you’ll access the US version of Crunchyroll when you visit their site. By the way, the US version of Crunchyroll has the most titles in its library.
How to Access Crunchyroll From Anywhere
If you’re new to the world of VPNs, don’t worry. “Private network” and “changing IP addresses” may sound complicated, but it’s really easy to use a VPN to access Crunchyroll. Here’s what you need to do:
- Subscribe to a VPN. We recommend PIA, as it’s very secure and relatively fast. Most importantly, it has a lot of US servers, letting you unlock Crunchyroll content.
- Download and install the VPN you chose. You’ll usually get guidance through this whole process from the VPN site, so it’s just a matter of running the install wizard.
- Connect to a US server. You can access a lot of Crunchyroll content from other countries, but the US library is the largest.
- Go to Crunchyroll.com. If you don’t have a Crunchyroll account, you’ll have to sign up for one first.
- Login to your account.
- Enjoy Crunchyroll content from anywhere! Crunchyroll is free with ads!
So what are you missing if you don’t access the US library of Crunchyroll? We did some digging to figure this out. We accessed Crunchyroll with an Eastern European IP address and then used a VPN to change our IP to a US address. Here are some shows we could only access on US Crunchyroll:
- The original Naruto (2002)
- Attack On Titan
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Death Note
If you want to watch Crunchyroll and enjoy its entire library, especially the classic anime series, you’ll absolutely need a US IP address.
The Best VPNs tor Crunchyroll
All the VPNs below unblock the Crunchyroll catalog, but also maintain higher security for your device. They encrypt your connection and employ extra security features like a kill switch. This functionality keeps you protected against attempted network attacks.
So which one should you pick? What VPN is the best one for your needs? Let’s round up three of the best VPNs to use with Crunchyroll, why they’re great, and why we prefer them.
1. PIA: Guaranteed to access Crunchyroll with US IP addresses
Private Internet Access is one of our top 5 best VPNs. It’s not as fast as some of the other entries on the list, especially with faraway servers. So if you live pretty far from the US, you might want to consider other options.
But it’s an amazing VPN to unlock Crunchyroll for a few different reasons:
- Its security and no data-logs policy. This means that you’re safe while enjoying your favorite anime series.
- A large number of US servers. PIA has over 15 servers in the United States, on the East, and West coasts.
- It’s easy to use. Even if it has some potential design drawbacks, they can easily be overcome. The main framework is easy to understand and use.
- It’s affordable. PIA has a very nominal price point, especially when subscribing for a longer period, costing as little as $2.03 per month.
So if you want a simple solution and don’t want to think about the problem too much, just pick PIA.
- Strong focus on privacy and security
- Good price
- Fast and stable servers
PIA also has dedicated IP addresses, which help you watch Crunchyroll, as well as unblock other streaming services with ease.
PIA (Private Internet Access) is a wonderful VPN for accessing Crunchyroll. It’s one of the safest and most privacy-centric VPNs out there. But, it does have its drawbacks. And, there are other options on the market.
2. CyberGhost: Good servers, better interface
CyberGhost has a very similar price point to PIA. It’s also got a lot of servers in the US, and it’s pretty fast. Not to mention, it’s a great choice for overall streaming if you want to watch other streaming platforms. That’s because CyberGhost has specialized servers for particular streaming services.
But CyberGhost’s biggest benefit? Its usability. CyberGhost is extremely intuitive and beginner-friendly. If that’s what you’re looking for, CyberGhost is a great option. It’s also very cheap, with prices starting from $2.25 per month.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
3. Surfshark: Gets the job done on a budget
Surfshark is another great VPN for international streaming, and it can unblock Crunchyroll. It’s not that different from the other options on the list. Surfshark has:
- Fast servers. It’s a fast VPN, so you won’t have to worry about buffering when trying to stream your favorite anime.
- Great security. While it’s not proven in court, like PIA’s security is, Surfshark still maintains world-class safety and privacy.
- A decent price. Not to mention, Surfshark often runs discounts and offers that you can leverage to get a great deal.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
What Can You Watch on Crunchyroll?
Crunchyroll has everything an anime mega fan would like to binge on. From the original Naruto to newer releases like Blade Runner: The Black Lotus (which is a Crunchyroll original). If you love Japanese animation, you’ll love to have a Crunchyroll fan membership.
If you followed the steps above and managed to unblock Crunchyroll, here are some of the shows you can watch with the free version, all the way up to the Ultimate and Mega fan subscription:
- Naruto (2002)
- Death Note
- Black Clover
- Attack on Titan
- One Piece
- Blade Runner: The Black Lotus
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- My Hero Academia
- One-Punch Man
And many others! The entire library of Crunchyroll’s streaming service is impressive. But anime is not the only thing on Crunchyroll.
Other content on Crunchyroll
Users of the streaming service can also enjoy famous manga like Genshin Impact or Attack on Titan. On top of that, Crunchyroll features anime-inspired video games and a store for Japanese animation merchandise.
Reading manga is a great perk for an anime streaming service. A lot of the popular anime shows are based on manga, like Attack on Titan.
The Crunchyroll store is also amazing for any otaku. It features anime-inspired merchandise like figurines, clothes, or home goods. If you like Japanese animation, you’ll love the Crunchyroll store.
Watching Crunchyroll offline
Ever wanted to watch offline anime? It’s possible with a Crunchyroll premium account. The ad-free experience is also great, but a Crunchyroll premium account lets users enjoy offline viewing on top of that.
If that’s something that interests you, keep in mind that it’s only possible on mobile devices. While apps like Netflix let you download content on PCs as well, a Crunchyroll membership will only get you offline viewing for iOS or Android devices.
Conclusion: Accessing the Best Crunchyroll Library
Otakus everywhere can enjoy their favorite manga, games, and anime with Crunchyroll. However, the library of the platform is not comprehensive all across the world. If you want to circumvent those geographical blocks, a VPN will help you.
Everything we’ve explained today doesn’t just apply to Crunchyroll. Here are our guides on other platforms that you can unlock with the same VPN you use on Crunchyroll:
If our article didn’t answer everything you wanted to know about watching Crunchyroll, don’t worry. We hope the Frequently Asked Questions section below will have what you’re looking for.
Yes, Crunchyroll is free, as long as you’re willing to put up with some ads. If you don’t want to bear through the ads, you can also pay for a Crunchyroll subscription. They have different tiers, like the Fan or Mega Fan subscription. The cheapest one is $7.99/month, while the most expensive one (Ultimate Fan) is $14.99/month.
Keep in mind that all subscription tiers also come with a 14-days free trial period. If you want to find out more about Crunchyroll, read our article here.
Crunchyroll doesn’t own distribution rights to share all anime all across the globe. That’s why, if you access the platform from a specific country, you’ll only be able to watch the anime that Crunchyroll is allowed to share in that country, even if you get the mega fan subscription.
But there’s a catch. You can circumvent these geographical restrictions. Read our article to find out how.