At the moment, censorship in Myanmar requires you to use a VPN if you want access to international news and banned social media platorms.
A VPN encrypts your data and allows you to bypass geographical internet restrictions. While the junta has made VPN use illegal in Myanmar, people don’t see any other way to stay in contact with each other and access information.
If you are looking to use a VPN in Myanmar, stay cautious and only use the most trustworthy VPNs:
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for a Myanmar IP address
- NordVPN: Lightning-fast VPN with excellent security
- Surfshark: Most affordable premium VPN
- Private Internet Access: Solid VPN with a huge server network
- CyberGhost: Easy-to-use VPN with secure features
ExpressVPN is the only premium VPN that can provide a Myanmar IP address, plus it offers fast speeds and robust security and privacy.
Myanmar has been in political turmoil since military forces overthrew its democratic government in February 2021. Government surveillance is prevalent. Telecommunications are frequently shut down. And there’s a long list of restricted websites and social media apps. The only way to safely access blocked websites and apps is by using a Myanmar VPN.
Are you looking for a safe and reliable virtual private network? After testing 20+ VPN providers, we recommend ExpressVPN as our best Myanmar VPN, followed closely by other VPNs that provide a vast server network, robust security protocols, and strong encryption.
Below you can find a full overview of the best VPNs for Myanmar in 2022.
Which VPN is Best for Myanmar?
The Tatmadaw, Myanmar’s military junta, has been disrupting access to the internet since 2021. Independent news sites are denied a license to operate, and even access to Wikipedia is blocked.
Social media sites and communication apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, and Instagram are also restricted in Myanmar. On top of that, Myanmar citizens suffer near-constant surveillance of personal communications.
To bypass censorship in Myanmar and visit blocked or restricted websites, you need to get a virtual IP address from a different country. You can also hide your real IP address and use a different Myanmar IP address to protect your identity. Both these can be achieved by using a VPN.
We tested over 20 different VPNs on multiple fronts, including security, speed, usability, and VPN server network. Below is an overview.
|Number of servers||3,000+||5,000+||3,200+||35,000||6,900+|
|Number of countries||94||50||100||75||88|
|Protocols||OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPsec, Lightway||OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard||OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard||OpenVPN, WireGuard, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP||OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard|
|Price||From $6.67 a month||From $2.99 a month||From $1.99 a month||From $2.19 a month||From $2.03 a month|
|Purchase||Get ExpressVPN||Get NordVPN||Get Surfshark||Get PIA||Get CyberGhost|
We dive deeper into each provider’s features and offers below.
Top 5 Best VPNs for Myanmar
VPNs redirect your internet connection through a virtual or physical server, thereby giving you a different IP address. If you use a VPN to get an Australian IP address, for example, websites will think you’re located in Australia even if you’re actually in Myanmar.
Using a different IP address hides your real IP address, which is tied to your physical location and possibly your identity. An international IP address will also let you access websites that usually block a Myanmar IP address.
Here are our top VPN recommendations for Myanmar in detail.
1. ExpressVPN: The best VPN for a Myanmar IP address
- One server location in Myanmar
- Servers in 90+ countries
- Lightning-fast servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Stealth servers to bypass restrictions
ExpressVPN is one of the most well-known and fastest VPN providers in the world. Though it’s more expensive than its competitors, ExpressVPN is extremely reliable when it comes to circumventing government censorship.
What’s more, ExpressVPN is the only premium VPN with a server in Myanmar. If you need a Burmese IP address, then ExpressVPN is what you need.
For accessing blocked websites, ExpressVPN is also an ideal choice. It has servers specifically designed to work in even the most restrictive regions. These Stealth Servers allow you to hide your traffic from your internet service provider and access international news websites like BBC News without issue.
When it comes to privacy and security features, ExpressVPN is certainly not lacking. ExpressVPN’s encrypted tunnel, layered with AES 256-bit encryption, will keep your browsing data safe. On top of that, this VPN provider offers a wide variety of VPN protocols, as well as a Network Lock and even a Threat Manager to scan for malware.
ExpressVPN is also a verified no-logs VPN. They only store your data on RAM servers, which means nothing ever ends up on a hard disk. In a country like Myanmar, this is a necessity, as your data can’t be stolen — because it doesn’t exist. You can read more about how this works in our detailed ExpressVPN review.
Want to see if ExpressVPN is worth your money? This VPN provider also has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
2. NordVPN: Lightning-fast VPN with excellent security
- Obfuscation tech that hides your VPN traffic
- 5000+ servers in more than 60 countries
- Verified no-log VPN
- 24/7 live chat support
NordVPN comes in second place on our list because it can make your VPN traffic look like regular internet traffic. With NordVPN’s Obfsproxy technology, your VPN use is hidden from government-controlled or monitored websites.
NordVPN’s obfuscation tech is the same as the one used by Tor, the dark web browser, which allows people in highly censored regions to go online unrestricted. This means you can unblock Facebook without the government knowing you’re using a VPN.
And while NordVPN doesn’t offer any local servers in Myanmar, the MultiHop feature allows you to run your VPN connection via two VPN servers for extra layers of protection.
Speaking of data protection: NordVPN uses military-grade encryption and runs on the most robust VPN protocols available, including OpenVPN. On top of that, it has an automatic kill switch and strong DNS leak protection to keep your activity private, even when your VPN connection fails. This makes it much safer to go on public Wi-Fi networks.
Finally, NordVPN is a very user-friendly VPN with 24/7 customer support, the option to request dedicated IP addresses, and fast and reliable VPN connection speeds. With a server network of over 5,000 VPN servers, you can get an IP address in most countries.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
3. Surfshark: Most affordable VPN for Myanmar
- Unlimited simultaneous connections on one subscription
- NoBorders mode to bypass strict censorship
- Offers local Myanmar IP addresses
- Split tunnel feature
Surfshark is the most affordable top-performing VPN in the business. This user-friendly VPN allows for unlimited simultaneous connections on one account, meaning it’s the perfect family VPN.
When it comes to security features, Surfshark VPN won’t let you down. It’s a verified zero-logs policy VPN that offers OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2 and is compatible with Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. It also has a split tunneling feature that allows you to choose which internet traffic runs via the encrypted tunnel of your VPN.
On top of that, Surfshark’s obfuscation technology, called Camouflage Mode, is designed to get you around the strictest forms of censorship. Add to this their NoBorders feature (which shows you several servers to use in heavily restricted regions), and you will be able to unblock any content you like.
You won’t have to worry about your online privacy, either. This VPN provider doesn’t keep any logs, and the built-in kill switch will keep your browsing activity from leaking.
Finally, Surfshark VPN has a great reputation for unblocking websites and streaming services, as well as allowing internet users to safely torrent files. Despite being a budget VPN, Surfshark has 3,000 servers in 100 countries. This allows you to access tons of information with IP addresses from all around the world!
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
4. Private Internet Access: Solid VPN with a huge server network
- Very competitively priced
- 35,000 servers to connect to
- Pay with cryptocurrencies
- Ad blocker included
Private Internet Access, also known as PIA, deserves its spot in our top five VPNs for Myanmar based on the great value for money it offers. While there are no local Myanmar servers, this privacy-focused, quality VPN company offers an extensive network (35,000 servers) and provides you with solid security features and obfuscation over OpenVPN.
Like the other VPN services in this list, PIA pays a great deal of attention to privacy and anonymity online. For example, this VPN provider allows you to purchase your subscription with various cryptocurrencies if you’d like. This means you can stay completely anonymous, a great benefit in a country like Myanmar.
When it comes to software, the Private Internet Access VPN client is compact and generally easy to use. It’s not one of the fastest VPNs, but its speeds are still very decent. More importantly, Private Internet Access is a very pleasant and secure VPN for everyday use. The built-in kill switch, ad blocker, and browser extensions are all great features.
Though Private Internet Access is located in the United States, they store all their user data on a null device that treats all incoming data as if it doesn’t exist. You won’t have to worry about any logs. Want to learn more? Check out our full PIA review for all the details.
- Strong focus on privacy and security
- Good price
- Fast and stable servers
5. CyberGhost: Easy-to-use VPN with secure features
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Great beginner VPN
- Several servers are optimized for streaming
- 6,900 servers across 88 countries
CyberGhost is a very reliable, user-friendly, and secure VPN. You can connect up to seven different devices with your CyberGhost account and even request dedicated IP addresses. Using a dedicated IP address makes your VPN usage less likely to be detected as you’ll be using the same IP address every time you use your VPN.
It’s a solid and affordable VPN with a wide range of server options: while they don’t have any servers in Myanmar itself, you can connect to over 6,900 servers in nearly 90 countries. CyberGhost also has special P2P servers that support torrenting with BitTorrent and uTorrent.
One thing to keep in mind is that CyberGhost doesn’t offer special obfuscation or stealth servers. This means that it relies on industry-standard encryption: it still has 256-bit AES encryption, a built-in kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and different VPN protocols, including WireGuard and OpenVPN.
CyberGhost isn’t as feature-rich as other VPN providers, but it does have great customer support and a 24/7 live chat. CyberGhost also has the longest trial period of any VPN: there’s a money-back guarantee of 45 days!
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
How We Picked the Best VPNs for Myanmar
After the coup of 2021, the online media landscape in Myanmar has been kept in the iron fist of the military. Everything you do online is monitored. This is why it’s essential to pick a VPN service that actually keeps your data safe at all times.
When testing our VPNs, we pay specific attention to the following characteristics:
- Top-notch encryption and security features. Your VPN needs to have unbreakable encryption, as well as a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and ideally, a malware or spyware tracker. On top of that, obfuscation technology that hides your VPN use from your internet service provider, allows you to browse the web without the risk of the military coming after you for using a VPN service.
- Usability. When using a VPN, it should run smoothly, offer great customer support, and be easy enough to navigate for beginners as well as experienced users. On top of that, it’s a great benefit if you can have unlimited connections on your VPN account.
- Server network. Finally, it’s important that your VPN connects you to the rest of the world and allows you to unblock banned websites you want access to. The larger a VPN server network, the higher your unblocking possibilities. VPN providers that offer multiple servers in the region, as well as local IP addresses in Myanmar, are a plus.
All VPN services listed in this article score highly on these fronts.
Why Does Myanmar Block Websites?
Myanmar has a long history of censorship, such as when it comes to banning LGBTQ+ websites or content related to alcohol or drug use. Since the 2021 military coup, however, censorship has reached new heights. In its 2022 report, Freedom House rated Myanmar a 12 out of 100 in freedom on the net.
The official justification for this censorship is national security. In reality, though, censorship is mainly used as an oppressive tool to keep anti-military sentiment from spreading. By increasing surveillance and cutting people off from independent news sources, the junta attempts to hold the Myanmar population under control.
Which websites are blocked in Myanmar?
While the list of blocked and restricted websites in Myanmar keeps growing every day, the following content is permanently restricted:
- Any website, platform, or app that can be considered a threat to state security
- Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Foreign news websites, including BBC and CNN
- Several websites belonging to NGOs and human rights organizations
- Various streaming sites
- Pornography sites
- Online gambling sites
- Crypto-trading platforms
- Dating and sexual education sites
Messaging apps are also heavily monitored. VPN services and other circumvention tools, such as proxies, are also officially banned.
Are VPNs Legal in Myanmar?
Using a VPN service is not legal in Myanmar. In fact, it’s punishable by law to do so. The junta has been known to confiscate people’s phones on the street to check for VPN connections. Besides North Korea and Iran, Myanmar is one of the strongest oppressors of circumvention tools in the world.
However, since VPNs are generally difficult to detect, especially when using obfuscation software, people in Myanmar continue to use virtual private networks as a way to communicate with one another and access independent news.
When using a VPN in Myanmar, remain cautious at all times and don’t conduct any illegal business even when using a VPN. The risk is simply too high. For regular use, a VPN service like ExpressVPN is designed to keep you safe, even in heavily restricted areas such as Myanmar, China, or Thailand.
What if My VPN is Blocked?
If you’re located in Myanmar, you might struggle to access VPN providers to download the required software. Luckily, there are a variety of other ways you can bypass censorship. We highlight a few of them:
- Contact a VPN provider’s customer service and request a link to a mirror site. NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and Surfshark all have mirror versions of their websites, specifically created for highly-censored regions.
- Use The Onion Browser (Tor) to browse the web. This anonymous browser allows you to access websites that are otherwise blocked, including many VPN sites.
- With caution, you can download a VPN service from an alternative software platform such as Softpedia or an alternative app store like TutuApp (VPN app for iOS) or AppBrain (VPN app for Android). Just make sure you only download VPN software from trusted VPN providers.
VPNs to Avoid
Users in Myanmar should make careful decisions about what VPN they use, considering the potential consequences. We compiled a list of VPN services to avoid, as these providers fail at protecting your data and traffic.
|VPN Provider||Why You Should Avoid It|
|Beet VPN||This VPN keeps extensive user data logs and is therefore too risky for Myanmar.|
|Tuxler VPN||Even the premium version of Tuxler lacks basic security and strong encryption.|
|Hola VPN||Hola VPN logs all your data and is actually a proxy rather than a real VPN.|
|X-VPN||X-VPN’s kill switch doesn’t work, and the provider keeps logs.|
|VPN Gate||This free VPN keeps logs and a confusing server network with limited options.|
Considering the high risks, we recommend that you choose one of the VPN services we recommend rather than sketchy or untrustworthy providers.
Can I use a free VPN in Myanmar?
We don’t recommend using free VPNs in Myanmar. Admittedly, there are some good free VPNs on the market. But more often than not, free VPNs come with faulty software, poor security, limited privacy protection, and restrictions on server and bandwidth use.
On top of that, free VPNs are not known to have the best track records when it comes to heavily restricted regions, such as Myanmar.
There are various risks to using a free VPN:
- With free VPNs, your data can be sold to third parties, with the increased risk of your personal information ending up with the Myanmar authorities.
- Some free VPNs come with poor-functioning software and a higher risk of malware-infected programs.
- There are all sorts of limitations on your use, including data caps and bandwidth throttling of your internet connection.
- Free VPN services often have limited VPN server networks that don’t actually allow you to unblock banned content.
For this reason, we strongly recommend downloading a secure but affordable VPN service like ExpressVPN instead of using an unreliable free VPN.
Protect Yourself Against Military Surveillance in Myanmar
At the moment, the hostile and oppressive political environment in Myanmar requires people to take the reins into their own hands when it comes to cybersecurity and internet freedom.
Anyone who wants to access independent news, stay in contact with friends and family, protect their internet connection, or keep their private data from the prying eyes of the military junta, has to use a VPN to unblock content and encrypt their online activity.
Since VPN use is illegal and officially banned in Myanmar, however, only the best VPN providers in the business are safe enough to use. This is our top 5 best VPN services for Myanmar:
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for a Myanmar IP address
- NordVPN: Lightning-fast VPN with excellent security
- Surfshark: Most affordable premium VPN
- Private Internet Acess: Solid VPN with a huge server network
- CyberGhost: Easy-to-use VPN with secure features
Are you wondering how to safely use a VPN in Myanmar? Or which VPN you should choose? Check out our FAQ below for some answers!
You can get a VPN in Myanmar by downloading and installing a VPN directly from the provider’s website. For example, NordVPN, one of the best VPNs in the world, is a great pick for Myanmar.
If you’re unable to reach the VPN’s website, you can try to get there via the Tor browser or use a different way to bypass censorship.
If you want to get access to independent news and unblock restricted content in Myanmar, you’ll need a VPN. A VPN also keeps your data encrypted, which provides you with an important layer of cyber protection.
Keep in mind that using a VPN in Myanmar is illegal. While the consequences of using a VPN remain unclear, we recommend you stay cautious and only use VPN software you trust.
NordVPN does not have any local servers in Myanmar. They do have servers in neighboring countries. A good alternative VPN that does have a server in Myanmar is ExpressVPN.
We don’t recommend using a free VPN in Myanmar. Since the authorities have made VPN use illegal, using a free VPN is a risk. This is because free providers often lack the technology to make your VPN connection look like regular internet traffic.
While good free VPNs do exist, the risk in Myanmar is too high.
No, using a free VPN in Myanmar is not safe. A free VPN often comes with risky privacy settings and subpar security features. Your data will likely be exposed to the military junta.
If you want to bypass censorship in Myanmar, the best thing to do is invest in a trustworthy premium VPN with obfuscation technology. That way, your VPN use will be hidden.