When you install a VPN on your Android TV you will gain access to more content online in a secure way. You can, for instance, watch movies that are only available outside your country. There a three ways to install a VPN on your Android TV:
We recommend using ExpressVPN for your Android TV, because it offers great speeds for streaming.
Android TV is a smart-TV platform designed by Google, which uses the Android operating system. You can watch movies and tv-shows, or listen to music, through various apps. You could, for instance, stream Spotify and Kodi. When you protect your Android TV with a VPN, your internet provider won’t be able to see what you watch. On top of that, you will get access to Netflix content that is only available in other countries. There are several ways to install a VPN on your Android TV. The easiest way to do this is to use a VPN app, but you could also manually install the VPN on a (virtual) router. This article will describe how to do this.
How Do I Install a VPN on my Android TV?
There are three different ways to install a VPN on your Android TV. The easiest way is by simply downloading an app from the Play Store. Sadly, not all VPN providers offer such an app. If that is the case, you can choose to install a VPN on your router or on a virtual router.
Installing a VPN on your Android TV: App in the Play Store
Many large VPN providers have their own software. This often means that they will also have an Android app available. If your provider has an app available in the Google Play Store you can install it on your Android TV. If you’re not sure about which VPN to go with, than you might want to scroll down to the section where we discuss the available options.
Below you can find a step-by-step guide to install a VPN on your Android TV by using an app in the Play Store:
- Go to your chosen VPN’s website, for instance ExpressVPN’s website, and create an account. Choose your subscription and method of payment and pick a secure password.
- Look for your providers VPN app in the App Store on your Android TV and download the VPN software.
- Open the app and log into your account, using the details from step one.
- The app is now ready to go. Choose the VPN server that you want to use. Consider that this choice also determines what content is available to you. Do you want access to the American Netflix? Then choose a server in the US.
- Turn on the VPN by pressing the ‘on’ button or click ‘connect’.
Your Android TV is now protected by the VPN. You can use the TV as you normally would, while enjoying the safety, anonymity, and access to blocked content!
Installing a VPN on your Android TV: VPN on Your Router
When a VPN is installed on your router, all of the devices that connect to the internet through that connection will be protected. Therefore, your Android TV will be too. If you want to do this, your router has to be suitable for this type of use.
Setting up a VPN on your router could prove to be somewhat technically challenging. You will have to change the firmware on your router to prepare it for use with a VPN. This is called flashing. You can install a VPN on your router by following the steps below:
- Check if your router is suitable for “flashing”. Read all about this in our article with the best VPN routers.
- Choose a VPN that works on a router, for instance ExpressVPN, and create an account.
- Change the firmware on your router and install a VPN on it. You can find an extended guide on how to do this in our article about installing a VPN on your router.
- Connect your Android TV (and any other device) to the Wi-Fi network of your flashed router. Your Android TV is now protected with a VPN.
Installing a VPN on your Android TV: VPN on a Virtual Router on your PC or Mac
If your router isn’t suitable for flashing you can also connect your Android TV to virtual router, which is basically a Wi-Fi hotpot, on your PC or Mac. If you install a VPN on this PC or Mac and connect your TV to it, your Android TV will also be protected. You can achieve this by following these steps:
- Install a VPN on your PC or Mac. This is very easy, since most VPN providers have easy installation wizards and simple guides.
- Create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac so your Android TV can connect to it.
- Connect your Android TV to this VPN-protected network on your PC or Mac.
The Best VPN for your Android TV
Are you still looking for a VPN for your Android TV? We can make a recommendation! If you want more options or try out several VPNs, you should have a look at our article “VPN on Your Android TV”. We discuss the three best options in that article. Do you want to choose a VPN all by yourself? Then you can use our reviews to compare and contrast many options.
ExpressVPN for Android TV: Streaming at Rapid Speeds
One of the best and most popular VPNs at the moment is ExpressVPN. This provider stands out when you look at streaming quality as well. ExpressVPN is very easy to use in combination with an Android TV because of its nifty Play Store app. With the ExpressVPN servers you will always be able to reach high speeds in the safest possible way. We have ranked ExpressVPN at the top of our list after researching the fastest VPN provider, which is perfect for streaming. If you use a slow VPN you will have to wait for a video to buffer, but this won’t happen with ExpressVPN. It will make sure that you can enjoy your Android TV without any interruptions.
ExpressVPN is also very secure. It uses the strongest types of encryption and doesn’t log anything. Their applications are available in several different languages. We have concluded that ExpressVPN is the best choice to safely stream any content on Hulu, Netflix, and other online platforms. If you’re unsure if a VPN is for you, you can test out ExpressVPN risk-free with their 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
Why would you install a VPN on your Android TV?
We’ve talked about this before, but we want to list the advantages of using a VPN on your Android TV for you again. A VPN will give users more privacy, security, and freedom online. What does this mean for your Android TV? Here are some examples:
- Privacy: It is more difficult for people to find out what you’re up to online when you use a VPN on your Android TV. It is not anyone else’s business what you’re watching, it is yours. If you don’t use a VPN, many others – like your internet provider, landlord, websites you’re visiting, and cybercriminals – can see what you’re watching.
- Security: If cybercriminals can no longer see your data, they can’t abuse it either. Your online presence is more secure with the VPN encryption, and so is your Android TV. You can watch Disney plus without any security worries.
- Freedom: Unlimited streaming becomes an option with a VPN on your Android TV. If you choose your servers right you will gain access to more content than what is available in your own location. If you choose a server in the US you will be able to access their Netflix content. You can also find more content through foreign servers on platforms such as Hulu, Spotify, YouTube, and many sports channels.
If you install a VPN on your Android TV, you can access streaming content from all over the world and your online information will be much more secure. We can recommend using ExpressVPN. You can install this VPN on your Android TV by downloading the app from the Play Store. You can also achieve this by installing a VPN on your (virtual) router. Whichever option you choose, a VPN will protect your Android TV and open up a world of content.
Do you have a question about VPNs? Or about setting up a secure connection on your Android TV? Click on one of the FAQs and find out the answer.
A VPN on your Android TV will give you more privacy, security, and freedom online. The main advantage for most people is that they get access to content on streaming platforms – such as Netflix or Hulu – that isn’t available to them in their own country.