When you set up Android TV with a VPN, you gain access to even more content online in a secure way. For example, with a VPN you can watch movies that are not available in your region!. There are three ways to install a VPN on your Android TV:
- Set it up with the VPN app from the Goole Play Store
- Install it on your router
- Install it on a virtual router on Windows or Mac
We recommend using NordVPN for your Android TV because it offers fast speeds and has great privacy standards strong encryption and a no data log policy. NordVPN also has servers around the globe, so you’ll have an extensive variety of unblocked content to watch on your Android TV!
When you want to stream your favorite content on your r Android TV, having the latest apps like Spotify or Kodi at your fingertips is always a great option.
However, if you live where platforms like Netflix are blocked, or you’re looking to protect your privacy while streaming, you can set up a VPN on your Android TV to unlock content from different regions.
There are several ways to install a VPN on your Android TV. The easiest way to do this is to use a VPN app through the Google Play Store, but you can manually install the VPN on a router, too. In this article, we’ll walk you through both methods with easy step-by-step guides!
How Do I Install a VPN on Android TV?
Android TV is a smart TV platform designed by Google. It uses the Android operating system, so you can watch TV shows and movies and listen to music on your television using mobile apps.
Several popular TV brands, including Sony, Philips, Hisense, TCL, and others, use the Android TV software. Essentially, when setting up a VPN on your Android TV, you don’t have to worry about the manufacturer.
There are three different ways to set up and use VPNs with your Android TV. The easiest way is to simply download a VPN app from the Google Play Store. Sadly, not all VPN providers offer such an app. If that is the case, you will have to install a VPN on your router, then connect with your Android TV.
Install a VPN on your Android TV from the Play Store
Many popular VPN service providers release their software and apps on multiple platforms. This often means that they will also have an Android app available. If your provider has an app available in the Google Play Store, you can install it on your Android TV.
If you’re not sure about which VPN to go with, we highly recommend NordVPN. It’s secure, it’s fast, and the app is relatively lightweight, so it’ll run like a breeze on most Android TVs.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
Below you can find a step-by-step guide for installing a VPN on your Android TV from the Play Store:
1. Go to your favorite VPN’s website, for example, NordVPN.
2. Create an account.
3. Choose your subscription and method of payment. Then, create a secure password. If you want to up your password game, read our tips on creating secure passwords!
4. Find NordVPN’s app in the app store and download the VPN on your Android TV.
4. Install the app and log into your account, using your information from step one. Then, log in.
5. Choose the VPN server that you want to use.
Consider that this choice also determines what content is available to you. Do you want access to American Netflix? Then, select a server in the US.
6. Turn on the VPN by selecting “OK” in the “Connection Request” dialogue box.
Your Android TV is now protected by NordVPN! You can use the TV as you normally would while enjoying the safety, anonymity, and other benefits that a VPN offers!
How to install a VPN using your router
When you use VPNs for Android TV on your router, all of the devices that are connected to your router are protected by the VPN. This includes Android TV devices too! However, if you want to use this method, first check to ensure that you have admin rights to access your router’s settings. We’ll explain how to do that next.
In some cases, you’ll have to “flash” your router’s firmware and replace it with a custom version. While this method is a bit more challenging than installing a VPN app on your Android TV, we’ve laid out the steps below so you can choose which method is best for you.
- Check if you have access to the admin settings on your router. You might want to check out the best VPN routers too!
- Choose a VPN that works on a router, such as NordVPN. Then, create an account or log into your existing account.
- Check NordVPN’s list of officially supported routers and the appropriate settings for configuring it.
- Flash your router’s firmware if it’s unsupported, and download custom firmware to use on it.
- Change the firmware on your router and then configure a VPN on it. You can find an extended guide on how to do this in our article about installing a VPN on your router.
- Connect your Android TV (and any other device) to the Wi-Fi network of your flashed router.
Steps to set up an Android TV VPN using a virtual router on your PC or Mac
If your router isn’t suitable for flashing, you can also connect your Android TV through a virtual router. A virtual router is basically a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac.
If you install a VPN on a PC or Mac and connect your TV to it, your Android TV is protected too. Do this by following the steps below:
- Install a VPN on your PC or Mac. This process is easy! Read our guides on how to install a VPN on macOS or Windows.
- Create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac so your Android TV can connect to it.
- Connect your Android TV to the VPN-protected network on your PC or Mac.
What’s The Best VPN for Your Android TV?
Is your current VPN slow, or are you worried about a weak connection? That’s often a problem with free VPN services. If you are looking for a quality VPN for your Android TV, go with NordVPN. However, there are other options, too, such as Surfshark or CyberGhost. Check out our detailed reviews about the best Android VPNs!
If you want more VPN choices, read our full reviews of all the best VPN choices on the market today!
NordVPN for Android TV: Secure Streaming at Rapid Speeds
NordVPN is one of the best and most popular VPNs at the moment. This provider stands out when you look at streaming quality and privacy. NordVPN’s app is easy to use and available in the Google Play Store. NordVPN is at the top of our list of secure providers because it uses the strongest types of encryption and doesn’t log your data either.
We like NordVPN because its applications are available in several different languages and has servers all over the world. It’s also really fast; NordVPN automatically connects to the fastest possible server available. In our tests, there was no noticeable difference in speed during daily use, not even while gaming.
NordVPN works great with streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and other streaming platforms like Prime Video. If you’re still unsure if this VPN is right to set up with your Android TV, test it out with NordVPN’s risk-free with their 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
The Benefits of Using a VPN on Android TV
There are many advantages of using a VPN with any of your devices, especially your smart TV. VPNs for Android TV will give users more privacy, security, and freedom online.
Best of all, you can watch all the content in the world without having to worry about regional content blocking! What does this mean for your Android TV? Here are some examples:
- Privacy: It is more difficult for people to find out what you’re up to online when you use a VPN on your Android TV. It is not anyone else’s business what you’re watching; it is yours. If you don’t use a VPN, other people and parties— like your internet provider, third-party websites, or tech snoops, can look in on your data.
- Security: If cybercriminals can no longer see your data, they can’t abuse it either. Your online presence is more secure with VPN encryption, and so is your Android TV.
- Freedom: If you choose different servers, you will gain access to more content than what is available in your own location. If you choose a server in the U.S., you will be able to access their Netflix content or stream Peacock. You can also find more content through foreign servers on platforms such as Hulu, Spotify, YouTube, and many sports channels.
If you set up an Android TV with a VPN connection, you can stream content from all over the world. Based on our testing, NordVPN is easily the best VPN for Android TVs in 2022.
Installing the VPN is easy when you download the app from the Google Play Store. Another way to use VPNs for Android TV is by installing one on your (virtual) router. Once you have it hooked up; you’ll be able to access a ton of new content that was previously unavailable directly on your Android TV!
Do you have a question about VPNs? Or about setting up a secure connection on your Android TV? Click on one of the FAQs and find out the answer.
A VPN on your Android TV will give you more privacy, security, and freedom online. The main advantage for most people is that they get access to content on streaming platforms – such as Netflix or Hulu – that isn’t available to them in their own country.
NordVPN is currently the best VPN for Android TV. The provider offers high speeds, which are perfect for streaming. You can enjoy your favorite movies and shows without having to wait for it to buffer.
Yes, you can install a VPN on a smart TV, like Android TV, easily. All you have to do is download a VPN app through the Google Play Store, and create an account with a VPN provider, like NordVPN. Then, simply log into the app and connect to one of the secure servers! Now you can start streaming!
Yes, you can definitely use OpenVPN on your Android TV. NordVPN supports the OpenVPN technology, and you can easily set it up on your Android TV.
To get a free VPN on your smart TV, all you have to do is download a free VPN app like PrivadoVPN or ProtonVPN. First, download the app. Then, log in or create an account. After that, all you have to do is connect to a server in your preferred location.
However, completely free apps come with downsides like significantly less privacy and slower connections. If you’re looking for a free VPN for your smart TV, we recommend taking advantage of a free 30-day money-back guarantee with a quality VPN provider like NordVPN or SurfShark.
Installing NordVPN on your Android TV is easy. First, open the Google Play Store on your Android TV. Next, download and install the app. If you already have a NordVPN account, then log into it. If you don’t, you’ll need to create a new account and subscribe to a plan or 30-day money-back guarantee free trial.
Once you’re logged in, all you have to do is select a server a hit connect! There are other ways to connect a VPN to your smart TV, keep reading to find out how to set up a VPN on your Android TV.