Crypto trading is more popular and more dangerous than ever! Unfortunately, many traders go into it completely unprotected, risking their money and privacy.
Our advice? You should always protect yourself from hackers and prying eyes with a good VPN. With our top VPNs for crypto trading below, you’ll get secure data encryption, online anonymity, and excellent geo-unlocking capabilities.
Without further ado, here are our top VPN picks for crypto trading:
- NordVPN: The best all-round VPN for crypto trading
- Surfshark: Blazing speeds & unlimited connections
- ExpressVPN: Fast & beginner-friendly
If you want the best protection possible, NordVPN is the best crypto trading VPN right now. It offers the best security package paired with great speeds and a strict no-logging policy.
Cryptocurrencies have exploded in popularity. Everyone has heard of Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Dogecoin. They have revolutionized the way we send and receive money. But, there are also many dangers associated with crypto trading.
From security flaws on crypto trading platforms to devastating hack attacks, the list of threats just goes on and on. It’s getting increasingly difficult to make secure crypto transactions on a regular basis, especially if you aren’t using a VPN (virtual private network).
Popular crypto exchanges are collecting a lot of your private data that can be stolen (or sold) and used against you. A good VPN encrypts all your information, thus preventing it from being misused. This allows you to trade away without the looming fear of someone stealing your crypto assets or private data.
It’s also important to note that crypto trading is completely banned in some countries, and they actively block exchanges altogether. For active traders who are always on the go, this is a serious issue.
So, it’s generally a wise idea to use a VPN when you connect to your crypto exchange. But which one should you choose? There are countless VPN providers and researching them on your own could take months. That’s why we’ve created this list of the best VPNs for crypto trading.
Best VPNs for Crypto Trading – Our Top 3 Recommendations
Security and privacy are the most important factors for any hardcore crypto trader. Apart from this, we also need reliable performance, geo-unblocking, and some crypto-specific quality-of-life features.
Although crypto traders are usually quite tech-savvy, having a user-friendly VPN client is always an advantage. That’s why we paid special attention to these factors during our testing circuit.
The result? We identified the best VPNs for crypto trading. Before we introduce our top picks, we’ll go over a couple of honorable mentions, namely CyberGhost and Private Internet Access. If this list had five spots, they would’ve taken numbers four and five, respectively.
With that out of the way, let’s take a look at the best cryptocurrency trading VPN providers.
1. NordVPN – The best all-round VPN for crypto trading
Apart from being the best VPN for crypto trading, we believe that NordVPN is currently the best VPN overall. It offers bulletproof security, blazing speeds, and unparalleled stability.
NordVPN operates 5,400+ servers in 60 countries and offers servers optimized for P2P file sharing. This is ideal if you want to become a part of a P2P crypto-mining network. Its proprietary protocol called NordLynx is basically an improved version of WireGuard, which guarantees top-notch performance. You can also activate double encryption in high-risk locations.
NordVPN is a geo-unlocking powerhouse so you’ll have no problem accessing popular crypto exchanges anywhere in the world. Apart from this, it can block malware on suspicious websites and platforms. NordVPN also acts as an ad blocker so you can forget about annoying pop-ups in your apps.
NordVPN is committed to its ironclad no-logging policy, which means that your data will never be monitored or sold for profit. Lastly, you can count on an automatic kill switch if your VPN fails for whatever reason. All this makes NordVPN the best tool for experienced crypto traders and beginners alike.
If you want to test the service before buying, you can use their 30-day money-back guarantee as a free NordVPN trial.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
2. Surfshark – Blazing fast speeds & unlimited connections
Surfshark is the fastest and most affordable VPN on this list. It also comes with a solid security package paired with a strict no-logs policy. It’s also the only VPN that supports unlimited simultaneous connections, which makes it ideal for large households with plenty of devices to protect.
Surfshark currently offers 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries, which is more than enough for a stable crypto trading operation. It comes with a solid list of VPN protocols that support obfuscation for top-tier geo-unlocking. The CleanWeb feature gets rid of annoying trackers, ads, and malware.
Recently, Surfshark has officially launched its Nexus feature that promises better security and speed. It also allows you to switch between servers without dropping your connection.
You can use the company’s 30-day money-back guarantee to test Surfshark free of charge.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
3. ExpressVPN – fast & beginner-friendly
ExpressVPN’s network numbers around 3,000 servers in 160 locations and 94 countries. Its obfuscation is a bit harder to pinpoint but it’s there and it activates automatically when you’re in high-risk locations.
It offers solid DNS leak protection, a tight no-logging policy, and an automatic kill switch. It also equips its users with excellent geo-unblocking capabilities. Its TrustedServer technology is simply another name for diskless or RAM servers that get wiped on every reset.
ExpressVPN is still an excellent privacy and security tool for crypto traders around the globe. If you want to test ExpressVPN for free, you can use their 30-day money-back guarantee as a free trial period.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
What to Look for When Choosing a VPN for Crypto Trading?
A good VPN for crypto trading should be fast, secure, and easy to use. Apart from this, we’d also like to see some extra nice-to-haves that make crypto trading smoother and easier with a VPN.
With that in mind, here are the factors we used to create this list:
- Security & privacy: All crypto VPNs on this list use the AES-256 cipher to encrypt your traffic. It’s the same encryption method used by the military, banks, and hospitals. They all operate on RAM-only servers, which shows their commitment to providing their users with zero-logging VPN services. They all support top-tier VPN protocols and come with reliable automatic kill switches.
- Camouflage: This feature, also known as “Stealth” or “Obfuscation” allows your VPN to pass deep packet inspections without any red flags. In other words, it can bypass VPN filters and geo-unlock popular crypto exchanges anywhere in the world. Without stealth, filters like the Great Firewall of China will flag and block your VPN traffic in no time.
- Speed: Encryption will always slow down your original connection speed. So, crypto traders need a VPN that will minimize speed drops and ensure connection stability (especially on slower networks). They will also help if your internet service provider is throttling you.
- Stability: All VPNs on this list are lightning-fast with no sudden disconnects or speed fluctuations. They also perform well on distant servers in restricted regio.
- Server network: The bigger the server network, the more choice you’ll have when connecting to different countries. It’s also important for bypassing the geo-restrictions of popular trading platforms. Our best VPNs for crypto trading also have servers in restricted regions like China, for example.
- Split tunneling: Split tunneling is a handy nice-to-have that allows you to add a further layer of protection when you’re accessing your crypto trading app along with other apps too. This ensures better speeds on other apps since you don’t have to burden them with unnecessary encryption.
- Reduced data consumption: Split tunneling also saves bandwidth, which is useful if you’re using a free VPN with a monthly bandwidth cap.
- Ease of use: Nobody in the world of crypto wants to navigate complicated VPN menus and overly technical interfaces. The best VPN clients for crypto trading should be simple and function as seamlessly as possible.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Crypto Trading?
We need to differentiate between two types of services when talking about free VPNs:
- Limited free versions of trusted VPNs
- Dangerous free VPNs that provide little to no protection
You can find some great free VPNs out there. However, we wouldn’t recommend any of them for crypto trading. They all come with severe limitations, including speed, bandwidth, or server locations.
For example, Hide.me and PrivadoVPN have a 10GB monthly limit. ProtonVPN’s free plan only gives you access to three server locations, and the speed is severely throttled too. Having said that, these are all real VPNs that will provide you with adequate protection. It’s just not suitable for regular crypto trading.
Furthermore, these providers will include in-client pop-ups and ads to support their free service. With all these restrictions, we don’t see free VPNs meeting the needs of even the smallest crypto trader. However, they are perfect for identifying a reliable VPN service cost-free before buying it.
Dangerous free VPNs
We have plenty of malicious VPN providers that offer VPN services in name only. Their software is free, but it provides little to no protection. These companies are usually just fronts for P2P crypto mining operations or means of stealing your private data and selling it to the highest bidder.
When you use these pseudo-VPNs, you’ll most likely become a part of their crypto-mining P2P network, which will use the processing power of your device. Others will record the so-called “activity logs,” which include the sites you visit and your interactions with them. This data is then sold to third parties.
This is the most dangerous form of logging since it can be used to identify you and trace your online traffic back to you. Since this data will inevitably find its way to the black market, hackers can buy it and use it to mount attacks against you.
Why Use a VPN for Crypto Trading?
There are plenty of reasons why you should be using a good crypto trading VPN. The most important ones include:
- Increased online security: When you use a VPN, your traffic is routed through a safe encrypted tunnel. This prevents malicious third parties from monitoring and tampering with your data. Online exchanges, hackers, and spy organizations won’t be able to abuse what they can’t see.
- Encrypted traffic: Trading crypto without a VPN will leave your private information up for grabs, especially if you’re using an unprotected public Wi-Fi network. With a VPN, online snoops will only see an encrypted jumble of characters instead of your real data.
- Increased online privacy: VPNs mask your real IP address, which boosts your online privacy. In other words, online exchanges won’t be able to trace your crypto transactions back to you. Your real IP can be used to geo-locate you and mount all sorts of attacks against you, from data theft and phishing scams to cryptojacking hacks.
- Prevents IP tracking: Different IPs will protect you from all these attacks by preventing IP tracking. You can help your VPN by using a strong password and never keeping your wallet on the same device you’re using for cryptocurrency trading. Using escrow with unknown traders and enabling two-factor authentication is always a good idea as well.
- Bypassing geo-restrictions: The most popular crypto exchanges are not available in some countries. For example, you can’t access Binance from New York, Idaho, Texas, Vermont, and Hawaii. On the other hand, countries like China, Egypt, and Morocco have banned cryptocurrencies altogether. VPNs can help you trade crypto from these countries by replacing your real IP with another.
How Do I Install a VPN to Use for Crypto Trading?
Your VPN installation process will depend on your chosen VPN provider and the devices you want to use it on. For example, installing a VPN on your smart TV is much more challenging than setting up a VPN on Windows.
Here’s what you’ll have to do in most cases:
- Create a personal account with your chosen VPN provider. Usually, you’ll find a signup button in the top-right corner of their homepage.
- Download the setup file for your chosen device. All providers on this list have native apps for all popular platforms so you won’t have to tinker with any manual settings.
- Install the VPN client. This is usually done by clicking on the downloaded file and following the instructions.
- Click on the server you wish to connect to.
- Click the big “on/off” button and your client will connect to the chosen server within seconds.
Is It Necessary to Use a VPN for Crypto Trading?
Using a VPN for crypto trading isn’t necessary, but it’s definitely recommended. The best VPN for crypto trading will allow you to trade your coins safely and anonymously. Furthermore, it can bypass geo-restrictions and let you access exchanges that might be unavailable in your country.
If you’re just looking for the best possible package, we recommend going with NordVPN. Surfshark is ideal if you use different devices to access your crypto holdings. It’s also great if you want to use your VPN for something other than crypto trading, like streaming or torrenting. ExpressVPN is a solid option if you don’t want to use Nord or Surfshark for whatever reason.
If you’d like to see more exceptional VPNs, we recommend checking out our list of the best VPNs of this year.
Have more questions about the best VPNs for crypto trading? Simply click on one of the FAQs below to expand the answer.
In our opinion, NordVPN is currently the best VPN for trading cryptocurrencies. It comes with the best security package on the market paired with a solid no-logging policy and plenty of other useful features. It offers a large server network and unparalleled geo-unlocking capabilities for easy access to crypto exchanges anywhere in the world. You can learn more about this provider in our full NordVPN review.
Yes! Trading crypto is becoming increasingly dangerous nowadays. You have to account for anything from hackers stealing your money to vulnerabilities on crypto exchanges leaking your data. Using a VPN is the only way to trade cryptocurrencies safely without any threats looming over you. You should check our list of the best VPNs for crypto trading for some amazing options.
Technically yes, but we wouldn’t recommend it. Some renowned VPNs offer free limited versions of their software with data or server caps. On the other hand, we also have plenty of malicious “VPNs” only looking to steal your data or use your processor to mine crypto. These rarely offer any protection whatsoever. So, we would always advise going with paid services but if you think that a free VPN with limited traffic can meet your needs, we recommend going with one from our list of truly free VPNs.