Why use a free Europe VPN? If you’re traveling outside the EU, VPNs can help you access Europe-exclusive content. They’ll also help you to unblock websites abroad, including streaming services like Netflix.
We’ve tested a range of free VPNs, and the best free Europe VPNs to use for free are:
- PrivadoVPN: Guaranteed unrestricted, uncensored access to the internet with a constant connection
- ProtonVPN: The best free Europe VPN if you want to stream without data limitations
- TunnelBear: Get around internet censorship with this free Europe VPN
- Windscribe: Comes with a built-in malware blocker for total internet security
- Hide.me: The best free European VPN for advanced users
We tested dozens of VPNs to bring you the best free VPNs for Europe — but they’ll only take you so far. To avoid running out of data, having your speed limited, or being unable to unblock Netflix, you’ll want to choose a premium VPN. NordVPN is our best European VPN, hands down.
Did you know that The Lord of the Rings trilogy is only available on Dutch Netflix and not on other versions of Netflix? If you want to watch the countless shows and movies locked behind geographical restrictions — but don’t want to pay for a subscription — then you’ll need a free European VPN.
A virtual private network (VPN) is an app that can make streaming services think you’re located in any country in Europe. It also provides other benefits like encrypting your traffic, so your internet service provider or government can’t see your real IP address.
We tested dozens of free VPN providers that give you a European IP address and then rounded up our top six recommendations. This list features truly free Europe VPNs, not premium VPNs that offer free trials. Keep reading below for our best free VPN for Europe.
The 5 Best Free VPNs for Europe
We’ve tested pretty much every VPN around, from brand-new, fledgling software, to the VPNs at the cutting edge of security. We also test free new VPNs when they’re released. As such, we’re able to recommend the best free VPNs for Europe, which combine speed, security, server choice, and more.
Below, you’ll find a quick comparison of our top 5 free European VPNs. Alternatively, keep reading for our full list of recommended providers.
|Free data per month||10 GB||Unlimited||500 MB||2 GB – 10 GB||10 GB|
|Countries with servers||9||3||45||10||4|
|Unblocks Netflix USA?||✔||✖||✖||✖||✖|
|Encryption type||AES 256-bit||AES 256-bit||AES 256-bit||AES 256-bit||AES 256-bit|
|Platforms supported||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Android TV, Fire TV||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Android TV, Linux, Chromebook||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Fire TV||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV|
|Download||Get PrivadoVPN||Get ProtonVPN||Get TunnelBear||Get Windscribe||Get Hide.me|
Ready to dive deep into what these free VPN services have to offer? Let’s take a closer look.
1. PrivadoVPN: The best free Europe VPN for uninterrupted browsing
- Allows one simultaneous connection for free users
- 12 server locations in nine countries
- AES 256-bit data encryption
- Allows torrenting traffic
- Strict no logs policy
- Can unblock Netflix abroad
- Unlimited speeds within the 10 GB monthly data allowance
After extensive testing, we named PrivadoVPN as our best “truly free” VPN provider. In our tests, we were able to freely access VPN servers in nine countries. Among those are popular destinations France, Germany, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the US.
If you want to unblock Netflix, you’re in luck. By connecting to a German VPN server, we were able to watch Netflix and access German TV shows like Biohackers and Oktoberfest: Beer & Blood. PrivadoVPN works fine with Hulu and Disney+, too!
PrivadoVPN offers a 10 GB monthly data cap and unlimited speeds. If you use up your 10 GB of free data, however, your speed will be limited to 1 Mbps. This isn’t ideal for streaming (you’ll need 3 to 5 Mbps or higher for that), but is quite a nice change from other free VPNs that cut off your access altogether after you reach the data limit.
In terms of security, PrivadoVPN uses the OpenVPN protocol, which is largely regarded as one of the most secure protocols available. Unfortunately, their SOCKS5 proxy servers are only available for paid users.
We recommend PrivadoVPN as the best free European VPN if you want to enjoy uninterrupted browsing. Click the button below to learn more about PrivadoVPN or read our more in-depth review.
2. ProtonVPN: The best free European VPN for streaming with unlimited data
- 23 server locations in three countries
- One simultaneous connection
- Unlimited bandwidth (data allowance)
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Strict no logs policy
- Connection capped to “medium speed”
- Secure email, cloud storage, and calendar included by default
- Supports Windows, macOS, and Linux, plus mobile and Android TV
ProtonVPN is a well-known and trustworthy free VPN that works well across Europe. Free ProtonVPN servers are available in three countries: the Netherlands, the United States, and Japan. Aside from the usual suspects, this VPN also works on Linux and Android TV.
The great advantage of ProtonVPN is that it offers unlimited free data. Unlike PrivadoVPN, your speed won’t be reduced based on your usage. Free users are, however, capped at “medium speed.” When we tested the free servers, we had the following speeds:
|VPN Server||Download Speed||Upload Speed||Ping|
These “medium” speeds are quite generous for a free VPN, although they do depend on the crowdedness of the server.
Unfortunately, ProtonVPN’s free version didn’t work with Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video when we tested it. It did allow us to watch content on Disney+, but Proton admits that they can’t guarantee access to streaming services on their free VPN.
ProtonVPN uses AES 256-bit encryption, and its VPN protocols include OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard. These are excellent hallmarks of VPN security.
Learn more about ProtonVPN (and other free services like ProtonMail) through the link below. You can also read our full ProtonVPN review.
3. TunnelBear: The best free European VPN for bypassing censorship
- Get an IP address in 45+ countries
- Supports WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 protocols
- Relatively small 500 MB monthly free data allowance
- No-logs policy, guaranteed by independent audit
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Unlimited speeds, regardless of usage
- Connect unlimited devices simultaneously
TunnelBear sets itself apart from other free VPNs by offering VPN servers in 45+ countries on its free tier. It’s also quite fast. Our tests on local servers showed a download speed of 90 to 93% of our usual connection speed. Although distant servers were more unpredictable, TunnelBear’s big server network allows you to choose a server close by, so you won’t have to struggle with slow speeds.
Unfortunately, TunnelBear isn’t the best free VPN for streaming. It only allows you 500 GB of data (plus an extra 1 GB if you tweet about the VPN), which won’t allow you to binge-watch your favorite show. On top of that, we weren’t able to unblock Netflix or torrent with TunnelBear Free.
Handy security features included with TunnelBear are:
- GhostBear: Similar to Surfshark‘s NoBorders mode, GhostBear further cloaks your VPN traffic, making it harder to block. This is especially useful in European or other countries where internet censorship might be high.
- VigilantBear: This kill switch will prevent sudden geo-blocks if your VPN connection drops.
We recommend TunnelBear for getting around geo-blocks in a wide range of countries without paying a cent. With unlimited devices, you can also rest in the knowledge that your whole family — or family of devices — will enjoy the same benefit. Learn more about TunnelBear in our full review, or visit their website through the button below.
4. Windscribe: The best free European VPN with ad blocker
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Supports WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN protocols
- No speed cap
- No logs policy
- AES 256-bit encryption
- 2 GB per month or 10 GB if you verify your email
- Server locations in ten countries
- In our tests, Windscribe could unblock Netflix
Windscribe is a completely free VPN provider with a 2 GB monthly data cap. This cap rises to 10 GB if you share and verify your email. Tip: you could create an entirely new, throwaway email address and quickly unlock that full data allowance without impacting your privacy.
Unfortunately, we were no longer able to unblock Netflix with this VPN when we tested it. Windscribe does support torrenting. You’ll even find official guides for setting up your torrent client and maximizing privacy on the official website.
Windscribe will secure your privacy with AES 256-bit encryption and some of the most secure VPN protocols: OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2. Other features include:
- Split-tunneling: This feature allows you to separate your VPN traffic from your regular internet traffic.
- R.O.B.E.R.T: This tracker blocker and parental control suite rolled into one blocks malware and trackers.
- Firewall: Rather than using a kill switch, Windscribe opts for a firewall instead, blocking all unsecured internet activity.
Combine all of these features with unlimited simultaneous connections, and you’ll keep the whole family safe. Learn more about this VPN by checking our in-depth Windscribe review, or visit their website below.
5. Hide.me: The best free European VPN for advanced users
- Supports one simultaneous connection
- No cap on connection speeds
- Supports P2P traffic
- No-logs policy
- AES 256-bit encryption for your data
- 10 GB monthly data allowance
- Five locations in four countries
With Hide.me VPN, you get uncapped speeds and 10 GB of data, as well as some nice extra security options. You can define custom DNS, use split tunneling, and make advanced changes to your VPN protocols. There’s also a kill switch and even a browser extension.
Unfortunately, there are “only” four countries with servers. On top of that, Hide.me’s free servers are quite a bit slower than the alternative free European VPNs we’ve outlined above. Here are our test results:
- On the available US-based servers, we saw download speeds of just 12.4 to 21.29 Mbps.
- On the server in the Netherlands, which is closest to our physical location, we saw 84.86 Mbps.
If you use this VPN in the EU as we have done, you can probably expect similar speeds, which is why we’d only recommend it if you’re physically close to one of the offered free Hide.me servers.
While Hide.me supports torrenting, we don’t recommend this, as that’ll affect your data limit severely. That said, you can unblock Disney+ in the US. Some streaming platforms estimate that 1 GB of data will let you stream for an hour. That means you should be able to binge entire shows like She-Hulk or Moon Knight!
Our Hide.me review covers everything you need to know about this service. You can also learn more about it through the link below.
How We Picked the Best Free VPNs for Europe
Our experience in testing VPN providers means that we know what you should look for, and what you should avoid. In choosing the best free European VPNs, we’ve taken into account some key factors that include:
- Connection speeds that don’t impact performance
- Servers in European countries and a decent server network worldwide
- A no-logs policy that won’t compromise your data
- A VPN provider that’s not headquartered or based in the 14 Eyes Alliance
- Totally, completely free for use
- User-friendly software that’s suitable for beginners
If you see a free European VPN on the list above, that’s because we’ve vetted the providers available. We’ve downloaded the software, tested unblocking websites, and run speed tests to put the software through its paces.
We know from experience that these VPNs are the best free options available in Europe right now.
Limitations of Free VPNs
Unfortunately, opting for free VPN providers means sacrificing in certain areas. The drawbacks of a free VPN service include:
- Limited data: With a couple of exceptions, such as ProtonVPN, almost all free VPNs impose a data limit. This makes them unsuitable for high-bandwidth activities, like streaming and torrenting.
- Capped connection speeds: Some VPN providers will limit your connection speed. Others, such as PrivadoVPN, limit your speed after you’ve consumed a certain amount of data.
- Fewer countries to choose from: Free VPNs limit the number of countries you may choose from, as well as the free servers you can connect to. In many cases, there’s a good chance you won’t find the country you need outside of the EU.
- Geo-blocking problems: Despite their best efforts, most free VPNs won’t unblock Netflix due to the streaming platform’s harsh stance on the use of VPNs. This problem has been getting worse, and most free VPNs can’t unblock Netflix.
- Privacy and security concerns: If you veer off the beaten path and download a free VPN that isn’t on this list, you could be at risk of privacy and data breaches. We’ve listed free VPNs to avoid below, which will give you some more context on this problem.
If you want to use a VPN without these limitations, you’ll need to pay for a subscription. All of the premium VPN providers that we test typically come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. For a limited time, you can get a full refund.
Try a premium VPN trial: NordVPN
For unrestricted browsing, with uncapped speeds and data, our recommendation for a European VPN is NordVPN. NordVPN consistently rates as the #1 VPN among the dozens of VPNs that we’ve tested. It can do everything you want a VPN to do, and it does it well. You get fast speeds, largely thanks to its vast network of servers. It has a no-logs policy and military-grade encryption protocols. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for people who want to try it for a short time before committing.
For more information on NordVPN, visit the website through the link below or read our in-depth review.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
Free VPNs to Avoid
Bear in mind that you should avoid some free VPNs. Certain providers might track your browsing activity and other data, and sell it to other agencies. This is a breach of privacy and negates the benefits of using a VPN.
Other free VPNs might not secure your data properly, leaving it vulnerable to hackers. Some have even been known to sell your internet connection to paying users, who treat your machine like a VPN server.
In short, you should avoid certain VPNs that have been associated with shady behavior:
|VPN PROVIDER||WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID IT|
|Anonytun||Anonytun allows marketing agencies to drop cookies onto your device. Using these trackers, they build advertising user profiles.|
|Betternet||Our Betternet review deemed this VPN provider unsafe, as the software allows marketing agencies to track your data.|
|Hola||Hola is an example of one VPN that lets premium users hijack your connection. In doing so, your IP address could end up being associated with online criminal activity.|
|Psiphon Pro||Psiphon Pro tracks and shares user data with partner companies and other organizations. This could impact your anonymity.|
|SuperVPN||While you should avoid downloading illegal content, SuperVPN holds onto your data to comply copyright laws. If information is requested by an anti-piracy agency, they may pass your details on for investigation.|
|Turbo VPN||Free users of Turbo VPN could see their machine infected with adware and marketing cookies. When we tested the software in our Turbo VPN review, we had serious security concerns.|
|Touch VPN||Touch VPN comes bundled with trackers that can traack your browser data and share it with third parties.|
|Tuxler VPN||Testing in our Tuxler VPN review determined that this very slow VPN collects a lot of user data and shares it with third parties. It also lacks basic security features, such as an automatic kill switch.|
|VPN Gate||This free VPN logs your VPN use and doesn’t always hide your IP well. On top of that, VPN Gate has very limited server locations in Europe.|
There are likely to be other unsafe VPNs lurking on the internet; this isn’t a complete list. Always be wary of downloading new or barely-reviewed VPN software. Our recommendations always come with an honest and unbiased deep-dive into security and safety. If you’re aware of any more unsafe free VPNs, let us know about them in the comments.
Conclusion: Free European VPNs Have Their Limitations
In this article, we’ve given you the best free European VPNs for a range of purposes. However, in some cases, they’re still far from perfect. For example, ProtonVPN can’t unblock many popular streaming sites. That’s just one reason why we always recommend premium providers if your budget can allow for it. Otherwise, you won’t get the full experience and benefits of using one of the best VPNs.
If you truly want unrestricted internet access and unlimited data, plus loads of other security features, choose a premium provider. You’ll even get 30 days to make up your mind in most cases. NordVPN is our outright best VPN provider on the market, hands-down. Take a month to try it for yourself; if you’re not happy, you can get your money back.
If you have questions about our best free Europe VPNs, feel free to leave us a comment. But first, check out our FAQs below to see if it has already been answered.
You can get a free European VPN from a lot of different providers. We recommend checking out our full article on the best free European VPNs to make sure you’re choosing a safe, secure, and fit-for-purpose VPN provider. You can also get a European VPN on a subscription with a money-back guarantee! We recommend choosing a premium VPN, like NordVPN, over free providers.
Our best free Europe VPN is PrivadoVPN. It covers 9 countries, including numerous destinations in Europe. You can also use it within Europe to get a US IP address or UK IP address. Premium providers are the best choice for a European VPN server, or for using a VPN within Europe. NordVPN has over 5,500 VPN servers in 50+ countries.
There are many free European VPNs, including the six we’ve mentioned in our full article. Our top 3 VPN Europe free providers are:
- PrivadoVPN: Our best free Europe VPN.
- ProtonVPN: The best free European VPN for streaming with unlimited data.
- TunnelBear: Perfect for getting around censorship.
However, NordVPN beats all of these providers in speed, data, security, and features. We recommend getting NordVPN and making use of the 30-day money-back guarantee to try it out!