If you want cheaper games, better streaming, and sooner releases on PS4 and PS5, you have to change your PSN region. It’s not even that hard. You only need a VPN and a few minutes to set everything up. Here’s what you’ll have to do:
- Get a VPN. NordVPN is the best option for changing your PSN location.
- Install the VPN app on your router. You can either install the VPN on your router, or turn your computer into a virtual router.
- Connect to a VPN server in the country you want to change regions.
- (Optional) Go to the regional version of Amazon and get a gift card. You’ll need this if you want to buy any games from the PSN in your new account.
- Turn your PlayStation on.
- Create a new account in your desired region. Unfortunately, you can’t change regions on your existing account.
- Enjoy your PS4 or PS5 as if you were in a different region.
Your PlayStation Network (PSN) account region has a huge impact on what you can play. Game offers, discounts, sales, and even multimedia content often differ across various regions.
Learning how to change your region on PS4 and PS5 can be really valuable. You’ll be able to unlock newly released games sooner, buy games cheaper, and get more content on your PlayStation.
For instance, certain games like Plants vs Zombies: Battle For Neighborville are heavily discounted in certain regions, like Eastern Europe. If you live in places like Germany, the US, or the UK you can’t take advantage of that discount.
But this is just one of many examples. Here’s how you can change the region of your PS4 or PS5 in a mere six steps.
How to Change the Region of Your PS4 or PS5 in Six Steps
Your PSN region is locked when you create your account. You can’t just open account settings on the PlayStation website and change it. But you can create a new account in a different region. Here’s how to do it.
- Get a VPN service. We recommend NordVPN. This is important as you’ll need one to pay for games anyway.
- Install the VPN app on your router. Our detailed guide will carry you through the process step-by-step.
- Connect to a server in the country where you want to get good PS deals from.
- Turn on your PlayStation console.
- Create a new PSN account. Make sure to choose the same PSN region in the account creation process.
- Enjoy PSN deals as if you were in that country!
Make sure you only log into that PSN account when you’re connected through the VPN server for that country! Sony might figure out what you’re doing otherwise.
And now, a few caveats about this whole process. First, remember that installing a VPN on your router is pretty difficult. But if you want to play any online games, we highly recommend you do it. It’ll give you the best VPN connection speeds, and allow for lag-free gaming.
Second, know that you won’t be able to pay with your normal credit card for games on this new PSN account. When you visit the PlayStation Store on this new account, you’ll need a payment method from the country you signed up from. For that, you can just buy gift cards from that specific region.
How to Install a VPN on Your Console
You can’t install VPN apps directly on PS4 and PS5 consoles. However, there are a lot of workarounds. You can install them on your router for maximum connection speed.
Or, you can connect your Windows/macOS device to the internet with an ethernet cable, and turn it into a virtual router. I’ll show you how to do all of these.
Installing a PS4 VPN on your router
If you’re not too tech-savvy, you might want to try a different option. Installing a VPN on your router is hard. But if you’re a bit tech-inclined, here’s what you’ll have to do:
- Download the DD-WRT version for your router. This is the firmware required to install OpenVPN-compatible apps on your router.
- Install DD-WRT on your writer via the Web-GUI.
- Restart your router.
- Open your router’s settings.
- Click on “Services,” then open the “VPN” category.
- Fill in the details from your VPN of choice.
- Click on “Apply Settings.”
This is a simplified version of the installation process. You can learn how to install a VPN on your router using our step-by-step guide, which goes into deeper detail for each step.
Turning your Windows PC into a virtual router
A much easier way to use a PlayStation VPN is to install the app on your Windows PC. You will need an ethernet port and cable though! If you have both, here’s what you need to do:
- Get a reputable VPN app like NordVPN.
- Connect to the internet via your ethernet cable.
- Install the VPN app on your Windows PC.
- Open the search bar and type “cmd” to open Command Prompt.
- Copy this: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=XXXXX key=YYYY
- Instead of XXXXX and YYYY write your desired network name and password.
- Paste the line into Command Prompt. Hit Enter.
- Activate the connection by typing “netsh wlan start hostednetwork” and pressing Enter. This turns your Windows PC into a virtual router.
- Open your PS4 or PS5.
- Connect to the newly-created network.
We also have a detailed guide on how to install a VPN on Windows to create a virtual router.
Turning your macOS device into a virtual router
You will need an ethernet cable to turn your macOS device into a virtual router. If your device doesn’t have an ethernet port, make sure you get an adapter beforehand. If you have everything you need, here’s how to turn your macOS device into a virtual router:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider. NordVPN works great for PlayStation consoles.
- Download and install the VPN app. If you’re not sure how read our quick guide to installing a VPN on Mac.
- Connect to the internet with the LAN cable.
- Open the VPN app.
- Connect to a server in the country you want to get PSN deals or content.
- Open “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Share.”
- Open the dropdown button next to “Share your connection from.” Choose ethernet if you plugged the cable straight in. Choose USB if you used an adapter.
- Under the “To computers using” menu option, click on ”Choose Wi-Fi.”
- You will be prompted to set-up a connection. Pick any name and password you want. This will create a virtual router.
- Open your PS4 or PS5 console.
- Connect to the virtual router you just created.
For a guide that goes slightly deeper, check out our article on how to set up a virtual router on for macOS.
You can technically use an Android device or an iPhone to create a virtual router. But we don’t recommend you do that. You risk incurring data fees, depending on the deal you have with your ISP. Plus, mobile connections are usually pretty slow. You’ll have a hard time downloading games or playing anything online.
How to Buy Games on Another Country’s PlayStation Store
Sony only lets you pay with cards or PayPal accounts registered in your official PSN region. So you can’t use your own card in a different PSN region.
You’ll need to use a payment method from the country you chose when you signed up. You can use gift cards to circumvent this restriction. Here’s how:
- Download a VPN on your PC, macOS device, or mobile phone. NordVPN is a great choice because it has servers in over
- Connect to a server in the country you want to pay from.
- Go to Amazon’s site from that country. For example, if you want to take advantage of German PSN deals, go to amazon.de.
- Search for PSN gift cards from the same region.
- Buy a gift card of an equivalent value with any payment method.
- The gift card will come with a code. You’ll have to redeem it.
- Open your PS4 or PS5 console. Don’t forget to be connected to the right server!
- Browse the PlayStation store and add the games you want to your cart.
- At checkout, you will be prompted for a payment method.
- Choose “Gift Card.”
- Fill in the code you got when purchasing a gift card.
You will now be able to download the game!
Why Do People Use a VPN With PS4 and PS5?
The main reason people use a VPN with their PlayStation is to unlock great deals! Each PSN region is in charge of offering discounts and promoting their PlayStation Store however they see fit.
So deals and exclusive offers are never the same worldwide. Your favorite game might be on a 90% discount in the US. It won’t matter if you don’t live there.
Unless you get a VPN. A virtual private network will change your IP address, making it look like you’re browsing the web from a different country. With this, you can then create a new PSN account in any region you want.
However, a VPN has more benefits. It can help you access games faster if an upcoming title has different release dates across the globe. Not to mention, a VPN boosts your online protection, keeping you safe from DDoS attacks, doxxing, and other cyber threats.
VPNs can help you get great deals on PlayStation games. And if you’re not sure which one you should pick, don’t worry. We’ll walk you through your options right now.
Top 3 Best VPNs to Change Your PS4 or PS5 Region
VPNs may look similar to the untrained eye, but there are a lot of important differences between the major providers. Some apps are much easier to install on routers and can change your PS4 or PS5 region more easily.
You don’t have to research all VPN providers, because we did the work for you. We tested dozens of VPN providers to see which one is best for PlayStation consoles. These are our top 3 picks.
1. NordVPN: The best VPN for PS4 and PS5
- Fast VPN connection speeds
- 5,200+ servers in 59 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth for stress-free gaming
- SmartDNS offers unlimited streaming
- OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard protocols
NordVPN is at the top of our list for the best PlayStation VPNs thanks to its speed. When we tested this VPN, we only lost about 5-10 Mbps of speed on nearby servers. With a base speed of 100 Mbps, we still had more than enough to play competitive online shooters.
This amazing performance would be enough on its own to skyrocket NordVPN to the top of our list. But this provider has way more to offer. NordVPN has military-grade encryption to protect you from DDoS attacks or doxxing.
It can help unblock geo-restricted games, and it’s pretty affordable. If you want to change your PS4 or PS5 region with relative ease, we wholeheartedly recommend this VPN. They even offer a 30-day money-back guarantee!
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
If you need more information about it, we recommend you check our in-depth NordVPN review.
2. ExpressVPN: Excellent PS4 VPN with easy router set-up
- Unique, easy set-up process on routers
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Protects from DDoS attacks, doxxing and malware
- Unlimited bandwidth to play without lag
- Offers OpenVPN IKEv2, WireGuard, and Lightway protocols
If you’re sure you want to install your PlayStation VPN on your router, ExpressVPN is a great option. It has its own special firmware that makes it easy to install on routers. It’s also one of the best VPNs for Minecraft.
And that’s not all. ExpressVPN is really fast. In our tests, we connected to different ExpressVPN servers in nearby countries. The ping we got was only 5-11 ms. Even on faraway servers, the performance was decent.
ExpressVPN is also a good choice if you want top-tier protection from DNS leaks, malware, DDoS attacks, or doxxing. Just be ready to pay up. ExpressVPN is a bit more expensive than your average VPN provider.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
If you’re interested in learning more about this excellent VPN, check out our detailed ExpressVPN review.
3. CyberGhost: PS VPN with dedicated gaming servers
- Dedicated gaming servers to boost your performance
- 9,100+ servers in 91 countries
- Protects against online threats
- Bypass ISP throttling
- Compatible with OpenVPN, IKEv2, and Wireguard protocols
If you have a good base connection speed (over 100 Mbps), you won’t have any problems playing games on your PlayStation while you’re connected to CyberGhost’s standard servers.
And if you ever need a boost in performance, you can connect to CyberGhost’s dedicated gaming servers. These are optimized for playing games online, so you shouldn’t experience any lag. Switching PS4 or PS5 regions with CyberGhost is also incredibly easy.
On top of these features, CyberGhost is also a smart pick thanks to its security infrastructure. It offers complete protection against various online threats, including DDoS attacks.
CyberGhost also offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee, so in case you aren’t satisfied, you can just get your money back.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
Read our full CyberGhost review to get in-depth information about testing and performance.
Conclusion: Changing Your PSN Region In 2022
Getting cheap and awesome games has never been easier on your PS4 or PS5. If you have a VPN and some time to spare, you can change your PSN region and unlock amazing deals from across the globe.
You just have to change your IP address and create a new PSN account in your desired region. Just don’t forget to buy games with gift cards and check for different deals before making a decision.
If you want the scoop on smart and private gaming, also read our articles on:
Changing regions on PlayStation can be difficult. Especially if you want to buy games from a completely different PlayStation Network. If you need any more guidance, check out the FAQ section below.
Yes, you can change the region on your PS4 or PS5. You’ll need to create a new PSN account, and select the region you want the PSN account to be in. To make sure everything goes smoothly, you can check our full guide on how to change the region on your PS4 and PS5.
You can’t install a VPN directly on your PS4 or PS5. However, you can install the VPN on your router. This way, when you connect your PlayStation to your Wi-Fi network, it’ll look as if you’re browsing from a different country. Find out more in our guide on how to change your region on PS4 and PS5.
You can’t use a VPN on your PlayStation. That’s because free VPNs can’t usually be installed on your router, so you won’t be able to connect your PS4 or PS5 to the free VPN. Even if you somehow set up a connection, free VPNs are slow and aren’t ideal for gaming.
No, a PS4 or PS5 console isn’t locked to a specific region. You can connect dozens of accounts, all from different regions, on the same console. However, your new PSN account’s region is locked the moment you sign up.
Region-locked games aren’t as common today as they used to be a decade ago. But yes, you can access games that are region-locked on PS4 or PS5. You’ll just need to get a PS VPN, change your IP address, and create a new PSN account.