Fortnite IP bans can be quite frustrating, especially when you’ve done nothing to earn them. They prevent you from playing the game for an extended period of time, but there is a way to get back in the game and circumvent the Fortnite IP ban:
- Get a VPN. NordVPN is our recommended choice for overcoming Fortnite IP bans.
- Use the VPN to connect to a nearby server. This will change your IP address and guarantee decent connection speeds.
- Create a new Epic Games account. If you try to log into your previous account, you won’t circumvent the ban.
- Launch Fortnite!
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can play the game using the VPN until your ban expires without incurring an extra charge!
Fortnite is an extremely popular video game. With over 400 million players and billions in revenue, it’s a true cultural phenomenon. Unfortunately, a large player base like that also makes it difficult to ensure that everyone complies with Fortnite’s terms of service. To keep its user base under control, Fortnite works with IP bans.
A nasty side effect of IP bans is that, if someone else violates the terms of service while connected through your network or account, you won’t be able to play Fortnite, either. Thankfully, if you’ve been banned, there’s a way to get back in the game.
Here’s our full guide on how to remove a Fortnite IP ban and start playing again!
What is a Fornite IP Ban?
Fortnite strives to provide a safe and fun environment for all gamers. Those who don’t comply with their code of conduct, receive an IP ban. When a player’s IP is blacklisted on Fortnite’s servers, it prevents them from joining a match or playing the game online at all. This goes for all game modes, whether that be Battle Royale, Creative, Zero Build, or Save The World.
Essentially, a Fortnite IP ban means that any device using the banned IP address won’t be able to access Fortnite. An IP address is like a home address: it tells others where you’re browsing from and where to send information.
In the most basic terms, each router has a different IP address. As a result, a Fortnite IP ban means that any device in your house connected to that router, whether that be your laptop, your smartphone, or your sibling’s computer, will be excluded from the Fortnite fun.
The length of a ban varies from temporary (up to 30 days) to permanent. A permanent ban means no one using the banned IP will be able to access the Fortnite servers, indefinitely.
Five Ways to Remove a Fortnite IP Ban
There are several approaches you can choose if you’ve been banned from Fortnite and want to access the game again. Here are five ways to easily remove the Fortnite IP ban.
1. Use a VPN (Virtual Private Network)
The most common trick (and one of the easiest) to get around the Fortnite IP ban is to hide or change your IP address. A VPN (virtual private network) will route your traffic through its own servers. This will change your IP address, so you’ll be able to play Fortnite easily.
However, you will also have to create a new account. Your Fortnite account is linked to your IP, so if you log into Fortnite with a different IP but the same account, that new IP will also be banned.
Here’s how you can access Fortnite with a VPN after you’ve been banned:
- Make sure you’re logged out of Fortnite.
- Get a subscription to a good VPN. We recommend NordVPN for its usability and great speeds, which won’t slow down your connection in the middle of a Battle Royale. It also works on all kinds of devices, including routers, so you can use it on your Xbox and PS4 as well.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
- Download the VPN app onto your device. You’ll often automatically get this option after subscribing. To use the VPN on most gaming consoles, you’ll need to install it on your router. Check out our guide to installing a VPN on PS4 and PS5 for further instructions.
- Log in on the VPN app with the account you created in step 2.
- Connect to a VPN server. The easiest is to connect to a server close to you. Simply clicking “Quick Connect” in the NordVPN app will instantly connect you to the fastest server, giving you a different IP address.
- Open Fortnite and create a new account using your new IP address.
Enjoy your time on Fortnite! Just make sure you stick to the terms of service so you don’t get banned again.
For extra tips on how to change the IP address of your router, check out this guide on how to install a VPN on your router directly.
Can I use a free VPN with Fortnite?
If you use free VPNs to play Fortnite, your gameplay experience will likely suffer. Latency is a serious issue with free VPNs, as their servers are almost always full. This means you’ll have limited bandwidth, which results in an increased internet lag. It’s why we recommend that you go with a paid VPN to circumvent the ban.
However, there are some decent free VPNs for Fortnite that might work for you. They will keep your internet connection secure, while also offering some relatively fast VPN servers that, depending on their location and the number of people using them at the same time, can offer you a decent Fortnite experience.
2. Change your dynamic IP address
While it’s not as concrete as the first solution, you can try your luck by changing your dynamic IP address. This is only possible if your ISP uses dynamic IPs instead of static ones, however.
The difference between dynamic and static IP is pretty straightforward:
- Static IP addresses don’t change over time. Every time you establish a connection, you’ll get the same IP address.
- Dynamic IP addresses change frequently, for example when you restart your router.
To check which kind of IP address your ISP gives out and change your dynamic IP address, follow these steps:
- Check your IP address with our IP tool.
- Restart your router. Turn it off and leave it for two minutes before you turn it back on.
- Check your IP address again. If you have a dynamic IP address, it’ll have changed.*
- Connect to a different account and enjoy Fortnite!
*If your IP address remained the same, you have a static IP address and this trick won’t work for you. You might want to consider switching to a VPN instead.
3. Connect to a different router
Each router is assigned its own IP address. That’s why you might get a Fortnite IP ban if a roommate broke Epic Games’ terms. You both use the same network and router, and implicitly, share the same IP address.
An easy solution is to connect to a different router. This is as easy as going to your parent’s house, using a friend’s Wi-Fi, or even logging in from a coffee shop. Any of these options should make Fortnite unblocked, as you will connect with a different IP address.
Remember to also change the account you log in with. If you use the account you got banned from, it won’t work.
Keep in mind that replacing the router and connecting it to the same network with a static IP is unlikely to work.
4. Turn your phone into a hotspot
If you don’t have access to another network, you can use your smartphone. When you turn your phone into a hotspot, it acts as a router you can use instead of your own.
However, using your phone to play Fortnite comes with a few drawbacks:
- It will consume mobile data rapidly while you game. Gaming online consumes a lot of bandwidth, so you’ll either run out of mobile data or see your data consumption and your bills skyrocket. If you have traffic limits on your mobile data, you can incur extra charges.
- Your connection might not be stable enough for a smooth gaming session, leading to bouts of frustration.
In short, using your phone as a hotspot is not a viable option if you have limited data. However, if you have ample limits or unlimited mobile data, you can turn your phone into a hotspot to overcome Fortnite IP bans. This works on both iPhone and Android.
How to turn your iPhone into a hotspot
To turn your iPhone into a hotspot, you’ll have to:
- Open the utilities menu from the top of your screen. This is where you’ll also find other regular controls like brightness and sound volume.
- Hold down on the network widget. It’s the one to the right of airplane mode.
- Click on “Personal Hotspot.” This will create a hotspot.
- Open your computer or whatever device you use to play Fortnite.
- Browse the available Wi-Fi networks. You should see your smartphone’s hotspot network appear among the options.
- Connect to the network. Details like the name of the network and the password are available if you long-press on “Personal Hotspot” on your iPhone.
- Enjoy Fortnite!
How to turn your Android phone into a hotspot
If you use an Android phone, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Open the utilities menu by swiping down from the top of your screen. This is the menu for controls like screen brightness and Wi-Fi connection.
- Hold down your finger on the “Mobile Hotspot” widget. It might have a different name, depending on your phone’s brand. Look for a similar widget to the one pictured below.
- Fill in the name and password you wish to use in the menu of settings about your personal hotspot.
- Turn the function on. There’s usually a slider at the top of the screen.
- Open your computer or any other device you use to play Fortnite.
- Connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot you just created.
- Enjoy Fortnite!
5. Wait for your Fortnite ban to expire
Most Fortnite bans aren’t permanent. A temporary Fortnite IP ban can take anywhere from a few days to an entire month. This should be easy to wait out.
Take it as an opportunity to disconnect from the game. This goes for all people that have a Fortnite IP ban, but it’s especially true if that ban was warranted.
We’d also like to underline something really important: if you got banned for a legitimate rule break, you shouldn’t try to circumvent it, especially if it’s a temporary IP ban.
All games — including Fortnite — try to maintain a healthy and respectful community. If you did anything to undermine that, a ban is in order. We discourage you from trying to circumvent that ban.
If you find it hard to stop playing, even for just a little while, you should take that feeling seriously. Look into video game addiction and maybe even reach out to an expert if you need help.
Top 3 Best VPNs to Use With Fortnite
Out of the five ways to get around Fortnite bans, VPNs are by far the best. A VPN is faster and more reliable than using a different network or connecting to a mobile hotspot. It’ll allow you to play without worrying about hitting your data limits.
The question is: which VPN should you pick? Here are the three best VPNs that we’ve personally tested with Fortnite.
1. NordVPN: Thousands of reliable servers
- 5,000+ servers in 59 countries
- Fast, optimized servers to reduce latency drops
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited bandwidth
NordVPN is our go-to choice when we recommend a VPN for any situation. It’s just that good. We tested NordVPN with Fortnite, and it works like a charm. As long as you’re using a nearby server, you should have negligible problems with ping while playing Fortnite.
NordVPN is a great reliable choice if you want to overcome a Fortnite IP ban. Not to mention, it’s a smart investment for your online entertainment in general. If you get banned from other games, you can use NordVPN to get around any IP ban.
You can choose from thousands of effective servers to instantly change your IP, allowing you to play without any interruptions whatsoever. And the moment you get tired of gaming, you can even use it to unblock streaming libraries like US Netflix!
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
2. CyberGhost: The most user-friendly Fortnite VPN
- 9,200+ servers in 90+ countries
- User-friendly interface
- Generous 45 days money-back guarantee
- Optimized servers to reduce throttling
If you want a more affordable VPN to overcome a Fortnite IP ban, then CyberGhost is a smart choice. Don’t think you’re sacrificing much for that lower price! It’s a fantastic VPN with a robust infrastructure that is especially suitable for gaming and streaming.
CyberGhost has had minor issues when it comes to privacy. They may monitor the number of devices connected to one account, but if you’re just using it to remove the Fortnite IP ban, this shouldn’t be a problem at all.
CyberGhost is fast and very beginner-friendly. You can also use it to change the region on your PS4 or PS5. And, the setup process is quite simple and you’ll be up and running within minutes!
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
3. Surfshark: Excellent value for money
- 3,200 servers in 100 countries
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Free trial available
- Unlimited bandwidth
Surfshark is a very popular VPN, and it’s a great choice to use to remove a Fortnite IP ban. You can easily choose from different VPN server locations and connect to one nearby, thus mitigating any latency issues.
There are no dedicated IPs, but it still allows static servers for free. If you need to connect to another static IP than your own for Fortnite, this should do just fine. It offers consistent, high speeds, and all the protection you want to game in peace.
If you want unparalleled value for money and a reliable VPN with plenty of options, Surfshark is an excellent choice.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
How to Choose the Best VPN for Fortnite
Not all VPNs are the same. While most of them share useful features, like support for multiple devices, you need to select one that’s optimized for gaming. Here are some key factors to consider when selecting the best VPN for removing Fortnite IP bans.
If you want to play online games like Fortnite with a VPN turned on, you need to pick one that can maintain high connection speeds. Fortnite is a fast-paced game, so you need a VPN that won’t cause serious dropoffs in your connection speed.
If your IP is banned, you will want to switch to another VPN server that’s located close to you. The closer the server, the lower the speed dropoff. Selecting a VPN with a large server network is recommended, as you’ll have more variety to choose from.
Ease of use
You don’t want to spend too much time tinkering with the settings to set up the VPN. Most VPNs will auto-select a VPN server based on your location and ensure a smooth, optimized connection.
Other nice-to-have features
VPNs are usually cheap, but if you’re going to spend money on it, you might as well make the most of it. There are some other nice-to-have features that you should look for, such as:
- AES-256 bit encryption
- Ability to unblock region-restricted content like US Netflix
- Support for split tunneling
- Kill switch
We’ve done the legwork for you, so if you don’t want to go through all the tiny details, we’d recommend NordVPN. It ticks all the right boxes and will help you remove the Fortnite IP ban so you can get back in the game!
The Many Reasons for Fortnite IP Bans
The reasons for a Fortnite IP ban vary from player to player. Some get banned for toxic behavior, while some are flagged by other users for hacking. Some get banned due to no fault of their own, but because someone else broke the rules while using their connection. Here are some of the many reasons for Fortnite IP bans.
1. You violated Fortnite’s code of conduct
Epic Games has a clear code of conduct for Fortnite players. Whenever someone breaks any of these community rules, the system automatically dishes out an IP and account ban. The duration of the ban varies depending on the severity of the infringement.
Some of the most commonly broken rules include:
- Sharing someone’s personal information (doxing)
- Intolerance and discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, national origin, or other characteristics
- Bullying and harassment, such as goading or name-calling
- Impersonating streamers or other prominent individuals
- Scams or illegal activities, such as betting
- Sharing inappropriate content
We strongly advise you not to take part in any of these activities, as they will result in an IP ban.
2. You broke a tournament rule
Besides Fortnite’s overall code of conduct, each individual tournament has its own set of rules. Before participating in a Fortnite event, make sure you review the rules.
Most of these are similar to the code of conduct, but sometimes there are slight differences. If you’re unlucky, unawareness of these differences can lead to IP bans.
3. You cheat or use griefing techniques
Griefing is when you intentionally lose the game for your team. It includes things like taking damage on purpose and going outside the play area. This can negatively impact the gaming experience for others, so Fortnite will ban such players.
Naturally, users who use software to cheat the game will also be banned. Cheating has a similar effect of diminishing the gaming experience, only on your opponents instead of your teammates. With “hacks” like a wallhack or an aimbot the game becomes unfair.
4. You get flagged or someone reports you
Breaking the rules can sometimes result in an immediate ban. For example, Fortnite has an automatic anti-cheat system, which can instantly detect cheats like aimbots and wallhacks.
If you don’t get flagged by automatic systems, you can still end up getting banned on Fortnite if another player reports you. If your Fortnite IP ban wasn’t instantaneous when you messed up, it means that someone reported you for breaking the rules.
5. You’re unlucky
If you haven’t broken any rules and still ended up with an IP ban, someone using your network might have done so, leading to an IP-wide ban for all accounts on the network. It’s not your fault, but it does happen.
If you got an unfair IP ban, the five ways to unblock Fortnite mentioned above will help you out. For any justified IP ban on your part, we’d advise you to wait out the ban.
Who Plays Fortnite?
Fortnite has hundreds of millions of players all around the globe. It’s hugely popular among people from all walks of life. Fortnite’s cartoonish style and lack of gore have made it a huge hype amongst kids and teenagers.
While it’s true that you’ll find plenty of 11-year-olds playing the game, Fortnite is enjoyed by people of all ages. Like most games, 68% of its audience is made up of people between 10-30 years old.
Is Fortnite safe for children?
Fortnite’s popularity with the younger demographic has made it a concern for some parents. Fortnite is a shooting game, after all, so is it safe for children to play?
Like any online video game, there are risks to kids accessing Fortnite unsupervised. Harassment is highest on that list, but other risks exist, too, like being exposed to inappropriate content and compromising their privacy and online safety.
However, none of these are a reason to keep your children from playing Fortnite. With a little bit of care, all of these risks can be overcome. For more info on that, read our article about kids’ safety on Fortnite.
Tips to Stay Safe on Fortnite
If you want to ensure your or your child’s safety on Fortnite, here’s what you need to do:
- Stay anonymous: Fortnite can be a welcoming community, but it’s still important to remain anonymous. Use a fake name for your Fortnite account to stay protected and make sure your profile doesn’t reveal who you are.
- Use a VPN: It’s not enough to use a pseudonym as your username. You also need a VPN if you want to keep your IP address private.
- Don’t share sensitive information with strangers: This includes your address, social media profiles, phone number, and your real name.
- Don’t click on unknown links: You may accidentally install malware through a phishing attempt.
- Enable two-factor authentication: This will make it nearly impossible for your account to be hacked. You can activate Fortnite’s 2FA by going to your “Account” page on your Epic Games account and clicking on “Two-factor Authentication” under the “Password & Security” tab.
- Enable parental controls to protect your kid’s account: You can find this option in the main menu, under “Parental Controls.”
Final Thoughts: Fortnite IP Bans
Fortnite is a very fun game, but one small misstep can lead to your IP being banned. Fortnite’s IP bans are annoying, especially if the ban wasn’t directly your fault. You’ll be locked out of your account and won’t be able to play until the ban is lifted.
If a Fortnite ban has affected you unfairly, you can unblock it in different ways. Using a different network, leveraging dynamic IP addresses, or waiting it out are all valid options. However, a subscription to NordVPN is by far the easiest and fastest way to remove a Fortnite IP ban.
Want a quick rundown of the most important things to remember about Fortnite IP bans? Check the frequently asked questions below!
The fastest way to remove a Fortnite IP ban is to get a VPN, change your IP address, and then log into a different Fortnite account. You can also try connecting to another dynamic IP address, or use another network, but that’s not always a practical solution.
Fortnite bans are both based on IP addresses and hardware IDs. The game might also ban users based on their accounts. However, IP bans are the most common. Thankfully, there are several ways to remove Fortnite IP bans, such as using a VPN to change your IP address.
It doesn’t seem so. There’s no evidence to suggest VPN usage in general is banned by Fortnite. However, if you use unreliable VPNs, you might get banned because you’re using a shared IP address that more people are using. As long as you get a good VPN, you’ll be able to play Fortnite easily. There are even some decent free VPNs that work with Fortnite.
Yes, Fortnite can ban your IP address for offenses against Epic Games’ code of conduct or a tournament’s rule set. These offenses range from cyberbullying to cheating. In some cases, you might find your IP blocked because another playing using your account or network violated Fortnite’s terms. A VPN will help you get around such unfair IP bans.