Did you know that you can save money with a VPN when buying a whole host of things online? It only takes a few moments to setup, and what’s more, you’ll be improving your online safety and security at the same time. We’ve done our research and collated some of the most common ways that users save money with a VPN when shopping online. This includes making savings on:
- Streaming services
- Flight tickets
- Hotel bookings
- Video games
Of course, you’re going to need a VPN. Owing to a huge choice of countries, ExpressVPN is our best VPN right now. It’s not the cheapest VPN service, but you could well save more money than you spend.
How do you use a VPN? You get a lot of advantages with a VPN (virtual private network), including greater online anonymity and security. But did you know that you can save money with a VPN? When you connect to a virtual private network, you change your IP address. Choose a foreign VPN server, and you’ll change your IP to an IP address that’s located in the same country as the server.
Different countries get different prices on a range of products and online services, including streaming services, flight tickets, hotel bookings, and video games! So, make it appear as if you’re located in another country, and you can benefit from regional discounts. If you know what you’re doing, you can save money online with a VPN and all it’ll take you is a few minutes of your time. If you don’t know what you’re doing, then read on! Below, we’ll show you how to use your new VPN subscription to save some cash.
How to Save Money with a VPN on Subscriptions
Saving money with a VPN is very simple; all you need to do is download and subscribe to a VPN client, choose a server in another country, and start your connection. After choosing a VPN, it’ll take you no more than a few minutes to go through the steps below. After that, you can start your online shopping.
How to use a VPN: A brief step-by-step guide
- Choose a VPN provider. ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, not to mention some of the fastest VPN connections, so it’s a good place to start. You can subscribe on the provider’s website, and Express VPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download ExpressVPN or another if you prefer. There’s a list of the best VPNs further down in this article to help you!
- Install the VPN onto your computer (or download the mobile app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store).
- Log into your VPN account, and choose a VPN server. Not sure which one to use? Check out our guidance on how to save money with a VPN below. We’ll give you the best VPN locations for discounts!
- Hit the connect button to start your VPN connection.
Now, you’re ready to start saving money with your VPN. Below, you’ll find a list of all the ways in which you can make your cash go further by simply changing your IP address!
1. Save Money with a VPN when Streaming
This tactic isn’t limited to just one streaming service, but we’re going to use Netflix as an example of how some people have saved money with a VPN when streaming. Before we dive in, there are two things you should know. Firstly, many VPNs are now blocked by Netflix; they’re putting up a fight to defend their broadcasting rights. As such, using a VPN to watch Netflix could result in an account ban. Secondly, they’re equally unhappy about customers using VPNs to get cheaper pricing. So, be sure to keep these things in mind should you try to follow the same steps used successfully by others, which are listed below:
- Check the cost of a Netflix subscription in your country to give you a starting point. Simply open Google and search for “Netflix subscription”; it should be the first result. For example, American Netflix viewers can grab a Premium plan for $17.99 per month.
- Now, you’ll want to connect to a VPN server in a country with the cheapest Netflix subscriptions. At the time of writing, likely due to the economy, you can get an Argentinian Netflix subscription for approximately $0.26! So, connect to an Argentina VPN server. You’ll find more information on the best Netflix VPNs and getting a Netflix discount in our article.
- You’ll need a payment method registered in the same country. Fortunately, Argentinian Netflix lets you sign up with a Netflix Gift Code. So, find a place to buy one of those online and you’ll be able to use it to sign up! If you are really serious about saving money, this is the way to go!
- You can also save money on a YouTube Premium subscription, as it’s available for a much cheaper price in certain countries.
2. Save Money on Your Net Flight Ticket With a VPN
Looking to save a little money on your holiday? Well, you can get cheap flight tickets by connecting to a VPN in another country. Since flight ticket prices are constantly fluctuating and local demand can influence price rises, there’s no single country to choose here. Instead, shop around using your VPN; try connecting to different servers before booking your flights. Often, picking a lower-income country results in better prices. From testing different VPN locations, we were able to get a discount in most cases. Some of the results we’ve found are listed below. While these discounts are fairly small, it all adds up, and we’ve seen others that save as much as $40-50!
|Route||Price in the United States||Cheaper in|
|London to New York||$949||$939.81 (India)|
|Brussels to Frankfurt||$198||$186 (Indonesia)|
|Paris to Amsterdam||$246||$239.36 (Ukraine)|
People have seen success by going through the steps below:
- Go to Skyscanner and input the details for your upcoming trip. Check which flight is best-suited to you (the cheapest or the fastest, for example) and make a note of the price in your local currency.
- Close your browser and connect to a VPN server in another country.
- Go back to Skyscanner and input the same flight details, then click search.
- Compare flight prices for the same flight you were looking at before.
- Once you find a discount, congratulations – you’ve managed to save money on your flight tickets with a VPN!
3. Save Money with a VPN when Booking Hotels
So, you’ve got your flight tickets, and you’ve managed to save money with a VPN. Well, if you’re jetting off abroad, you’re going to need a hotel booking too! Users have been able to knock some serious bucks off their bookings by searching for hotels with a VPN. Again, you’re going to have to play around with your VPN to find a cheaper server. We checked out the Milestone Hotel in Kensington, London, and we saw some pretty big variations depending on our VPN location.
|Country||Price Using a VPN|
We’ve seen that some users can save money on hotel bookings by going through the steps below:
- Open Booking.com and put your trip details in, before searching for hotels.
- Make a note of the hotel you like and its price, then close your browser.
- Connect to a VPN server in another country.
- Open Booking.com again and search for your chosen hotel and trip dates.
- Compare hotel prices in your native currency and on a VPN connection. From our research, you could save money on hotel bookings if you find the right country!
4. Save Money on Video Games with a VPN
If you’re a PC gamer or know somebody who is, you can even save money on video games by using a VPN. Most PC gamers will be familiar with the game service “Steam”. Well, it would seem that different countries get different prices on some of the latest games through the Steam Store. Check out the table below as an example of discounts that some users have been able to score:
|Game||Country||Approximate Price (USD)|
|Cyberpunk 2077||United States||$59.99|
Here are the steps that frugal gamers have followed to net themselves a discount on the latest releases:
- Go to the Steam Store and check the price of the games you’re interested in.
- Close your browser and connect to a VPN server in another country. Argentina seems to get some pretty large discounts.
- Open Steam again and look for the same video game.
- If the game’s cheaper on your VPN connection, score! If not, you can connect to a VPN in another country to see if you can find cheaper prices.
5. Save Money on Other Subscriptions with a VPN
We’ve done our research, and it turns out that people have saved money with a VPN when buying a whole bunch of subscriptions! Below, we’ve collated some of the examples we were able to find by scouring the net. We’ve also confirmed the figures by using a VPN:
|Subscription||Price in the United States||Price in India (using a VPN)|
|YouTube Premium||$11.99 p/m||$1.88 p/m|
|Apple Music||$9.99 p/m or $99 annual||$1.34 p/m or $5.41 annual|
|Spotify||$9.99 p/m||$1.61 p/m|
What Is The Best VPN for Your Money?
Whether you’re looking for the best value for money VPN or want to save money with a VPN via regional discounts from online retailers, we’ve got you covered. Below, we’ve listed the best VPNs for saving money, which offer excellent coverage across a vast range of countries. Some VPNs are pricier than others, so if you’re interested in saving the most, you might want to choose a cheap VPN provider like Surfshark.
1. ExpressVPN: The best VPN for choice of location
If you want the best deals, then you’re going to have to shop around. You might find the cheapest flight tickets in India, while the cheapest hotels might come from the USA. Of course, we’re not expecting you to fly over there yourself and check it out; that’s the beauty of a VPN service. If you choose a VPN provider that offers the broadest selection of countries, then you’ve got the biggest potential for discounts on online purchases. While ExpressVPN doesn’t have the most servers, they do have VPN servers in 94 countries.
- User-friendly interface
- The greatest choice of countries
- Unblocks American Netflix
- Torrents aren’t blocked
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
2. Surfshark: The best VPN for low subscription fees
Surfshark is one of the cheapest premium VPNs and even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re looking to save money with a VPN, then Surfshark’s prices could save you even more. This VPN’s popularity has really exploded; originally, it was an Android app and browser extension. Today, it boasts great connection speeds, strong data encryption, and really simple, easy-to-use software. The drawback is that Surfshark doesn’t allow you to choose the country you connect to.
- Unblocks Netflix in numerous countries
- Doesn’t log your data
- Torrenting is allowed
- Customer service is great
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
3. NordVPN: The best VPN for security and advanced features
Headquartered in Panama, NordVPN isn’t part of any of the main surveillance alliances, which include Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes. In addition to a strict data-logging policy, this means that your browsing, download, and personal data is safe. NordVPN uses one of the most powerful encryption methods available – 256-bit AES encryption. You’ll get a kill switch, a dedicated IP option, and advanced security configuration options. Most importantly, it’s one of the fastest VPNs you can find right now.
- Speeds of up to 600Mbps-800Mbps
- Over 5,000 VPN servers worldwide
- Advanced security feature suite
- Can unblock Netflix and other popular streaming services
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
Are VPNs Safe?
Using a VPN when you go online is safer than surfing without one. Most VPN services don’t log your data, but usually, it’s best to stick to premium, well-reviewed VPN providers. Many free VPNs – and some that aren’t free! – say that they won’t log your data, but it’s not always true. There have been instances in the past where this promise was broken and data was passed to the authorities. This is why we recommend that you choose one of the best VPNs like ExpressVPN or Surfshark. This way, your data is kept hidden and secure. Check out our article that explains VPNs for more information.
What are the advantages of a VPN?
We believe that if more people understood the advantages of a VPN, then everybody would be using them! In most countries, VPNs are legal; not only that, but they’ll keep you safer online. Below, we’ve listed some of the pros of using a VPN:
- With a VPN, you change your IP address. Not only does this mean greater anonymity, but you’ll also be able to bypass geographical content restrictions online. This is how people are able to watch American Netflix from abroad for example.
- With a VPN, your internet traffic is heavily encrypted. Most premium VPNs use 256-bit AES encryption, which is used by militaries worldwide! This improves the security of your personal data online, especially on notoriously insecure public Wi-Fi connections.
- Since you’re hiding your IP address and encrypting all traffic, you’ll be able to download files anonymously. This is especially useful for sensitive company information for example, as it would be very difficult for a third party to snoop on what you’re downloading.
- You can avoid ISP (Internet Service Provider) throttling. Not every ISP follows this practice, but some providers throttle users’ connection speeds to reduce traffic on busy servers. Sometimes, they’ll throttle your connection if they think you’re downloading too much and using lots of data! However, with a VPN connection, you’ll fly under their radar.
- By encrypting your connection, you cloak your personal data and leave no browsing history or footprint in your tracks. This means that websites can’t identify you, which gives you further protection from paying too much. This is due to airlines and other companies using dynamic pricing, which can cause you to pay more than somebody else for a ticket. This is based on knowledge about you and your ability to pay more!
There are a lot of opportunities to save money with a VPN. Sure, you’ll need to take out a VPN subscription, but the savings are typically greater. For example, we’ve seen how a brand-new release on video game store Steam could be around $20.00 cheaper when you’re using a VPN to save money. This is around double the price of a whole month’s subscription to ExpressVPN. Just think of how much you could save if you start looking for discounts with a VPN. Just bear in mind that many websites and services disallow these actions in their Terms of Service; so, consider whether it’s a risk you want to take.
Note: All figures presented in this article were correct at the time of publication. Bear in mind that subscription and other service costs fluctuate from time to time, so the exact saving might not be the same.
If you’re looking to save money with a VPN when buying goods or services online, then we’ve got you covered. If you’ve still got questions, check out our list of frequently asked questions below.
You can indeed save money using a VPN when you go online to buy products or subscriptions. We’ve scoured the net to verify claims that users have saved money when shopping on a VPN connection. People have been able to bag themselves a discount by testing different VPN servers when buying:
- Streaming services
- Flight tickets
- Hotel bookings
- Video games
For more information and guidance on saving money with a VPN, check out our full article. You can check out how much users have saved when shopping with a VPN!
Netflix is cheaper in some countries than others. Often, when something is cheaper in one country compared to another, it can be due to the economy in that country. Factors like inflation and recession can influence the cost of subscriptions or physical products. This is why, right now, users have reported snagging a Basic Netflix subscription for the equivalent of just $0.26 when using an Argentinian IP!
Don’t worry, it won’t cost you a fortune to get a VPN subscription. However, it is around $12 to $13 dollars for a monthly subscription to some of the best VPN providers. Just remember, if you choose to replicate some of the data we’ve found in this article, then you might get a good discount on your next foreign trip or subscription purchase. Besides, you’ll also be benefiting from greater online safety and security by connecting to a VPN.