Do you wish to connect your Google Chromecast to a VPN so you can watch the American Netflix and secure your connection? If so, you’ll need to set up the VPN on a router or virtual router. This is how that works on a router:
- Make sure you have a router that works with a VPN.
- Flash your router (if needed) and install your VPN on the router.
- Connect your Chromecast to the router’s Wi-Fi network.
Do you want to connect your Chromecast via a virtual router or hotspot? Follow these steps:
- Choose a VPN and install it on your computer.
- Set up a WiFi hotspot or virtual router on your computer.
- Connect your Chromecast to the WiFi network of the virtual router/hotspot.
Are you looking for a good VPN that works with Chromecast? We recommend Surfshark:
Would you like to install a VPN on your Chromecast but you don’t know how? Read here what the possibilities are. Sadly, you cannot install a VPN directly onto your Chromecast. However, you can protect your Chromecast by installing your VPN on your router or creating a virtual router on your PC or Mac that is protected with a VPN. If you would first like to read more about the advantages of the use of a VPN in combination with your Chromecast read our article on VPN for Chromecast.
How to Set up a VPN on Your Router
By setting up a VPN on your router you protect all your devices at the same time. Your devices access the internet through your router. The VPN on the router will make sure this is all protected and encrypted.
The first important step is to figure out if your router is suitable for the use of a VPN. To install the VPN, you have to change the firmware of your router (flashing) and not every router allows you to do this.
When you have a suitable router, you can start flashing it but you must do so with care. Flashing your router comes with risks. If you don’t know what you are doing you can damage your router. We have written a guide for installing your VPN on your router.
Once you have found a suitable router, flashed firmware, and installed the VPN you are ready to connect your Chromecast to the router. This isn’t any different how you would normally connect it to your router.
Installing a VPN on Your Router:
- Check if your router is suitable for “flashing”(find out how to do this in our article about VPN routers).
- Change the firmware of your router and install the VPN, following our extended guide.
- Connect your Chromecast to the Wi-Fi network of the flashed router.
How to Set up a VPN on a Virtual Router
If it isn’t possible to change the firmware on your router or does it sound like too much trouble? Well, you can also create a Wi-Fi hotspot on you Windows PC or Mac and connect your Chromecast to that hotspot. This is an easy method to secure your Chromecast and start bypassing geographical restricts. However, you should keep in mind that this method can slow down your internet.
Installing a VPN on a Virtual Router:
- Install a VPN on your PC or Mac. Most providers have an easy installation wizard that will guide you through it.
- Create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac. How you can do this differs for every device.
- Connect your Chromecast to the network on your PC or Mac that has been secured with a VPN.
The Best VPN Providers for Google Chromecast
We have tested many VPN providers for Google Chromecast. We tested them on speed, server locations, and overall quality. The following providers scored well in these categories and are perfect to use in combination with your Chromecast dongle. If you want to know what our all-round favorite providers are you can check out our list of the best VPN providers. There are some free VPN services but these don’t work very well if you want to stream. Free VPN services often lack speed and put a limit on the amount of data you can use. This makes is virtually impossible to use them for streaming.
1. ExpressVPN for Google Chromecast
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN providers. With more than 1700 servers in over 90 countries, you will be able to bypass any geographical restrictions. Their applications are easy-to-use and their customer support service is great. Their connections are fast enough to stream movies or music without lag. Read more about this provider in our full ExpressVPN review.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
2. Surfshark for Google Chromecast
Surfshark is a relatively new VPN-provider. However, in a short period of time they have won over many happy users. Surfshark has no limit for the number of people that can use one account at the same time, this is ideal if you want to install it on all your devices. Moreover, it is easy to stream with this VPN because of their fast servers all over the world. In addition, they are also one of the cheapest VPN-providers out there!
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
3. CyberGhost for Google Chromecast
CyberGhost has a large offer of servers worldwide that will provide you with access to geo-blocked material. The speeds they offer are high enough to streaming without much lag in the best quality. CyberGhost, is very affordable for the quality you get in return. To learn more about this provider, check out our CyberGhost review.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
Installing a VPN to protect your Chromecast isn’t as easy as it is for Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. However, if you really want to do it you have some options. You can install a VPN on your router or on a virtual router on your PC or Mac. In both cases you Chromecast will be protected by the VPN if it connects to one of these networks. With the combination of a VPN and Google Chromecast you have access to geo-blocked content and can stream safely and anonymously. This same process works for other devices as well, such as Roku and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Do you have a question about setting up a VPN on your Chromecast? Click one of the frequently asked questions below to see the answer!
If you want to use a VPN on Google Chromecast, you’ll have to do so via your (virtual) router. Install the VPN on this (virtual) router and make your Chromecast access the internet via this connection. You can read exactly how to set up a VPN for Chromecast in this article.