As true F1 fans know, it’s anything but easy to watch Formula 1 when you’re abroad, due to geographic restrictions enforced by streaming services. Fortunately, there is an easy way around this issue. You’ll just need a VPN.
We’ve put together a quick guide on how to unblock RTL in Luxembourg so you can watch any 2022 Formula 1 Grand Prix race for free:
- Subscribe to a good streaming VPN. We recommend NordVPN (currently with a nice discount and 30-day money-back guarantee).
- Download and install the right VPN app on your device (smartphone, computer, or tablet).
- Connect to a server in Luxembourg to watch RTL. If you want to watch a stream in a different country, connect to a server in that country instead.
- Wait a few seconds after the VPN connects.
- Navigate to RTL’s live TV player and click on “Live” in the top menu.
- Click on the Formula 1 stream.
- You’re off to the races! Enjoy the 2022 F1 season!
Important: Some countries offer free F1 streams. These are official, legal streams, but generally only available in one specific country. Using a VPN however, you can access these streams from anywhere in the world. Just connect to that country’s server in step 3. Check out our list of free F1 streams that you can access with a VPN.
Don’t you just love the smell of high-octane fuel in the morning? The green flag is waving in the 2022 Formula 1 season, as Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton, Lando Norris, and plenty of other fan favorites take to the circuits. With races taking place in 34 countries across the globe — the Bahrain Grand Prix kicked the season off on March 20 — it’s no surprise that Formula 1 racing has become a worldwide phenomenon.
Many fans are ditching traditional cable providers, and are looking for online avenues to watch F1. If you’re from the United States, you can watch every single 2022 F1 Grand Prix with SlingTV. F1 fanatics in Brazil can live stream via Band for free, while citizens of Switzerland can use SRF for free F1 live streams.
But there’s a problem. You can’t access any of these providers unless you’re inside the country. Websites block outsiders from accessing their content by determining their IP address. If you want to unlock access to a foreign site streaming F1, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the key.
Want to learn how? We’ll break it all down for you in our guide to live streaming Formula 1 racing, no matter where you are in the world. We’ve got information on free streams, how to access them, and the entire F1 calendar below.
How to Watch F1 Live All Over the World
No matter where you are in the world, you can generally access Formula 1 races one of three ways. Those three main options are:
- Use a local stream: If you’re an avid fan of Formula 1 racing and live in an area where the races are covered, you’ll be able to catch a local stream. Additionally, if you’re traveling abroad in a country with local coverage, you can follow the action with one of their local streams, such as that of Channel 4 in England. Many of these local streams are even completely free. Just be careful that the stream you choose is legal. But fear not, later in this article you will find a list of fully legal free F1 streams.
- Follow the race on local television: If you’re in an area with a local stream, chances are you can also enjoy watching Formula 1 live on local television. Perhaps you can even join other racing fans at the pub around the corner or enjoy the Grands Prix broadcast with friends at a watch party.
- Watch a Formula 1 stream online with a VPN: If you’re traveling away from home and find yourself not able to access your usual F1 stream anymore, you can watch it with a VPN. With a VPN, you can change your IP address to your home country’s IP address, wherever you are. This way you can also enjoy your usual sports live stream during your vacation abroad.
Do I Need a VPN to Watch F1?
A VPN is a must-have in the following situations:
- You’re on a vacation abroad or away on business but want to watch a Formula 1 broadcast from your home country (e.g. because of the commentary).
- You find yourself in a country where you don’t have the right tv package or where they don’t broadcast Formula 1 at all.
- You want to watch a free Formula 1 live stream.
Are you in one of these situations? You’ll certainly need a VPN.
Why do you need a VPN to watch F1 racing?
So, why do you need a VPN? The main reason has everything to do with geographic restrictions and broadcasting rights. Media companies have to pay for rights to stream or broadcast content in different regions and countries. If they want to show a certain type of content in more regions, they generally have to pay a greater amount to the party that owns the rights.
As a consequence of this, streaming services must block users who try to access their content from a region or country which is not covered by their broadcasting license. They usually do this by checking your IP address — a unique address that shows websites, amongst other online platforms, where you are.
However, a VPN can change your IP address and make it seem like you’re in another country than you actually are. This way you can get access to any F1 stream you desire, regardless of your location!
A Step-By-Step Guide: How to Watch Formula 1 Anywhere
- Subscribe to a premium VPN provider. The best VPN provider for watching every Formula 1 race is NordVPN. This VPN offers over 5,100 fast streaming servers in 60 countries. This VPN is reliable and fast. Plus, you can take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee to try NordVPN for free. Do you want to know what else you can do? Then read our NordVPN review.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device (laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.). You’ll be able to find the right download on the official website of your VPN provider.
- Open the app and log in.
- Choose a VPN server in the country where your stream is based. If you want to watch RTL’s free F1 stream, for example, connect to a VPN server in Luxembourg.
- After a few seconds, you will be connected to the VPN server. Keep the VPN running in the background.
- Go to the F1 stream you want to watch and cheer on your favorite F1 driver! You can also use a VPN to connect to any of these official free Formula 1 streams.
Set up a VPN on another device
If you’d rather install the VPN on a different device that isn’t your phone or computer, you’ll have to take a different route. Below are some useful guides to help you install a VPN on different devices:
- How to install a VPN on your Smart TV
- Installing a VPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick
- How to install a VPN on your Android TV
- Installing a VPN on your Google Chromecast
- How to Install a VPN on your Apple TV
- Installing a VPN on your router
Free F1 Live Streams
Now that you’ve got a VPN installed, there are a number of countries with free Formula 1 streams. These streams are only available if you’re within the country’s borders due to geo-restrictions. However, a quality VPN can give you access to these streams, regardless of where you are.
Below are some streams we found that work for free when using a VPN. Simply connect to a VPN server in the right country and enjoy the free F1 stream! We recommend RTL in Luxembourg for F1, but keep checking back for updates.
|Austria||Servus TV||Delayed Stream||None|
|France||Canal+||Live Stream||Canal Subscription|
|Germany||Servus TV||Delayed Stream||None|
|Luxembourg||RTL’s free F1 stream||Live Stream||None|
|Switzerland||SRF INFO||Live Stream||None|
|United Kingdom||Channel 4||Watch Highlights||Email, Name, and UK address|
|United States||SlingTV (ESPN and ABC)||Live Streams||Subscription (Free Trial)|
Simply select a VPN server in the country of the live stream you wish to watch (for instance, a Luxembourgish VPN server if you want to watch RTL), and you’ll be good to go!
Where Can I Watch Formula 1?
If you’re looking for coverage of the race in another language, below are all of the official F1 broadcasters worldwide.
|AUSTRALIA||Fox Sports Channels|
Play Sport Open
|CZECH REPUBLIC AND SLOVAKIA||AMC|
|HONG KONG||Now TV|
|ISRAEL||The Sports Channel|
|LATIN AMERICA||Fox Sports Channels|
|LUXEMBOURG||RTL Télé Lëtzebuerg|
|MALAYSIA AND BRUNEI||Astro Sports|
|NEW ZEALAND||Spark Sport|
|NORWAY||V sport 1|
V sport +
|PAPUA NEW GUINEA & PACIFIC ISLANDS||TV Action|
|SPAIN AND ANDORRA||F1 DAZN|
V sport motor
S Sport Plus
You will need a subscription for most of the broadcasters mentioned above. If you are not from a certain region, it may be difficult to sign up. This is because many broadcasters check where you live based on where your credit card or other payment method is registered.
However, some free broadcasters don’t require this, so you can watch their stream for free, as long as you have the correct IP address. That’s where a VPN comes in handy.
Live Stream F1 Racing with F1 TV
It’s also worth noting the platform F1 TV. You’ll be able to find every practice, qualification and Grand Prix here. F1 TV also provides a new, interactive service that allows you to select your favorite camera angles. F1 TV Pro even includes Formula 2 and 3 races.
The downside of F1 TV is that it’s about $80 per year, and it’s not available everywhere.
The Best VPN Providers for Streaming Formula 1
If you are looking for a good VPN to watch Formula 1, one of the most important features of the VPN you’re considering is where the servers are located. After all, if the VPN only has servers in a few countries, there’s a high chance that they won’t be in a country where Formula 1 live streams are available.
Another important aspect of a Formula 1 VPN is the VPN’s speed. This can be a make-or-break aspect in fact. Action-packed sports, especially F1 streams, will experience lag and buffering with less than ideal speed. As a result, you could just miss an important moment of the race.
Finally, the price and ease of use also play an important role in your choice. Fortunately, there are quality VPNs with great prices that are also user-friendly. Below, you’ll find our list of the best VPN providers for watching Formula 1 online.
Looking for a more extensive list? Check out our list of the 5 best VPN providers overall. But here are our Top 3.
NordVPN for F1: Fast and furious
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs around today. This VPN provider has fast servers with stable and dependable connections every time. As a result, streaming live-action sports is typically smooth, without a lot of buffering or lag.
Additionally, NordVPN is one of the most user-friendly VPNs. Even the newest VPN users can navigate the application, connecting with servers around the globe with the touch of a button. You can use NordVPN’s VPN on six devices at the same time. The software is easy to install on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.
Top that off with the fact that NordVPN is also extremely secure with military-grade encryption and you have one of the best VPNs for streaming Formula 1.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
You can try NordVPN risk-free first and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee. If you decide NordVPN isn’t for you, simply request a refund.
Surfshark for F1: Gets to the finish, fast and cheap
If you need a user-friendly VPN with some great options, look no further than Surfshark. This service is ideal if you have little experience with VPNs, as the service is very user-friendly and easy to install. In addition, Surfshark has servers in countries where other providers do not.
Another big plus of Surfshark is the relatively low price. This is in addition to its 30-day money-back guarantee on all its longer plans. This means you can test out the VPN to watch Formula 1 online without a commitment.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
Private Internet Access (PIA) for F1: The veteran VPN racer
Private Internet Access is another top VPN provider for streaming Formula 1 online. PIA has been around for more than a decade, and it’s one of the most consistent VPN service providers available right now. This provider does not keep logs and offers strong encryption to users. Plus, it has special servers for both streaming and P2P traffic.
PIA offers an extensive choice of servers and server locations. In addition, PIA is also a relatively cheap VPN service and with their 30-day money-back guarantee you can easily test out watching Formula 1 races with a VPN.
- Strong focus on privacy and security
- Good price
- Fast and stable servers
Can You Watch 2022 F1 with a Free VPN?
You’ve probably come across free VPNs while digging for free F1 live streams. While free VPNs can be quite useful, they are not ideal for streaming live sports. Want to know why?
- Data and speed limits: Most free VPNs have speed and bandwidth limits, which means that their stream quality may not be up to par for the entire race. While you may get a strong start, it’s the finish line that counts in Formula 1.
- Limited bank of servers: Free VPNs usually do not have a wide arsenal of servers that premium VPNs do. Their servers may even be limited to a few regions. This limits the number of potential streams you can access. Try accessing Luxembourg servers with a free VPN!
- Security weaknesses: The bottom line is that many free VPNs have serious privacy concerns. In order to turn a profit, they collect and share the browsing data and the personal information of their users. Considering how many people flock to VPNs for their security and privacy features, free services just don’t make the cut.
2022 F1 Grand Prix Calendar
Now that you know exactly how and where to watch every Formula 1 Grand Prix, wherever you are, you’ll obviously want to know when all the F1 races take place! That’s exactly why we included a handy table below, which includes all 23 Grand Prix races that are confirmed for the 2022 Formula 1 season and their respective dates.
Each Grand Prix takes place on a Sunday (local track time), with qualifiers held a day before.
|March 20||Bahrain Grand Prix||Bahrain International Circuit|
|March 27||Saudi Arabian Grand Prix||Jeddah Corniche Street Circuit|
|April 10||Australian Grand Prix||Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit|
|April 24||Imola Grand Prix||Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari|
|May 8||Miami Grand Prix||Miami International Autodrome|
|May 22||Gran Premio de Espana||Circuit de Catalunya|
|May 29||Monaco GP||Circuit de Monaco|
|June 12||Azerbaijan Grand Prix||Baku City Circuit|
|June 19||Grand Prix du Canada||Circuit Gilles Villeneuve|
|July 3||British Grand Prix||Silverstone Circuit|
|July 10||Grosser Preis von Osterreich||Red Bull Ring|
|July 24||Grand Prix de France||Circuit Paul Ricard|
|July 31||Magyar Nagydij||Hungaroring|
|Aug 28||Belgian Grand Prix||Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps|
|Sep 4||Dutch Grand Prix||Circuit Zandvoort|
|Sep 11||Gran Premio D Italia||Autodromo Nazionale Monza|
|Oct 2||Singapore Grand Prix||Singapore Street Circuit|
|Oct 9||Japanese Grand Prix||Suzuka International Racing Course|
|Oct 23||United States Grand Prix||Circuit of The Americas|
|Oct 30||Gran Premio de Mexico||Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez|
|Nov 13||Grande Premio do Brasil||Autódromo José Carlos Pace|
|Nov 20||Abu Dhabi Grand Prix||Yas Marina Circuit|
Quick Explanation: What Does a VPN Do?
A VPN encrypts your data and lets you connect to the internet via an external VPN server. This gives your device the server’s IP address and makes it seem like you’re accessing the internet from that location. You can use this to watch F1, but also, for example, the MotoGP or even the American version of Netflix from abroad.
Because of the encryption, hackers and internet criminals can’t just steal your data. A VPN, in other words, has plenty of security features to help you stay safe on the web. For more information, check out our extensive article on VPNs right here.
Are you looking for a quick answer to a question? We’ve created a short FAQ below filled with questions regarding watching Formula 1 online. Simply click the question you’re interested in and the answer will appear below.
Depending on your location, there are a lot of online streams available that show Formula 1 races. Two examples include:
- In the USA, Grand Prix races are usually broadcast by ESPN
- In the UK, Formula 1 races are often carried by Channel 4 and Sky Sports.
If you wish to get access to a stream, you often need a subscription to that service. Once you’ve got that, you can access the right stream from their official website. Our full article walks you through how to watch Formula 1 online from anywhere.
Legal online streams and channels that broadcast Formula 1 can only do so because they have purchased the broadcasting rights within a certain country. If you are not in that country, because you are on a vacation or business trip, for example, your normal stream will suddenly no longer work. This is because the website on which you normally watch Formula 1 races can see what country you’re connecting from due to your IP address.
Do you still want to watch your usual stream online, even when outside of your home country? Then this can be done with a VPN.
There are countless free Formula 1 streams to be found online. However, many of these aren’t legal. Therefore, it’s important to always make sure you’re using the right platform. Have you found a free stream? Check whether it isn’t an illegal copy of an official stream, such as the British Sky Sport or the American ESPN.
In our article on the Formula 1, we’ve highlighted some free Formula 1 streams that are available to viewers in a particular region or who are using a VPN.
There are several VPN services that will allow you to watch Formula 1 online, wherever you are in the world. We would personally recommend NordVPN to watch Formula 1 races if you want to have a secure connection with great speed. Both Surfshark and CyberGhost also offer great services, although those might don’t offer as many server options as NordVPN. They are, however, cheaper.