Use a VPN server in Iceland to get an Icelandic IP address. With an Iceland IP, you’ll be able to watch Icelandic TV online and unblock websites like RÚV. If you’re traveling overseas, accessing your bank or other accounts with an Icelandic IP will also reduce the risk of being locked out. Simply follow these steps:
- Create a VPN account. ExpressVPN offers speedy, reliable VPN servers.
- Download and install the VPN client and sign in.
- Select an Icelandic VPN server.
- Start your VPN connection by hitting the connect button.
- Now, you’ll be browsing under an Icelandic IP.
Do you want to get an Icelandic IP address? If you’re traveling outside of Iceland or trying to access Icelandic online content, you may have noticed that some websites are blocked. This is especially true of streaming services and TV networks that use geoblocking – geographical restrictions – to prevent visitors from overseas accessing their content.
Often, this is due to broadcasting rights; some channels and streaming services simply don’t have permission to show content outside of their country. The good news is that you can bypass geoblocking restrictions by getting a new IP address that’s located in the same country where the blocked content is viewable. So, by changing your IP address to an Icelandic IP, you can access your favorite websites or other online activities from Iceland, while overseas.
Below, we’ll show you how you can get an Icelandic IP address from anywhere.
How to Get an Icelandic IP address from Anywhere
If you’ve hit a roadblock trying to access Icelandic websites abroad, it’s probably due to geoblocking restrictions. While the main television broadcaster, RÚV, does not block overseas visitors, other websites do. So, how do you bypass a geoblock? All you need to do is connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network), select an Icelandic VPN server, and establish a connection.
Geoblocking works by analyzing your IP address, which is automatically assigned by your network in most cases. This is almost like an electronic ID tag, and it can tell a website which country you’re visiting from. This is bad news if you want to access Netflix abroad for example, as most of the content on Netflix is geoblocked. Again, this is due to broadcasting rights.
For more information, check out our guide on how a VPN works. Otherwise, for more information on how you can get an Icelandic IP address, continue with our step-by-step guide below! We’ve also highlighted the best VPN to get you started.
Step-by-step guide: Get an Icelandic IP address from anywhere using a VPN
- First, decide which VPN to use. If you do go with our recommended VPN, ExpressVPN, then you’ll benefit from a great money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, you can get a refund within the first 30 days.
- Download the VPN software or app that you’ve chosen onto your computer or other device.
- Create an account, either on the website or through the software user interface, and then sign into your account.
- Find an Icelandic VPN server and connect.
- Now that you have a VPN connection, your existing IP address will have been replaced with an Icelandic IP. This means you’ll have access to any websites or online services in Iceland that were previously blocked.
Choosing an Icelandic VPN: Are free VPNs worth it?
Should you use a free VPN? We wouldn’t recommend it over a paid VPN subscription. Before you download anything, check out these common drawbacks of free VPNs:
- ExpressVPN and NordVPN are some of the only VPN providers that offer a truly private browsing experience, as they have a strict no-logging policy. This means that your data and browsing activity won’t be stored on their servers. Conversely, some free VPNs store your logs, even when they say otherwise. They may even sell your data to third parties!
- When you’re watching TV or streaming online, you don’t want to stare at the buffering wheel. Or, you don’t want to worry about connection breaks every now and then. Worse still, with a freeVPN, you could hit a data cap. With a paid VPN subscription, these problems go away. You’ll have a fast, stable connection without data limitations that could ruin your experience.
- Free VPNs usually don’t spend a lot on their network, which means they usually have less servers. With a reduced server count, there will be more users sharing bandwidth. If there are many users connected to the same server, you’ll start to see a noticeable drop in speed, which could lead to the connection issues we outlined above. More importantly, you might not even find a VPN server in a country that you need.
You’re probably starting to understand why we always prefer to use a subscription-based VPN to stay secure and anonymous online. Our favorite VPN provider right now is ExpressVPN. With over 3,000 servers in 94 countries across the world, you won’t have to worry about slow connection speeds or a lack of servers.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
Get an Icelandic IP Address: Is Using a VPN Safe?
If you’re not all that familiar with VPNs, the good news is that yes, VPNs are safe. Actually, using a VPN when you go online is safer than not using a VPN. Your new IP address isn’t tied to your real identity, so you’ve got greater security and anonymity. As long as you avoid malicious links, downloads, and websites, you’ll enjoy much more safety when you’re online.
What is the Best VPN for an Icelandic IP Address?
To get an Icelandic IP address, we recommend using ExpressVPN. With servers in 94 countries across the globe, including Iceland, you’ll have no trouble finding the server you need. That said, there are plenty of other good VPNs out there, so we’ve rounded up our top 3 below.
1. ExpressVPN: A fast, no-logs Icelandic VPN
- Can be used on multiple devices with just one subscription
- Customer support is available 24 hours a day via live chat or email
- ExpressVPN keeps no logs of user activity
- A 30-day money-back guarantee in case you change your mind
- Vast range of 3,000+ VPN servers across 90 countries
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for unblocking websites abroad. With more than 90 countries supported, you won’t usually struggle to find a server in the country you need. What’s more, with 3,000+ servers, connection speeds are fast and reliable.
2. NordVPN: Icelandic VPN with minimal loss of speed
- User-friendly software, approachable for newbies
- More than 5,000 VPN servers, with multiple VPN servers in Iceland
- Supports up to 6 devices per account
- There are no VPN bandwidth restrictions
- A reassuring no-logging policy
- New subscribers get 3 months for free
NordVPN is another big player in the VPN space, with 6 dedicated servers in Iceland. While this number may sound low, NordVPN is known for having excellent connection speeds. A quick test revealed a drop in speeds from 74 Mbps down to 66.5 Mbps while using an Icelandic VPN connection with NordVPN.
3. Surfshark: A cheap VPN for Iceland IP addresses
- A cheaper option, but still an excellent VPN
- Unlimited devices and simultaneous connections under one subscription
- Unblock Icelandic TV channels – Surfshark works with RÚV
- 24-hour live chat support for subscribers
- Has a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you change your mind
- Can be used to unblock Netflix overseas
While Surfshark has around the same number of servers as our favorite VPN service, ExpressVPN, its subscription plan is cheaper. Surfshark covers 50+ countries and offers a money-back guarantee for new users. You’ll also get support for unlimited devices with this VPN.
Why Should I Use a VPN with an IP Address in Iceland?
Your IP address is determined automatically by your internet network. Usually, your IP address doesn’t change, and in most cases, this isn’t really an issue for day-to-day internet surfing. However, this little address tells websites in which country you’re located. That’s bad news if you’re trying to access tv shows and streaming services in Iceland from overseas.
To access blocked sites from outside of Iceland, you’ll need to change your IP address to an Icelandic one. However, that’s not the only benefit to using a VPN server in Iceland. According to a recent index of internet restrictions in countries across the world, Iceland enjoys the highest degree of internet freedom in the world. Apart from this, there are no data retention laws for emails; the law allows for complete anonymity; and Icelandic courts are known for fighting for user privacy. It’s common for court orders demanding user data to be thrown out.
And that’s not the end of the advantages of using a VPN. A VPN connection will help keep you safe when using public Wi-Fi abroad or at home. It’ll also keep your data encrypted, making you better-protected against phishing attacks, annoying online advertising, and identity theft. It’s hard to ignore the advantages of using a VPN, especially if you want to take your privacy seriously.
What to Look For in a VPN Provider
There are certain things you should look at when selecting the best VPN provider. Below, we’ve highlighted some of the most important features to help you make a decision on which VPN to use.
- Make sure the VPN has Icelandic servers. To get an Iceland IP address, you need to connect to a VPN server that’s located within that country. Free VPNs typically offer a much smaller selection of servers, while paid VPNs like ExpressVPN have more; ExpressVPN has thousands of servers in nearly 100 countries.
- Look for a fast connection. ExpressVPN supports speeds of up to 600 Mbps, while NordVPN can reach 800 Mbps in certain circumstances. Free VPN connection speeds are rarely anywhere near as competitive.
- Support for more than one device. Chances are that if you care about your own online security and anonymity, you care equally about your family’s too. Most paid VPNs support more than one device so that you can cover your spouse and kids under one subscription.
- Consider using a VPN with a kill switch. A VPN kill switch does exactly what it says on the tin. If you lose your connection to the VPN server, it kills your whole internet connection. This ensures that you’re not suddenly unprotected if your VPN connection drops out.
Using a VPN to get an Icelandic IP address is one of the best ways to improve your online security and anonymity. You’ll be able to access Icelandic content from anywhere in the world. All you’ll need is a subscription to a VPN provider like ExpressVPN. You can also check out our list of the best free VPNs in case you’re still considering a free VPN, though paid providers offer far superior security, anonymity, and speed.
Getting an Icelandic IP address is easy. You’ll just need a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection. If you have questions about the process, check out our FAQ below.
Here’s a quick rundown on how you can get an Iceland IP address:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider; we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device.
- Sign into the VPN or create an account.
- Locate and connect to an Iceland VPN server.
- That’s it! Now, you’ll be browsing under an Icelandic IP address.
For more information and guidance, take a look at our full article.
If you’re traveling overseas or simply interested in Icelandic TV shows, you’ll need a VPN. With an Icelandic IP address, you can watch Icelandic TV shows online. A VPN connection can also help reduce the risk of flagging suspicious activity on your Glitnir or Central Bank account. Just locate an Icelandic VPN server and connect to change your IP address to an Icelandic IP.
By using a VPN server in Icelandic, you can watch RÚV and other Iceland TV channels online. This will let you watch popular Icelandic TV shows such as “Blood Brothers” (Fóstbræður). For fast and reliable VPN connections, we recommend ExpressVPN for an Icelandic IP address.