With a Swiss IP address, you’ll be able to access websites in Switzerland that are blocked overseas. All you need to do is download a VPN. You’ll also benefit from improved anonymity and security online. Here’s a quick guide on how to get a Swiss IP address from anywhere:
- Decide which VPN provider to use. ExpressVPN offers a lengthy money-back guarantee.
- Download a VPN and install the software.
- Create an account and sign in.
- Start up your VPN software, and choose a VPN server located in Switzerland.
- Connect to your chosen server to start your secure browsing session.
- When you’re done, don’t forget to disconnect. That’s it. You’re done!
Are you traveling outside of Switzerland and missing your favorite television shows? You’ve probably already realized that, without being in the country, you can’t easily watch Swiss TV online. Some channels are still accessible, but others are blocked due to geographical restrictions, or “geo-blocks.” These blocks are also the reason that you can’t watch Swiss Netflix overseas from certain locations, even if you have a valid subscription at home.
However, there’s still a way to tune into channels like RTS and SRF 1 online. The good news is that, once you get a Swiss IP address, you’ll be able to watch Swiss TV abroad as if you were still in Switzerland. Whether you’re just across the border or on the other side of the world, you can get a Switzerland IP address in just a few simple steps.
How to Get a Swiss IP address from Anywhere
Trying to watch RTS or SRF 1 online? Unless you’re in Switzerland, you won’t be able to. Instead, you’ll see a message saying, “RTS does not have broadcasting rights outside Switzerland.” However, you can get around geographical restrictions using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
When you connect to a VPN server located in another country, your internet data is routed through that server, which changes your IP address. So, when you connect to a Swiss server, you’ll be assigned a Swiss IP address. Changing your IP address to a Swiss IP will allow you to access content blocked in Switzerland, wherever you are. If you’d like to learn more about VPNs, we have an article that explains exactly how a VPN works.
For step-by-step instructions on installing a VPN and unblocking websites in Switzerland, check out our brief guide below. Further on in this article, you’ll also find a list of the best VPNs to help you make your mind up on which VPN provider to use.
Step-by-step guide: Get a Swiss IP address from anywhere using a VPN
- First, you need to choose which VPN provider to use. With great customer support and a vast range of fast VPN servers, ExpressVPN is our top choice right now. It also has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download ExpressVPN or another VPN software package onto the device that you’ll be using.
- Run the VPN software, then create an account and sign in. You can skip this step if you’ve already subscribed via the website.
- Choose a Swiss VPN server and hit the connect button to start your private connection.
- Your usual IP address will have been replaced by a Swiss IP address. You’ll be able to access Swiss websites that would otherwise be blocked outside of Switzerland!
Choosing a VPN: Free or Paid VPNs?
You might be tempted to use a free VPN, and there are plenty of them around. But before you make a decision on which VPN to use, consider this:
- Free VPNs have limited servers: You’re going to need a Swiss IP address to get around geographical restrictions that are preventing you from accessing online content in Switzerland. Free VPNs have fewer servers in fewer countries compared to paid-for VPN providers. With a free VPN, you likely won’t be able to find a Swiss VPN server.
- Bandwidth and data restrictions: Since free VPNs aren’t collecting a subscription from you, their software is usually of lower quality. This can mean that your bandwidth is lower – resulting in slower speeds and lag – or that there are caps on how much data you can use. The latter will mean that your connection might get cut off in the middle of a movie or tv show, because you’ve run out of data.
- Limited or no support: Paid VPN providers often provide customer support for troubleshooting. If you use a free VPN, you’ll likely have to wait a long time for help — if there’s support available at all.
If you need to get a Swiss IP address quickly, we recommend using a tried-and-tested provider like ExpressVPN. This is our preferred VPN, with thousands of servers across 94 countries worldwide, including in Switzerland. What’s more, unlike some VPNs, it isn’t blocked by Netflix.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
Is Using a VPN to Get a Swiss IP Address Safe?
Browsing the internet with a VPN is safer than not using one at all, and in Switzerland, it’s completely legal to download, install, and use a VPN. A VPN will even reduce the chances of you falling victim to many of the dangers posed by the internet. Since a VPN cloaks the IP address tied to your real identity and replaces it with a Swiss IP address, you’ll be much harder to track online.
If you plan on using a VPN to get a Swiss IP address, there’s one additional point worth mentioning. Should you choose to use a VPN in Switzerland when visiting or returning home, there is one law to be wary of. It’s illegal to use a VPN to access international gambling websites from inside of Switzerland. This is due to the “Money Gaming Act,” which was introduced to reduce the impact that foreign gambling websites were having on the Swiss gambling industry.
Looking for more information on how a VPN works before you take the plunge? We’ve got you covered; check out our article on how a VPN works.
What is the Best VPN for a Swiss IP Address?
Our preferred VPN for getting a Swiss IP address is ExpressVPN, though alternatives are available. For an in-depth look at our choice of the best VPN providers, check out our top 5 of best VPNs. Otherwise, we’ve listed the best VPNs for accessing websites in Switzerland below.
1. ExpressVPN: The best VPN for a Swiss IP
- Supports multiple devices on a single subscription
- Over 3,000 servers in more than 90 countries worldwide
- Dedicated customer support
- Their money-back guarantee lasts for 30 days
If you need to unblock Swiss websites from abroad, ExpressVPN is one of the best choices. It offers multiple servers in Switzerland and is known for its high speeds, so you won’t have to wait for your Swiss content to load, regardless of where you take vacation. In short: with ExpressVPN’s Swiss servers you’ll easily be able to access the internet as if you were in Switzerland.
ExpressVPN also offers great speeds and high-quality service for any of its other server locations. This means that, even if you don’t necessarily need the Swiss IP anymore, this VPN can help you protect your internet, make you anonymous online, and give you access to geo-blocked content worldwide. The vast array of over 3,000 servers means you also won’t compete with other users for a speedy connection.
2. NordVPN: High security on Swiss servers
- Simple, easy-to-use software
- Use six different devices on a single subscription
- Many unblocking options
- Get 3 months free when subscribing
NordVPN has more than 100 Swiss VPN servers. This means that you’ll always be able to find a good Swiss IP that offers stable and fast connections so you can easily go online as if you were still in Switzerland. NordVPN is particularly good at unblocking content, and will allow you to watch Swiss TV as well as access any kind of geo-blocked website, no matter where you are in the world.
While this provider supports just 59 countries worldwide, fewer than ExpressVPN, it does have more than 5,000 servers worldwide. The software is easy to use, and you can even increase your online security with add-ons like a password manager and encrypted cloud storage.
3. Surfshark: A cheap option to get a Switzerland IP
- A cheaper VPN of great quality
- Good option for unblocking Netflix abroad
- No cap on number of devices
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
Just like NordVPN and ExpressVPN, Surfshark offers multiple servers in Switzerland. On top of the fact that their servers tend to be quite stable and fast, Surfshark also specifically focuses on unblocking Netflix. It works for getting access to the Netflix CH library from Switzerland, but also for access to Netflix USA and countless other local Netflix libraries.
Surfshark boasts roughly the same number of servers as ExpressVPN and covers around the same number of countries as NordVPN. However, it’s one of the cheaper VPNs compared to the aforementioned two. Even with the low subscription cost, you’ll still get a money-back guarantee and a VPN that supports unlimited devices.
Why Should I Use a VPN with a Swiss IP Address?
Your IP address is determined by your internet network. When you go online at home, you’re more than likely using a static IP address, which means that it doesn’t change. It’s tied to your real location, and crucially, your ISP can tell exactly what you’re doing with it. It also tells websites where you are in the world. This isn’t ideal, as it means that websites can block you if they’re based in another country.
Changing your IP address to that of another country is essential for accessing blocked sites. If you’re traveling (or permanently based) outside of Switzerland, you’ll need a Swiss IP address to unblock Swiss websites. Perhaps you have a Netflix account in Switzerland and can’t access specific shows on vacation. With a VPN, this problem goes away.
But there are other benefits of VPNs too. Perhaps you share a lot of private files or data online; sending this information through a VPN reduces the chance of it being accessed by a third party thanks to encryption. Or, maybe you flit from place to place and use public Wi-Fi hotspots to stay connected. You won’t have to worry about the risks of public Wi-Fi if you’re hooked up to a VPN server.
These are just a few of the many pros of using a VPN, in addition to the fact that:
- You’ll have more freedom online.
- Advertising cookies and other online pests will find it much harder to track you.
- You could save money online by benefiting from regional discounts.
- Using a kill switch ensures that you’ll never browse without the protection of a VPN.
If you’re interested in reading more about the advantages of a VPN, check out these points in more detail.
What Should I Look for in a VPN for Switzerland?
You’ve looked at the best VPN providers, but you’re still torn on which to choose. Learning about what VPNs do can be a chore if you’ve never delved into it before. So, below, we’ve listed a number of points to consider when choosing a VPN. We take all of this and more into account when recommending our best VPN providers:
- VPN servers in Switzerland: If you want a Swiss IP address, you need a provider offering VPN servers in Switzerland. The more servers, the better. At peak times, when lots of users connect, you don’t want to get disconnected or suffer a slower connection.
- Connection speeds: Connection speeds vary from one VPN provider to the next. Free VPNs are inevitably slower than paid-for providers. However, providers like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark offer some of the best speeds around.
- Support for more than one device: If you’re traveling with the family or kids, a VPN that supports multiple devices means that you can protect everybody online under a single subscription. Even if you’re flying solo, you can cover your smartphone, tablet, laptop, and anything else you may have with you, so you can access the internet as if you were in Switzerland with all your devices.
- Encryption and security: Aside from unblocking content with a VPN, you’ll also benefit from security features. Your new Swiss IP address won’t be tied to your real identity. Your data will be encrypted, protecting it from malicious third parties, and your ISP (Internet Service Provider) won’t be able to snoop on your online activity.
If you want to watch Swiss tv overseas or access blocked websites in Switzerland, you need to get yourself a Swiss IP address. If you insist on using a free VPN, we advise you to check out the best free VPNs first, although you might have a hard time finding one that offers Swiss IPs. For the best anonymity, freedom, and security online, we always recommend a paid VPN provider.
If you want to unblock Swiss websites and browse with greater freedom online, you need a Swiss IP address. Check out our FAQ below to see how you can connect to a Swiss VPN server.
- Download the best VPN, ExpressVPN, or choose another.
- Install the VPN software on the device you want to browse with.
- Create a VPN account and subscribe to a preferred plan.
- Sign into the VPN software once it has been installed.
- Choose a Swiss VPN server and connect.
- Now, you can watch Swiss tv online or access other blocked sites in Switzerland.
For a more detailed overview, check out the full article.
Some Swiss tv channels are blocked outside of Switzerland, while others are not. If you want to watch any channel of your choice, you’ll just need to connect to a Swiss VPN server. With one of the best VPNs, like ExpressVPN, you’ll have access to hundreds of Swiss VPN servers.
There’s no law against downloading, installing, and using VPN software in Switzerland. That said, you’re not allowed to access international gambling sites in the country. Using a VPN to access this kind of site could be risky. Check out our article on the legality of VPNs for more information.