You can use an Australian VPN server to get an Australian IP address. Once you have an Australian IP, you’ll be able to enjoy Australian Freeview and other channels like TenPlay online. If you’re traveling away from the country temporarily, you can also unblock other Aussie websites in just a few short steps:
- Choose a VPN, like our best VPN for an Australian IP, ExpressVPN.
- Download your chosen VPN and install the VPN client.
- Choose an Australian VPN server.
- Change your IP address by clicking the connect button to start the connection.
- Now, you’ve got an Australian IP and can access previously-blocked Australian websites.
Traveling away from home and can’t access your Australian bank account overseas? Trying to find a way to watch Australian TV online? Unless you’re using a VPN (Virtual Private Network), you won’t be able to access Australian websites that implement geo-blocking restrictions. Streaming websites, TV networks, banks, and other platforms often use these geographical restrictions to stop foreign visitors from using their services.
Thankfully, VPNs give us a way to bypass geo-blocking restrictions, allowing unrestricted access to Australian websites. By using a VPN to get an Australian IP address, your internet location will be set to Australian; you’ll be able to watch Australian TV online or access TV networks as if you were accessing them from within the country. You’ll also enjoy greater privacy and security while browsing the web or downloading.
How to Get an Australian IP address from Anywhere (for Free)
Geographical restrictions are designed to keep visitors out that are not present within defined geographical limits by checking a visitor’s IP address. This number, which is typically assigned automatically by your ISP (internet service provider), gives away what country you’re browsing from. So, if you’re trying to access Australian websites from abroad, you could find yourself locked out.
However, when you change your IP address using a VPN, suddenly, you’ve got your own digital passport. Change your IP to an Australian IP, and you’ll be able to access Australian websites that were previously blocked. This method works regardless of whether you’re an Australian resident vacationing abroad or a resident of another country who wants to watch Australian streaming services online.
Get an Australian IP from anywhere (for free): Step-by-step guide
Getting an Australian IP is easy. Follow the steps below, and you’ll be connected in no time:
- First, you need to choose a VPN. To save you the legwork, our best VPN for Australia is ExpressVPN. It is one of the fastest and most secure premium VPNs.
- Download ExpressVPN, or another provider’s client, and install it onto your computer. Most premium VPNs offer a mobile app too.
- Run the client once it has installed, and create a VPN account to sign in.
- Choose an Australian VPN server and click connect, or let ExpressVPN find the fastest server for you.
- That’s it! Now, you’ll be browsing with an Australian IP address and much greater online security.
Which VPN to Use? Choosing a Free or Paid VPN for an Australian IP
Free VPNs are tempting. After all, why pay for something that’s available for free? Well, premium VPNs offer a better service, comprehensive customer support, additional configuration options, and an all-round faster, more reliable connection. If you’re wondering what the disadvantages of a free VPN are, we’ve highlighted them below.
- Data logging: Some free VPNs keep logs of your browsing activity, even when they say that they won’t! What’s the point in using a VPN when the VPN provider is recording your online activities? Fortunately, premium VPNs are much more serious about privacy. Take ExpressVPN and NordVPN for example; they guarantee that your browsing habits won’t be stored.
- Data limitations: If you’re streaming from abroad or torrenting, you’ll need a lot of data. Free VPNs typically have fairly low data caps. Even with the best free VPNs, you probably won’t have enough data to watch an entire movie before hitting the cap. However, premium providers like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and CyberGhost are VPNs without data limits.
- Connection speeds: With a Free VPN, you’re not going to get the fastest or most reliable connections. Take Hide.me for example, one of our best free VPNs. While you can achieve fasts that compete with NordVPN, the free plan offers just 3 server locations and far fewer servers. Consider that you’ll also be competing with other users for the same servers, and it’s easy to see why your speed can suffer.
So, if you want to enjoy unrestricted access to Australian websites overseas, your best bet is to choose a premium VPN provider. Our best VPN for Australia right now is ExpressVPN thanks to its excellent speed and many Australian VPN servers.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
Is Using a VPN to Get an Australian IP Address Safe?
If you use the internet without a VPN, you’re actually more exposed to certain risks. Your ISP can track every website you visit and see what you download. Other people on the internet could see your IP address and work out roughly where you’re located. In some rare cases, they could even use it to target vulnerabilities on your computer or access personal information sent through your Wi-Fi network.
By using a VPN to get an Australian IP address, you’ll enjoy greater security and anonymity online. When you change your IP address and browse with encrypted data, you make it less likely that your personal information will be exposed to third parties. We explain more about how a VPN protects you in another article on how a VPN works.
The Best VPN for an Australian IP Address
Choose one of the best VPN providers, and you’ll easily find a VPN server in Australia. That said, Australia is a big place, so you ideally want a provider that offers multiple VPN servers spread across the country. We’ve taken this and more into account when choosing our best VPN for an Australian IP. You can also read our best VPNs of 2021 article for a more general overview of all the best VPNs.
1. ExpressVPN: VPN servers in many Australian cities
- The best VPN for international online freedom – VPN servers in 94 countries
- 100+ VPN servers in various Australian cities
- Offers Australian IP addresses without any data logging
- Military 256-bit AES encryption keeps your data secure from prying eyes
- Get a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers both iOS/Android applications
- ExpressVPN will locate the fastest Australian VPN server for you
ExpressVPN is the winner among all the options and clearly the best VPN to get an Australian IP address. Not only is ExpressVPN extremely fast, but the company also offers VPN servers in almost 100 countries across the globe. Specifically, you’ll get access to over 100 VPN servers in Australia. No more fighting for bandwidth with other users and suffering from slow connection speeds!
For privacy and security, ExpressVPN is also a top choice. ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two of the only verified, strictly no-log VPNs; this means they won’t store your browsing activities. What’s more, they use top-of-the-line, military-grade AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption. New users get 30-days to change their minds, so you’ve nothing to lose.
2. NordVPN: A wide selection of Australian VPN servers
- More than 190 VPN servers (5,200+ worldwide)
- VPN server locations in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, and Adelaide
- 3 months for free for new users of NordVPN
- Up to 600Mbps or 800Mbps in certain scenarios
- The same 256-bit encryption as ExpressVPN
NordVPN offers nearly 200 VPN servers in Australia. What’s more, they’re spread across the country, so you can connect to the closest VPN server for a potentially better ping and connection. With the same subscription, you can also utilize NordVPN’s 5,200+ servers across the globe. And if you’re not happy, you get 3 months for free with new subscriptions.
NordVPN offers speeds of up to 600Mbps, which is more than enough for torrenting or streaming Australian TV online. Users have also reported up to 800Mbps in certain scenarios. Even with these speeds, you aren’t sacrificing your data security. NordVPN uses government-standard, 256-bit AES encryption and promises not to log your browsing activities.
3. Surfshark: The best Australian VPN for streaming
- More than 69 VPN servers in Australia
- VPN servers in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide
- A lengthier money-back guarantee than ExpressVPN – 45 days
- Doesn’t log your browsing habits
- Automatically selects the fastest Australian VPN server
Surfshark is a premium VPN provider that offers over 69 VPN servers in Australia. Like NordVPN, these are spread across five major cities, which means you can choose the fastest server that’s closest to you. That said, Surfshark will automatically find the fastest VPN server on your behalf.
Why Should I Use a VPN to get an IP Address in Australia?
A VPN can help you get an IP address for pretty much anywhere in the world. However, if you want to watch Australian TV online or access your Australian accounts, you’ll need an Australian IP address. Without a VPN, you’ll be blocked from a wide range of Australian websites based on your international IP address.
When you change your IP address to an Australian IP, you’ll unlock access to a wide range of TV shows that were previously inaccessible, including:
- Australian Freeview, drawing together some of the most popular TV channels in Aussie.
- Nine Wide World of Sports, the place to watch Australian sports and catch events like the Australian Open.
- TenPlay, home to the most popular TV shows airing in Australia, such as Neighbors or MasterChef Australia.
It’s also worth knowing that Australian ISPs are legally required to maintain logs of their users’ metadata. What’s more, data such as your IP address, the websites you visit, and your location is all excluded from the country’s definition of ‘personal information’. A recent ruling by the Federal Court means it’s more important than ever to get an Australian IP if you want to protect your data within the country.
What Should I Look For in an Australian VPN Provider?
Premium VPN providers share a lot of the best features, like 256-bit AES encryption and no-logging policies. When you’re looking to get an Australian IP, you should pay attention to these features:
- VPNs that can unblock Australian websites. Not every VPN will work for every country, though the best VPNs typically support most countries worldwide. ExpressVPN has some of the best choice of VPNs, with over 90 countries supported, including Australia.
- A large number of VPN servers in Australia. This helped us to choose our best VPN for Australia, as our top three choices above all have a decent number of VPN servers on the continent. If user demand grows during peak hours, you’re less likely to suffer from a slower connection.
- The fastest Australian VPN server. Australia is a big country! You could be much closer to a VPN server in Sydney than you are to a VPN server in Perth for example, as they’re on opposite coastlines. Many VPN providers will automatically look for the fastest VPN server in your location.
- Additional VPN security features. Many VPNs use a kill switch, which will cut your connection if the VPN drops. This stops your IP from being unexpectedly leaked if your VPN connection temporarily cuts out.
To access geo-blocked websites in Australia, you’ll need to get an Australian IP from a VPN service. This will let you unblock streaming services like Netflix, access your bank account overseas, and watch TenPlay or Nine Wide World of Sports abroad. While free VPNs do work, you’ll face drawbacks like slower connections, data caps, and potentially having your data logged. That’s why we recommend premium providers, such as ExpressVPN, the best VPN for Australia.
If you want to watch Australian TV online from abroad, you’ll need to change your IP address. By getting an Australian IP, you’ll be able to bypass geo-blocks and access blocked Australian websites. For more information, see our FAQ below.
You can change your IP address to an Australian IP address in a few simple steps:
- Find a VPN provider offering Australian VPN servers, like ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN client and install it on your computer.
- Sign into your account or create one if you didn’t already do so.
- Locate an Australian VPN server.
- Start your VPN connection to get an Australian IP address.
For a full guide and more information on VPNs, read our full article on how to get an Australian IP address.
The best Australian VPN at the moment is ExpressVPN. It’s ideal for Australian residents temporarily abroad or anyone who wants to watch Australian TV online. Connections are fast and reliable, and their no-logging policy will better protect your personal data following recent privacy law changes in Australia. You can also see our best VPNs of 2021 article for more information on premium VPN services.
If you get an Australian IP address, you’ll be able to watch The Australian Open via Nine Wide World of Sports. All you’ll need to do is download a reliable VPN provider like ExpressVPN. Once you change your IP address to an Australian IP, you’ll be able to watch The Australian Open from anywhere in the world. You can also watch other tennis matches online from anywhere with a VPN.