Getting a UK IP address is easy. You’ll just need a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to connect to a UK VPN server. Here’s a quick step-by-step guide:
- Choose a VPN provider like ExpressVPN, our best VPN for a UK IP, then start a subscription.
- Download the VPN’s software client and install it, or use the mobile application for iOS or Android.
- Run the VPN software and log in with the account you created.
- Use the VPN software to find a VPN server in the UK.
- Connect to the UK VPN server to encrypt your connection and change your IP address!
Check your IP address with our handy tool if you want to make sure you’ve got a UK IP. Now, you should be able to access UK streaming services from abroad, including BBC iPlayer, and BritBox.
If you want to access blocked UK websites, you’re going to need to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). With a VPN, you change your IP address, which means you’ll be able to get around geographical restrictions (geoblocks) used by UK websites. This includes being able to unblock UK Netflix from overseas, and watch BBC iPlayer and other UK TV channels from abroad.
When you change your IP address, you’ll also be hiding your footsteps online. It’ll be much harder for hackers or companies like your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see what you browse or download online, as you hide your real IP address. Overall, you’ll enjoy far more online freedom and security by connecting to a UK VPN server.
How to Get a UK IP Address from Anywhere
All you’ll need to get a UK IP address is a VPN (Virtual Private Network). When you connect to a VPN, you create a secure connection to the internet, which encrypts your data traffic. In addition to making you more anonymous, your real location and IP address will be masked. For all intents and purposes, websites will think you’re browsing from the location where your VPN server is based.
So, if you connect to a VPN server in the United Kingdom, websites will think you’re located in the UK. This means you can bypass UK geoblocks to watch UK TV online or access UK bank accounts from abroad. The best part is that the best VPNs have servers worldwide! You can get a US IP address and unblock American Netflix or Hulu for example, or get an IP address in Germany or even Japan!
How to get a UK IP: A step-by-step guide
- Choose a VPN provider. To get a UK IP address, we recommend using ExpressVPN. It’s one of the fastest VPNs available, and you can choose from VPN server locations in 94 countries.
- Download the VPN software and purchase a subscription. When your download is complete, install the software. You can also choose to download the VPN’s mobile application.
- Run the VPN software and log in with your newly created account.
- Select a UK server by using the drop-down menu or search tool.
- Connect to the server to change your IP address to a UK IP address!
Free vs. Paid VPNs
Not sure whether to use a free VPN or a paid VPN service? To watch UK TV online or stream from UK platforms, you’re going to want to choose a paid VPN service. Free VPNs have restrictions that will make it almost impossible to enjoy or even finish watching UK TV shows and movies. Below, we’ve highlighted some of the disadvantages of free VPN services:
- Almost all free VPN services come with limits on how much data you can use. If you want to access your UK bank account from abroad or save money online when shopping, it’s not so much of an issue. However, for watching UK TV online or streaming BBC iPlayer for example, you won’t get very far with a free VPN. Premium VPNs, on the other hand, give you unlimited bandwidth.
- Free VPN services also tend to be slower than subscription-based providers. While ExpressVPN and NordVPN can often hit 600-800Mbps, free VPNs are slower. Again, for streaming UK shows online, this is a problem, as you’ll often be left staring at a buffering wheel.
- Most free VPN services have a very limited selection of servers, and some don’t even offer UK IP addresses. For example, PrivadoVPN supports nine free locations, Hide.me supports five, and ProtonVPN has just three free locations. However, ExpressVPN has VPN servers in more than 90 countries worldwide!
- Some free VPNs log your data and may even resell it to marketing agencies. When you consider that one of the biggest advantages of a VPN is the privacy that it gives you, this is more than counterproductive. The best VPNs like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark won’t log your data.
If you do decide to try out some free services before creating a paid subscription, you should know which free VPNs are safe. For more information, check out our list of the best free VPNs. Otherwise, you can get a 30-day money-back guarantee on ExpressVPN using the link below!
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
Is Using a VPN to Get a UK IP Safe?
You needn’t worry about the safety of VPNs as long as you choose a reliable provider. Actually, using a VPN to access the internet gives you greater protection against hackers, some kinds of malware, and other online dangers. You can read more about how a VPN works to understand in-depth how this software improves your online security. Alternatively, check out our condensed list of the most important points below:
- A VPN connection changes your IP address. This isn’t purely for the benefit of accessing blocked websites; it also cloaks your identity and your location. An IP address is enough for hackers, governments, and websites to determine your location. Since you subscribe to a provider for your internet connection, that provider can tie your IP and browsing history to your real name. With a VPN and a cloaked IP, you’ll be much safer from these intrusions on your privacy.
- A VPN also encrypts your data, and the best VPNs use the same kind of encryption employed by government agencies and militaries around the world. Anything you type, send, or upload to the internet will be encrypted and far harder for malicious third parties to get their hands on.
- With a VPN, downloads are safer and more anonymous too. You shouldn’t really torrent without a VPN connection, as other people in your P2P (peer-to-peer) network can see your IP. So, if you aren’t using a VPN, you’ll be advertising your true IP to a whole group of strangers on the internet.
Of course, no software can replace common sense, and you should still exercise caution when you’re surfing the net. For example, don’t give your personal or financial information to unrecognized companies, and make sure you don’t fall prey to phishing emails or scams.
Now, we’re going to look at the best VPNs for a UK IP address. We’ve listed three providers below to make the choice a little easier for you.
The Best VPN for a UK IP Address
Many people are looking to get a UK IP address. The country has a lot of exclusive streaming services like BBC iPlayer. So, there’s a lot of VPN providers that offer UK servers. Here’s our pick of the three best VPNs for a UK IP address:
1. ExpressVPN: The best VPN for a UK IP
- ExpressVPN has 164 server locations across the world
- Choose from VPN servers in 94 countries
- Get a UK IP address with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Verified no-logging policy
- Built-in kill switch
- Can automatically find the fastest UK VPN server for you
- Uses powerful 256-bit AES encryption
ExpressVPN is our best VPN for a UK IP address thanks to its lightning-fast speeds (600-800Mbps) and a massive network of servers. You can download ExpressVPN for Windows, Mac, and Linux, or you can use the mobile application for Android or iOS. The user interface across both clients is slick and easy to use, even for first-timers. Plus, you’ll have access to round-the-clock customer service should you need it.
One of the real benefits of ExpressVPN, besides its speed and reliability, is the provider’s network of VPN servers. You can choose from over 160 server locations in 94 countries, which makes it second only to CyberGhost in worldwide coverage. This makes ExpressVPN perfect for unblocking Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming services across the world. Why stop at getting a UK IP address when you can tour the world, digitally?
ExpressVPN’s security is tight too, with a built-in kill switch and 256-bit AES encryption — the same standard used by many governments around the globe. Once you get familiar with the software, you can even use the split tunneling feature to choose which data goes through your VPN. While ExpressVPN isn’t the cheapest VPN provider around, it’s definitely our favorite VPN right now.
2. NordVPN: A VPN with advanced security features
- Supports up to six devices simultaneously
- Offers over 440 VPN servers in the UK
- One of the fastest VPNs available right now
- Get a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Has a verified “no logs” policy
- 256-bit AES encryption and DNS leak protection
NordVPN has a huge network of 440 VPN servers in the UK and more than 5,100 VPN servers in 80 locations worldwide. NordVPN is one of the fastest VPNs alongside ExpressVPN. The provider promises 673+Mbps in some scenarios, and speeds have reached up to 800Mbps in our tests. Choose from over 5,100 VPN servers worldwide, spread across 80 countries. Even if that’s fewer countries than ExpressVPN supports, it still allows you plenty of choice.
Fans of online security will be especially pleased with NordVPN’s advanced security options, which make it one of the best VPNs for security. You get a kill switch and 256-bit AES encryption, as well as VPN servers with a double VPN connection and special P2P, torrent, and Tor over VPN servers. NordVPN also supports NordLynx, a WireGuard-based protocol developed in-house that promises the greatest levels of security.
3. Surfshark: Get a cheap UK IP address
- Ranks well in connection speed tests
- Surfshark can unblock Netflix in the UK
- Offers protection against DNS leaks
- Surfshark promises not to log your data
- Powerful 256-bit AES encryption
- Advanced NoBorders mode looks for the best VPN servers for high-restriction countries
Surfshark is one of the newer VPNs on the market, which is probably why it’s one of the best cheap VPNs there is. It’s a more affordable option than our best VPN for a UK IP, ExpressVPN. However, this VPN doesn’t skimp on features. One advanced feature is their NoBorders mode, which is perfect for users located in countries with stringent internet restrictions. You also get the industry-standard 256-bit AES encryption and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks.
Connection speeds aren’t quite as fast as ExpressVPN and NordVPN, but they’re still good. You’ll easily be able to stream or watch TV online without issues. What’s more, Surfshark is one of the VPNs that work well with Netflix and other streaming platforms. You can start by downloading the desktop client or mobile application.
Get a UK IP address with a proxy server
Another way to get a UK IP address is by using a proxy server. You might even be able to find a free proxy server. These are essentially computers that act as a relay between your device and the internet. It can hide your IP address and conceal your real identity. Because of this, it can help you to bypass geoblocks in the UK and other countries. However, if you want true online anonymity, we recommend using a VPN. Proxy servers aren’t entirely secure, and they don’t guarantee online anonymity.
Why Get a UK IP Address?
If you have bank accounts in the UK and need to access them abroad, you could use a VPN. Most banks will flag or freeze accounts when unusual activity is detected, and a foreign IP address could be enough to lock your account. However, you might also want a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer from abroad or unblock TVPlayer. Even if you subscribe to these services in the UK, you won’t be able to access them on vacation unless you change your IP address to a United Kingdom IP address.
Fortunately, you can easily get a UK IP address in just a few minutes. Thanks to the best VPNs offering money-back trial periods, you can test out a VPN while on holiday and still have time to consider your needs. Once you get a UK IP address, you’ll be able to watch UK TV from abroad too – here are just a few of the services that are only available to United Kingdom IP addresses:
What Should I Look For in a VPN for a UK IP?
How do you choose a VPN? You need to know what you’re looking for, as some VPN providers may be less reliable or trustworthy. Check out our tips for picking the best VPN providers below:
- It goes without saying that you’ll need to find a VPN provider that offers VPN servers in the United Kingdom. As this is a popular country for getting a foreign IP, it’s not hard to find providers that offer this service. However, this is something you should verify before forking out for a subscription. ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and NordVPN all have UK VPN servers.
- If you want to stream UK TV online or unblock UK Netflix, all of the above providers should be fine. However, if you’re considering others, make sure you check whether they’re having teething issues with unblocking Netflix or other streaming platforms. Some streaming services are fighting back against VPN providers by blocking their servers.
- You should check what kind of speed you’ll get with a VPN, particularly if you want to watch UK TV online. Most paid-for VPN services will be suited to streaming, but some free VPNs might be too slow or have low data limits.
- You should also be careful not to sign up for a VPN provider that collects data on the websites that you visit. ExpressVPN and NordVPN are verified no-logs VPNs, and Surfshark promises not to collect data either. The same can’t be said about some of the free and even paid services out there.
Getting a UK IP address is easy; all you need to do is use a VPN to connect to a UK VPN server. When you connect, your IP address changes and is replaced with the VPN server’s IP. This way, you get a UK IP, and you can unblock BBC iPlayer, or watch a range of other region-locked UK TV online. You can also switch to another IP address, such as a Mexican IP, if you want. With a VPN, you’ll also have greater anonymity and security online, and you can even save money with a VPN!
Got questions about how to get a UK IP address and unblock UK websites? Check out our list of frequently asked questions below.
- Pick a VPN provider like ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN is our best VPN for a UK IP.
- Download the VPN software and install it on your computer. Alternatively, download the mobile app.
- Run the software and create an account or log in if you already did so.
- Use the software to choose a VPN server in the UK.
- Connect to the VPN server to change your IP address.
For a more in-depth guide, check out our full article on how to get a UK IP address.
You can’t get a UK ISP (Internet Service Provider) from abroad, as UK internet subscriptions are only available to UK residents. However, you can get a UK IP address from abroad – these are two different things. A UK IP address will make it appear as if you’re in the UK even if you’re not. To get a UK IP, you’ll need to install a VPN software client, find a VPN server in the United Kingdom, and connect to the server.
Pack your bags and get ready to relocate to the UK! We jest, but using a VPN is truly the easiest way to get a UK IP address. You could in theory use remote access software like TeamViewer to connect to a computer located in the UK. However, finding such a device would be a real challenge. Alternatively, you could use a proxy server; however, they’re less secure than a VPN and can’t guarantee anonymity.