Many people use Windows computers on a daily basis to browse the internet, watch movies and take care of personal affairs. However, going online unprotected can be very dangerous. It’s better to use a VPN to ensure your online privacy, security and freedom. Here are the three best VPNs to use on Windows:
- ExpressVPN: the best VPN with the highest speed
- NordVPN: the best VPN for safely unblocking content
- CyberGhost the most user-friendly VPN
For users who’ve never tried a VPN before, we recommend CyberGhost. This VPN is very easy to install and incredibly user-friendly.
Online safety and privacy are becoming increasingly important. Marketeers and malicious hackers are constantly trying to get their hands on your personal information. To make sure they don’t succeed, you can use a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
A VPN protects your online privacy and security, but also helps bypass online geographical restrictions. This is very useful in many cases, for example when you’re on holiday and wish to watch your usual local streams. Many employers also use VPNs to give their employees the opportunity to safely work from home.
If you’re considering using a VPN on your Windows computer, you may be wondering which VPN to choose. The range of VPN providers on offer is huge, making it difficult to determine which VPN provider would be most suitable for you. That’s why we’ve listed our top 3 best VPNs for Windows devices right here.
Best VPNs for Windows: Our Recommendations
Most VPNs work with software that performs well on Windows devices. For our top 3, however, we have looked beyond matters of compatibility. A good VPN for Windows should also be user-friendly, fast and secure, after all. If a VPN was capable of unblocking websites and services, we also took that into consideration. Eventually we found the very best options for Windows, which are listed below.
1. ExpressVPN: fast and secure connections
If you ask us, ExpressVPN is definitely the best VPN for Windows. This VPN provider excels in terms of speed, security and stability. ExpressVPN offers fast connections that will hardly slow down your internet – if they slow it down at all. Moreover, ExpressVPN’s software works very well with Windows: your connection will be secure with just one click. The program runs in the background, so you’ll barely notice it while it’s activated.
ExpressVPN has excellent customer service and offers plug-ins for multiple browsers. This makes this VPN very pleasant to use, also on Windows devices. Although ExpressVPN is a fairly pricey option, it does offer complete protection and numerous unblocking benefits, including access to the American Netflix. Would you like to try out ExpressVPN’s service? Click the button in the banner below to go straight to their website. Would you prefer a cheaper option? Perhaps our numbers 2 and 3 will be more to your liking.
- Super-fast and simple VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
2. NordVPN: secure with many options for unblocking
Another good option for Windows is NordVPN. Although this VPN is generally slightly slower than ExpressVPN, NordVPN offers excellent security. Moreover, its connection speeds are still absolutely fine. Just like ExpressVPN, NordVPN offers excellent software for Windows. Its pleasant interface will make working with Nord easy and even enjoyable.
If you’re looking for a VPN to watch the American Netflix or unblock other online content, NordVPN is the right choice. This provider has multiple servers that work with Netflix. Moreover, NordVPN isn’t very expensive. Like ExpressVPN, they offer a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can try their service before committing to a lengthier subscription.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
3. CyberGhost: simple but effective VPN
Are you looking for a VPN that’s easy to work with? Then we recommend CyberGhost. This service has slowly become one of the best options on the market. Whereas looking for exactly the right server from a list of numbers isn’t unusual with NordVPN, CyberGhost has already listed all the most optimized servers for torrenting, Netflix, and other purposes for you. Using the CyberGhost software for Windows, you’ll only have to click a server from one of the specialized tabs, and you’ll be connected straight away.
This user-friendliness doesn’t come at the expense of CyberGhost’s security or speed, either. Those are excellent, too. This VPN is very cheap and especially useful for beginning VPN users. Since the software is so clear and easy to use, you won’t need a lot of experience to be able to work with CyberGhost.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
What to Look For When Choosing a VPN for Windows
If you’re looking for a decent VPN for your Windows device, it’s important to identify exactly what you want to use the service for. What do you want out of your VPN? Here are a few factors you may want to consider:
- Security: if you want guaranteed security and privacy, choose a VPN with strong encryption and a “no logs” policy.
- Speed: do you stream a lot? Then it’s best to pick a fast VPN that doesn’t slow down your connection.
- Ease of use: if you are new to the world of VPNs, it might be best to start with a simple but well-functioning VPN to get used to it.
- Price/quality: a cheap VPN sounds great, but always make sure the service still offers decent quality, so you don’t compromise your online safety for the sake of a couple of dollars.
- Server locations: a VPN’s server network determines which parts of the internet you can access. If you want to watch German television abroad, for example, the VPN you choose needs to have German servers.
Any VPN you might choose, will have its own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to these different aspects. We’ve given our own evaluation of many VPN providers in our separate detailed reviews already. Moreover, we’ve taken the factors above into strong consideration while assessing and creating our top 3 of best VPNs for Windows. If you’re looking for the perfect VPN, think carefully about which elements are important to you and use that to choose a VPN that suits you. Our top 3 can help you with this.
Free versus paid VPNs
In your search for the perfect VPN, you’ll probably come across free options. While free VPNs can seem like a very good choice, they are far from perfect. First of all, many free VPNs don’t provide safety and anonymity at all. They might keep logs on your activities, sell your personal information, or install malware, such as a computer virus, on your device.
Secondly, many free VPNs have a data or speed limit. A data limit means you’ll only be able to use the VPN for a set number of MBs, so only part of your internet traffic will be protected. Speed limits can dramatically lower your internet speed.
If you don’t mind working with these limits, we recommend any of the services in our top 5 of best free VPNs. If you use one of these, you can be sure they won’t compromise your online security.
Would you prefer to browse the internet without any restrictions and with all the options offered by a premium VPN? Then you can always consider a relatively cheap, good VPN. An example of this is the previously mentioned service CyberGhost.
Why a VPN for Windows?
There are several reasons why Windows users might choose to get a VPN. If you want to know about all the advantages in more detail, you can read our full article about the benefits of a VPN connection. We’ll briefly explain the three biggest benefits here.
- Increased online security: VPNs encrypt your online data so it can’t be read and abused by others. There are many parties who’d like to see what you do online: from websites, companies and governments to malicious hackers. Without protection, the risk of strangers gaining access to your personal information is very big, especially when your Windows device often uses public Wi-Fi networks. A VPN protects you and keeps your information safe.
- Increased online privacy: a VPN anonymizes your IP address and ensures your internet traffic can’t be traced back to you. As a result, you’ll be able to enjoy a higher level of online privacy. You can, for example, safely and anonymously download torrents, although we strongly recommend you adhere to your local laws when downloading to avoid download fines.
- Access to more streams and websites: not all parts of the internet are accessible worldwide. Some countries engage in internet censorship by blocking certain social media and news websites. Some services, such as Hulu, are only available in specific areas. A VPN removes these restrictions. A VPN could allow you to access YouTube from China or watch the American version of Netflix from Europe.
Setting Up a VPN on Windows
Setting up a VPN on Windows is quite easy. There are two different ways to do this: via your VPN’s software or via your Windows settings. If you’d like all your devices to be protected in one go, it’s also possible to set up a VPN on your router.
Setting up via VPN software
Many VPNs provide software that you can easily download from their website. Once you’ve installed this software, all you have to do is log in with your account and activate the VPN. You can install a VPN on Windows following these steps:
Do you need a little more help when setting up your VPN connection? Check out our detailed review page and click on your chosen provider. The review will help you through the installation process step-by-step.
Setup within Windows
Some VPNs don’t offer accompanying software. If your boss has set up a VPN network in the office so employees are able to work from home, for instance, you’ll likely have to set up this connection manually. If your VPN does offer software but you prefer not to download this onto your computer, you can also choose to use this method. To make this work, you’ll have to adjust your network settings:
- Make sure you have the correct login details. This can be done by purchasing a VPN and creating an account. If you wish to use a corporate network, for example for working from home, you’ll have to ask the owner of the network (e.g. your boss) for the login details.
- Open the VPN settings in Windows. Go to “Settings”, then to “Network and Internet” and finally to “VPN”.
- Add a VPN connection by filling in the data from step 1.
- Activate the VPN by clicking and connecting to it. The screenshot below indicates what this might look like.
For more detailed information about setting up a VPN on Windows, please read our complete step-by-step plan right here.
Conclusion: the Best VPN for Windows
Using a VPN on your Windows computer will enhance your online experience. If you’d like a fast VPN with plenty of options, ExpressVPN might just be the right choice for you. If you prefer a VPN that is focused on online security and unblocking, then we’d recommend NordVPN. Finally, CyberGhost is the perfect option if you prefer a low-cost VPN that’s also very easy to use.
If these VPNs don’t quite fit your needs, you can check out our complete list of best VPNs on this page.
Do you have a question about Windows and VPNs? Click on one of the frequently asked questions below to read the corresponding answer.
ExpressVPN is currently the best VPN for Windows because it offers fast connections and has numerous options that’ll satisfy any VPN user. Your Windows computer will be well protected with Express. If you’d like to pick a VPN that’s more specific to your wishes, take a look at this top 3 of best VPNs for Windows.
There are several good free VPNs that work on Windows. However, these free versions often have speed or data limits. So you can’t use them to surf the internet completely freely. Would you prefer unlimited secure internet access? There are several fantastic paid VPNs on the market that are very cheap and work perfectly.
There are two different ways to set up a VPN on your Windows computer. First, you can install the VPN software and enable the connection this way. This is usually the easiest. The second way is to install the VPN via Windows. Go to your Windows settings and find the Network & Internet settings. Go to VPN and add a VPN connection. You’ll find a more detailed guide right here.
A VPN protects your internet connection and allows you to surf the web more securely, anonymously and freely. A VPN might allow you to easily access your work network from your Windows computer at home, for example. With the right VPN, you can even access streams and websites you wouldn’t otherwise have access to, such as the American version of Netflix.