There are several ways to install a VPN for your Smart TV. The easiest way is to install an Android app that is available in the Play Store library. However, this is only possible on an Android TV and not all providers have an app like that. Luckily, there are other ways of doing it. You can install your VPN on your router or create a virtual router on your PC or Mac that you can use as a hotspot. Below, you can read about all these options and follow an easy guide.
Do you already have a Smart TV and you want to find out why a VPN can be useful for you? Read our article on the use of a VPN in combination with a Smart TV.
Installing a VPN App on Your Smart TV (Only for Android TV)
A number of VPN providers are available in the library of Android TVs. This means that if you have an Android TV you can easily download a VPN app from your library. If this is the case you can follow these steps:
1. Look for the VPN provider in your app library.
2. Go to the app by your providers and download it.
3. Open the app and fill in your login data to log into your VPN account. If you do not yet have an account with the provider, you can go to the website of the provider to create one.
4. If you have filled in the login data you can activate the app and you are ready to start streaming. Depending on your provider you can change the settings and turn the VPN on and off.
5. Do not forget to turn the VPN on. In most cases this will be a matter of simply pressing one button. Only installing the app isn’t enough!
6. Optional: If you want to bypass geo-blocking you have to stream via a server in a different country. Most apps offer the option to change your virtual location. If you cannot figure out how to do this, you can contact your VPN provider.
Installing a VPN on Your Router
Installing a VPN on your router is very useful to protect all your devices at home in one go. To achieve this it is necessary to change the firmware on your router. This process is called flashing. Be certain to check if your router is suited to do this because not all routers are.
During this process you can damage your router irreparably. This is why it is important to follow the instructions precisely. You can read our full guide on how to install a VPN on your router to find out how to flash it.
Once you have installed the VPN on your router you can let your Smart TV connect to it, just as it normally would. Once the connection is established your Smart TV is protected by the VPN.
Install a VPN on Your Router:
1. Check if your router is suitable for flashing.
2. Change the firmware on your router and install a VPN.
3. Connect your Smart TV to the flashed router. This works the same as connecting to any other Wi-Fi network.
Installing a VPN on a Virtual Router on Your PC or Mac
If your router isn’t suitable for flashing or you don’t want to, you can create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac and set that up as a virtual router with a VPN connection. You can then connect your Smart TV to the internet via the hotspot on your PC or Mac. Installing a VPN on your PC or Mac differs depending on the device and operating system. Look for a provider that matches well with your devices and it shouldn’t be too difficult. Below you find a guide that will help you install a VPN on your virtual router.
Installing a VPN on a virtual router:
1. Install a VPN on your PC or Mac. Most VPN providers have an easy installation wizard to help you install their software on your device.
2. Create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your PC or Mac. How you can do this depends on your device. If you cannot figure out how to do this you can go to the website of the producer of your device.
3. Connect your Smart TV to the VPN network of your PC or Mac.
Casting from a Different Device
With a Smart TV it is also possible to cast content from another device to the Smart TV. When you do this you must consider a few things. You will always need your other device nearby and if you switch between devices like your smartphone and tablet, you need to install a VPN on both of them. Moreover, the device you cast with will be protected with the VPN but your Smart TV will not be protected. You only use the Smart TV as an external screen for your other device.
The Best VPN for My Smart TV
If you do not have a subscription with a VPN provider yet it can be useful to go for a VPN that works well in combination with your Smart TV. A stable and speedy connection is essential when you want to stream movies, series, or music. Go for a VPN provider that fits your needs perfectly. If you would like to watch geo-blocked content make sure your provider always has servers you can use for this purpose. We have tested several providers and below are three solid providers that work well in combination with your Smart TV.
1. ExpressVPN for Smart TVs
ExpressVPN works very well in combination with Smart TVs. It has an user-friendly app for Android TV and is easy to install on any of your devices. With its large offer of servers and 256-bit encryption it is the perfect way to stream safely, freely, and completely anonymous. Because of their great quality they are one of the more expensive providers but with the link below you can get a nice discount. Read more about this provider in our full ExpressVPN review.
- Super fast and simple VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading and streaming (i.a. Netflix)
- 2000+ servers in 94 countries
2. GOOSE VPN for Smart TVs
GOOSE VPN is a good Dutch provider with an easy app for Android TV. Because they are a young provider they have less server locations than most big providers. However, it is still enough for most people and the servers that they offer provide you with a fast and stable connection. If you would like to know more about this provider, take a look at our review of GOOSE VPN.
- Really quick connection
- Easy to use on all devices
3. VyprVPN for Smart TVs
VyprVPN is also a good provider to use in combination with your Smart TV. With access to a large amount of servers and an easy Android TV app, bypassing geographic restrictions won’t be a problem. They offer great encryption which ensures that streaming services like Netflix won’t know you are using a VPN. Via the link down here, you will get 3 months for free!
- Quick servers for a good price
- Big server network
- Special "Chameleon" technology to protect your data
When you have an Android TV, installing a VPN will be very easy because of the offer of VPN apps in the Play Store. In other cases you will have to install your VPN on your router or virtual router. This can be slightly more difficult but you can find out how to do it in our guide. It is definitely worth doing because all your streaming will be secure and anonymous. Moreover, you will get access to more content. All in all, a VPN is the perfect match with a Smart TV.