Canada has the third-biggest Netflix library in the world after Japan and the U.S. If you want to watch Canadian Netflix or access any other blocked Canadian websites when you’re not in Canada, you’ll need a VPN with a Canada IP. Here’s how:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider. ExpressVPN is our preferred provider and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download ExpressVPN (or another provider’s software) and install the VPN.
- Sign into the software using the account you created in step 1.
- Choose a server located in Canada.
- Hit the connect button to start your session, and experience the internet as if you were in Canada.
If you find yourself unable to access Canadian websites, your IP address is likely to blame. When you’re outside of Canada, you’ll be blocked by a range of streaming services, online TV channels, and other websites. You’re not alone: blocking overseas visitors is a common practice around the world.
Luckily, it’s very easy to get a Canada IP address so you can access the internet as if you were in Canada. Perhaps you’re wondering how to watch Canadian TV online, or maybe you’re trying to find out how to get Canadian Netflix from overseas. Whatever your reasons, we’ll show you how to get a Canadian IP address using a VPN. We’ve also highlighted the best VPNs to make things easy for you.
How to Get a Canada IP address from Anywhere in the World
When you try to watch CTV online or access Canadian streams outside of Canada, you’ll run into trouble. Unless you’re in Canada, you won’t be able to access either of these streams, even if you already have a subscription. Streaming sites and broadcasters use restrictions (commonly called geographical blocks, or “geoblocks”) to prevent overseas visitors, as they often don’t have the broadcasting rights to show content to foreign audiences.
Websites use your IP address to get a sense of your location. This number is assigned automatically by your network, and it shows what country you’re browsing from. However, your IP address can be changed by using a VPN. When you connect to a VPN, your internet traffic is routed through a VPN server in the country of your choice, changing your IP in the process. Choose a Canadian VPN server, and boom – suddenly, you’ll have a Canadian IP address and you’ll be in Canada, as far as the website can tell. For an in-depth look at how a VPN works, check out our full article.
With a Canada IP, you’ll be able to access Canadian websites without encountering geoblocks. We’ve listed step-by-step instructions below, which will show you how to get a IP address.
Step-by-step guide: Get a Canadian IP from anywhere with a VPN
Follow the steps below to quickly and easily get yourself a Canada IP address:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider. ExpressVPN is our preferred provider, as it’s the best VPN to get a Canadian IP address. With this VPN, you can unblock Netflix, HULU, and HBO in one go. You’ll also benefit from a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you only need a VPN temporarily or change your mind. Alternatively, check out our recommendation of the best VPNs further down in this article for an alternative.
- Download ExpressVPN onto the device you want to use to access blocked websites in Canada. Bear in mind that ExpressVPN lets you connect up to five devices on one subscription. This means you can use it on your laptop, smartphone, and, for example, your Smart TV at the same time.
- Install and run the VPN software. Make sure you’re signed into your account so you can use all of the available features.
- Choose a VPN server in Canada and then hit the connect button.
That’s all! Now, you’ll have a Canada IP address, and websites will think you’re located in Canada. Those pesky geoblocks will no longer be an obstacle.
How to Choose a VPN: Free VPN vs. Paid VPN
There are several decent free VPN providers out there that you can use without spending any money. However, when it comes to finding a free VPN that’ll give you a Canadian IP address, you might have a hard time. Below, we’ll discuss some of the disadvantages of a free VPN.
- You might not find a Canadian server. Free VPNs tend to have fewer servers than premium providers. These servers also tend to be present in fewer countries, and Canada is often missing from their server list. There are free VPNs with Canadian servers out there, but you’ll be limited in what you can do, as we’ll explain further in the next point.
- You’ll face limitations on data. Free VPNs usually have strict limits on how much data you can use. For example, Hide.me only gives you a 2GB monthly data gap, which you might blow through fairly quickly, especially when streaming. TunnelBear has 22 servers in Canada, but you’ll get even less data: just 500MB, which won’t even let you watch a whole movie!
- Your internet speed might decrease. Because free VPNs often offer a very small amount of servers that are used by a lot of people, your speed will likely suffer. Streams might take longer to load and gaming might not go as smoothly as before, either. On top of that, some free VPNs also work with speed limits, in which case you won’t be able to use the full extent of your internet’s speed even when servers aren’t crowded.
- Your data might be logged. While VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN truly store no logs concerning your activity, the same can’t always be said of free VPNs. Some free VPN providers resell your data to advertising companies and other third parties. When you’re trying to avoid being tracked online, that’s the last thing you want!
That said, if you’re keen on avoiding subscription charges and would like to try out a free VPN, check out our list of the best free VPNs, which includes hide.me and TunnelBear.
Alternatively, you can get free access to many of the best premium providers as well. By using their money-back guarantee, you’ll be able to enjoy a free VPN trial for a limited time.
Our favorite VPN provider for getting a Canada IP, ExpressVPN, offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to use it risk-free for almost a month. This is perfect for any Canadians who want access to their usual services while on holiday abroad.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
If you’re looking for a cheap VPN to subscribe to, so you can save money as you surf the Canadian version of the internet, we have some more VPN alternatives listed for you down below.
Is Using a VPN to Get a Canadian IP Address Safe?
If you’ve never used a VPN before, you might be slightly wary. Luckily, there’s no need to worry. Using a VPN to browse online is much safer and enjoyable than browsing without one. This is because:
- Your IP address is masked and no longer tied to your real identity, so you can be more anonymous online. No one will be able to see your real IP. Instead, they’ll only see your Canadian IP address.
- Your data is encrypted, giving your personal information more protection and helping you protect your privacy. This means that everything you do with your Canada IP address will remain much more anonymous and safe.
- You can download files safely and anonymously.
- You can bypass government censorship and get access to streams, news websites, social media, and other online pages from all over the world, including Canada.
In short, using a VPN comes with many more advantages than disadvantages. As long as you use a good, trustworthy VPN service, a VPN will make your online experience much safer. We’ve listed some of those respectable VPN services for you below so you can get started right away.
One final note is that no Canadian province has any laws barring the use of a VPN. You only have to be concerned about the legality of using VPN software, if you’re staying in a country that has made VPN use illegal. Luckily, there aren’t many countries that have done this. To put your mind at rest, check out our other article, “Is it legal to use a VPN?“.
The Best VPN for a Canadian IP Address
There are a lot of VPNs that offer IP addresses in Canada. However, not all of them are equally safe, secure, and fast. That’s why we’ve listed some of the best VPNs to get for a Canadian IP address here. If you’d like a general overview of the best providers, you can find all our top choices in the best VPNs of 2021 article.
1. ExpressVPN: Fast connections with a Canada IP
- Supports up to five different devices
- 3,000+ VPN servers all over the world
- Excellent customer support
- A 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for unblocking content in more than 90 countries, including Canada. With over 3,000 VPN servers, you won’t have any trouble finding a Canadian VPN server. These servers will also allow you to unblock streaming services like HULU and Netflix; perfect for when you’re vacationing abroad and need to access your subscriptions.
ExpressVPN is known for its fast and reliable VPN connections. Moreover, it works with high levels of 256-bit AES encryption, has an effective kill switch, and a trustworthy and proven “no log” policy, meaning you can count on ExpressVPN to make you more anonymous and safe on the internet. That’s why it’s our top choice for getting a Canadian IP address.
2. CyberGhost: Unblock Canadian content abroad
- Over 6,000 VPN servers in countries all over the world
- Unblock Canadian Netflix and other streaming sites
- Cheaper than ExpressVPN and a long 45-day money back guarantee
CyberGhost is a much cheaper, but great alternative to ExpressVPN when it comes to finding a Canadian IP address. One of the big advantages of CyberGhost is that it has dedicated servers for streaming. These will give you fast and reliable access to a range of content, including Netflix, HULU, and Amazon Prime. Whatever Canadian streaming content you want to unblock, CyberGhost will be able to do the job for you.
Although CyberGhost’s speeds and security aren’t as reliable and stable as those of ExpressVPN, you’ll hardly notice this in practice. They still have most of the necessary features in place, like a kill switch and a strict no logs policy. On top of that, CyberGhost is one of the VPN providers with the most servers and supports nearly the same number of countries as ExpressVPN.
3. NordVPN: Safe Canadian IP addresses and servers
- User-friendly interface
- Supports six devices on a single subscription
- New users get three months free
NordVPN is arguably the most well-known VPN service of this moment. While offering less countries and server locations than the above two providers, NordVPN has a whopping 480+ VPN servers in Canada, and still offers thousands of servers worldwide. This VPN service is your best option if you want the highest level of security for your personal data. NordVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, has a kill switch, and the company has proven many times that it considers the safety of their users the top priority.
Just like the other providers on this list, NordVPN will help you access different kinds of Canadian streaming services with its many IP addresses. Their software is super easy to use, and you’ll even get three months free with a new subscription plan. There are even add-ons like a password manager and cloud storage. NordVPN is also decent if you’re interested in a Belgian IP.
Why Should I Use a VPN with a Canada IP?
At home, your IP address is set by your network and linked back to your real identity. At any time, your internet service provider (ISP) can see what you’re doing online. Worse, your data could be intercepted by third parties if your network security is weak or you’re using a public Wi-Fi hotspot. Also, overseas websites can block you, as your IP address indicates what country you’re browsing from.
To access blocked websites, you’ll need to change your IP address to that of another country. This is very straightforward; all you need to do is connect to a VPN server in your chosen country, for example Canada. Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to access Canadian websites, including news channels and streaming services. Your Canadian IP address will give you access to more movies, series, and other content.
Let’s take Netflix as an example. While Japan is ranked as having the world’s largest Netflix selection, the United States and Canada trail closely behind. With a Canada IP address, you’ll be able to access Canadian Netflix and watch thousands of titles, many of which aren’t available in other countries.
Not only will all of that content, along with countless sites, open up to you, but you’ll also benefit from increased security online. Your data will be encrypted, and your IP will be cloaked. This is just a small snapshot of the benefits of using a virtual private network. For more information, check out our full article on the advantages of a VPN.
What Should I Look For in a VPN?
There are so many VPN providers that it can be hard to decide which one to subscribe to. If you’re unsure about the top three listed above, you can always do your own research. Here are some of the most important points to consider when choosing a VPN.
- Server locations: To get a Canadaian IP, you’ll need Canadian VPN servers. NordVPN, for example, offers hundreds of servers in Canada alone. The volume of servers is important too, as increased demand could slow your connection if many users connect to a single server at once.
- Unblocking opportunities: Depending on what you want to use your Canadian VPN for, you might need different providers. ExpressVPN and CyberGhost are good VPNs for streaming. The former has some of the best connection speeds, while the latter has dedicated VPN servers for streaming. For instance, you can easily switch to a Mexican IP address if you want!
- No data logging policies: ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two of the only paid VPNs with absolutely no user data logging. When you’re using a VPN, you expect privacy, but many free VPNs have been known to keep logs and even hand them to the authorities. That’s why it’s important to make sure you get a Canadian IP with a VPN that has a “no logging” policy.
- Connection speeds and stability: Your connection speed may vary between providers and locations. Free VPNs are typically slower than paid VPNs. ExpressVPN can achieve speeds of up to 600Mbps, while NordVPN has been known to reach 800Mbps in certain scenarios. Aside from mere speed, stability is important here as well: reaching a peak of 800Mbps isn’t much use if your stream lags significantly at other times.
Using a VPN to get a Canadian IP address means you’ll be able to access blocked Canadian websites. You’ll also benefit from increased security and privacy online. Canada has the third-biggest Netflix library in the world after Japan and the U.S., which is great news for streamers. Our choice for the best VPN for a Canada IP is ExpressVPN, but you can also check out our list of the overall best VPNs of this moment for a side-by-side comparison.
To get a Canada IP address, all you’ll need is a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection. Check out our FAQ to see how you can connect to a Canadian VPN server.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider, for example our favorite, ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN.
- Open the software, then sign in.
- Run your VPN software and locate a Canadian server.
- Connect to the Canadian server to start your session.
For a more detailed overview, check out the full article.
Most Canadian television networks use geo-restrictions to prevent overseas visitors from accessing them due to broadcasting rights. However, you can still watch Canadian TV online using a VPN (virtual private network). Simply download a trusted VPN provider like ExpressVPN.
Yes, using a VPN in Canada is legal, assuming you’re not engaging in any illicit activities. Check out our article on the legality of VPNs for more information.
Bear in mind that Canada is part of the Five Eyes alliance that also includes Australia, New Zealand, the U.K., and the U.S. Each government shares data and intelligence, so using a VPN is even more important to remain anonymous and protect yourself online.