Reddit has over 430 million daily users. Most of them are unprotected and unaware of the dangers lurking on this platform and the internet in general. It’s always a good idea to use a VPN to maximize your online security, anonymity, and internet freedom.
Here are the three very best VPNs to use on Reddit:
- NordVPN: best overall VPN for Reddit.
- Surfshark: best Reddit VPN with unlimited connections.
- CyberGhost: most affordable Reddit VPN.
For the best all-around, we recommend NordVPN. It’s lightning–fast with top-notch security and privacy protection.
The internet is becoming more dangerous by the day. Hackers and sites are constantly trying to steal your data. Spy organizations are tracking your every move. Your online anonymity is difficult to protect nowadays, unless you’re using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
This is especially true if you’re one of 430+ million Reddit users. Like any other social network, Reddit collects and monetizes your information. A VPN puts a wall of encryption between your data and prying eyes, allowing you to keep active on Reddit without the looming fear of someone spying on you.
Securing your Reddit sessions with a good VPN is a must. But which one should you choose? There are countless VPN providers, and doing research on your own would take months. That’s why we’ve listed our top 3 VPNs for Reddit right here.
Best VPN for Reddit – Our Recommendations
Redditors are known for their extensive research. From juicers to VPNs, they leave no stone unturned. But we didn’t rely solely on helpful subreddits. We’ve tested different VPNs ourselves. A good VPN for Reddit should be fast, secure, and user-friendly. Being able to unblock regionally restricted content is always a nice feature to have, as well. So, we paid special attention to those factors during our tests.
The result? We found the very best VPNs for Reddit. Read more about them below.
1. NordVPN – blazing speed, amped-up security
In our opinion, NordVPN is the best VPN for Reddit. We’d even go a step further to say it’s the best VPN currently on the market. We like it for its blazing speeds, stable connections, and rock-solid security.
Its speed and safety are matched by its geo-unblocking capabilities: NordVPN has thousands of servers in almost 60 countries. This is especially useful if countries like China decide to ban Reddit again. NordVPN offers impressive device coverage and even browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
Pair that with anti-leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and an ironclad no-logging policy, and it becomes apparent why NordVPN is at the top of our list of the best VPN providers for this year. It’s the perfect security tool for avid Reddit users and beginners alike.
You can really lock in a good deal if you sign up for a longer-term, two-year subscription. This provider also has a 30-day money-back guarantee, which you can use as a free NordVPN trial. If you prefer even cheaper options, though, take a look at our second and third picks.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
2. Surfshark – unlimited connections
Surfshark is incredibly fast and affordable. It offers fewer servers than our other picks, but its security is definitely on par with theirs. Like them, Surfshark has a strict no-logging policy and zero privacy leaks to boot.
Thanks to its impressive speed, Surfshark is generally regarded as a “streaming VPN.” But it has much more to offer than providing seamless access to streams and smooth browsing. What really sets it apart is its support for unlimited simultaneous connections, something not even NordVPN can compete with.
The platform support is a bit more modest, but it covers all popular systems, including Chrome and Firefox browsers. You can also download it from major app stores for your mobile device. A neat feature called “CleanWeb” blocks ads, malware, and trackers.
Surfshark comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. So, you can test it for a month completely cost-free.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
3. CyberGhost – affordable & beginner-friendly
CyberGhost is a cheaper, but slightly slower, alternative to NordVPN and Surfshark. However, it compensates for this with almost twice as many VPN servers across 90 countries. Like NordVPN, it’s known for its airtight security, zero privacy leaks, and solid anti-logging policy.
Its user-friendly apps make it an ideal VPN for beginners. Apart from this, people love using CyberGhost’s servers, which are optimized for torrenting. It also covers a wide range of platforms so you can browse Reddit safely on any device in your home. Of course, it also works effectively in your Chrome or Firefox browser.
Reddit users will be glad to know that CyberGhost also includes an ad-blocker. This will help you improve your social networking by blocking annoying ads and pop-ups.
Finally, if you opt for a longer subscription, you’ll enjoy a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. This lengthy free trial is more than enough to test the service and see if it works for you.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
What to Look For When Choosing a VPN for Reddit
When it comes to VPNs for Reddit, most users want safety, smooth performance, and no-nonsense apps. With this in mind, here are the factors we considered during our tests:
- Security: We looked for military-grade encryption (AES-256), trusted connection protocols, and a reliable kill switch. Zero data leaks and an ironclad no-logs policy are also a must.
- Speed: We searched for a VPN with a high enough speed to open images and video links without lag and endless buffering. A large server network is crucial here, as well as the absence of any speed throttling from your VPN provider.
- Ease of use: Nobody wants to deal with overly complicated and technical apps. A VPN client should be as simple as possible and function perfectly.
- Price/quality: Saving some money is always a good idea. So, we appreciate VPNs that offer top-quality service with lower price tags.
No one VPN will hit all these marks perfectly. So, whichever VPN for Reddit you choose, you’ll have to make some sacrifices. It all comes down to your priorities. Do you want more speed or more security? Simpler apps or saving some money on your subscription?
You can read all about our top 3 VPNs for Reddit in great detail in our separate reviews. They offer much more information and should help you make a fully informed choice.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Reddit?
When talking about free VPNs, we have to differentiate between two types of services:
- Free limited versions of trusted premium VPNs
- Exploitative and dangerous free VPNs that offer little to no protection
Some premium VPNs, like PrivadoVPN, offer a completely free, albeit limited version of their software. These free VPNs usually come with limited speed, servers, or bandwidth. For example, ProtonVPN’s free plan includes only three server locations. Hide.me and PrivadoVPN have a monthly data limit of 10GB, and so on. However, these are legitimate VPNs that actually provide you with adequate protection.
To support their free service, these companies will usually serve you with in-client ads and pop-ups. Apart from ads and limits, they function as any paid VPN. If you don’t want to deal with these constrictions, you can always purchase one of their premium plans. These free versions are also perfect for testing a VPN cost-free before buying it.
Dangerous free VPNs
On the other hand, we have malicious VPN providers that offer VPN software in name only. Their VPNs are free, but they provide very little protection or none at all. They are usually just fronts for crypto-mining operations or means of stealing user data. Some of these will make you a part of their P2P network and use your system resources to mine cryptocurrencies. Others will blatantly log your data and sell it to the highest bidder. This information usually includes the so-called activity logs, which record the sites you visit and your interaction with them. Hola VPN and BeetVPN are staunch examples of this category.
If you’re on a very limited budget, we recommend picking a VPN service from our list of truly free VPNs. They are offered by trusted providers and will keep your Reddit activities away from the prying eyes. Do, however, keep in mind that these free VPNs come with limitations. On the other hand, we strongly advise against using VPNs from the latter, dangerous category, no matter how good the deal sounds.
Why Use a VPN for Reddit?
There are numerous reasons why Redditors might want to use a VPN. The most important ones include:
- Increased online security: VPNs route your data through an encrypted tunnel and block access to any malicious third parties. Hackers, spy organizations, your ISP, and even Reddit itself can’t abuse what they can’t see. Using Reddit without a VPN leaves your personal information up for grabs, especially on unprotected public Wi-Fi networks. A VPN lets you browse Reddit safely and anonymously.
- Increased online privacy: Reddit isn’t the most private platform: it collects quite a bit of data on you. If you don’t want to get rid of your Reddit account, but do want to mind your privacy, a VPN is the answer. VPNs replace your real IP address with a fake one. In other words, your traffic on Reddit can never be traced back to your real IP, your physical location or to you as an individual. Your real IP can be used to geo-locate you and mount all sorts of attacks. With a virtual address, you’ll be perfectly safe. Just remember to keep your Reddit profile as anonymous as possible if you really want to maintain your privacy. This includes using an anonymous email address to sign up.
- Bypassing geo-restrictions: VPNs are a must when you’re trying to open a country-specific video link on Reddit. Simply connect to a VPN server in that country to obtain a local IP address. You can also use a VPN to freely access Reddit even if your government periodically decides to ban it (like in China, Russia, and North Korea).
- Getting around IP bans: When you get banned on Reddit, they actually blacklist your IP address. VPNs are the perfect tools to get around this. Simply connect to any server and you’ll receive a fresh non-banned IP. Having said that, we strongly encourage you to follow Reddit’s rules and never abuse this option.
How Do I Install a VPN to Use With Reddit?
The exact steps you need to go through to install your VPN will depend on your chosen provider and the device you want to use it on. For example, installing a VPN on your Windows computer is much easier than setting it up on a smart TV.
In most cases, this is what you’ll have to do:
- Create an account on your VPN provider’s website. Usually, there’s a signup button at the top of the homepage.
- Download the VPN app for your device. Most providers redirect you to the download page automatically when you subscribe.
- Install the downloaded VPN client. This is a very simple process and should only take a minute.
- Log into your VPN client. Usually, you can fill in the same credentials you used to register on the site.
- Open a list of server locations and click on the server you wish to connect to.
- Click the big “Connect” button to turn your VPN on. Within seconds, your VPN will connect you to the chosen location.
If you need some more help during the installation process, our detailed VPN reviews page offers in-depth setup guides for each provider.
The best VPNs for Reddit can help you browse your favorite social network safely and anonymously. It’ll also allow you to bypass geo-restrictions and go around an undeserved ban.
If you’re looking for the best package all-around, NordVPN is the perfect tool for you. Don’t mind sacrificing some speed for a lower price tag? Then we recommend going with CyberGhost. If you need simultaneous protection for many devices, Surfshark is just what you need.
If you’d like to see more options, you can find them on our list of the best VPNs of this year.
If our article didn’t cover all of your potential questions, you can find our responses to the most frequently asked questions below.
NordVPN has been at the top of the VPN market for quite a while now. It offers top-notch security, a vast server network, excellent speeds, unparalleled geo-unblocking capabilities, and a strict no-logging policy. In short, it has everything a security-conscious Redditor will ever need. If you’d like to browse some other options, take a look at this top 3 of the best VPNs for Reddit.
There are some great free VPNs out there, like PrivadoVPN, ProtonVPN, and Hide.me, but they do come with limitations (on speed, servers, and bandwidth). These are not to be mistaken with malicious free VPNs like Hola, which log and sell your data or use your computer to mine crypto. Therefore, if you’re looking for solid free service, we recommend picking one from our list of the best free VPNs. They might not be able to compete with the VPN giants, but at least they won’t log your data or intrude on your privacy.
Simply because they don’t want anybody else to know what they’re doing online. When you go online, your identity and traffic are under constant attack. Everybody wants to monitor your every move and make money from your personal info, including Reddit itself. Using a VPN hides your true identity and online actions from malicious third parties. Heavy encryption scrambles your data. Moreover, your real IP is replaced with a virtual address. So, your actions on Reddit can’t be traced back to you.