Kodi lets you enjoy all kinds of movies, series, music, podcasts and other forms of online entertainment for free. If you want to do this in a secure and unlimited way, you’ll need a VPN. Setting up a VPN on Kodi is very easy. You can do in one of three ways:
- Install it using a VPN application: You can do this using the official website of your VPN provider. Download the software, log in, choose a server location and connect.
- Set it up using a Kodi add-on: Go to your Kodi add-ons and choose the extension that works with your VPN provider. Install it and enter your details to activate it.
- Set it up on your router: You’ll need to have the right router to do this. Once you’ve set up the VPN by flashing your router, you can directly connect Kodi to the router.
Are you looking for a good VPN for Kodi? We recommend ExpressVPN:
Kodi is one of the most popular media players around. It is a free, open-source platform with which you can access an unbelievable selection of movies and series. Kodi is an entertainment center that lets you listen to music, watch movies and so much more. To get access to music, movies and series, you need to install a video app in Kodi. Kodi is available for all major operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS, and Raspberry Pi.
The streaming service will provide you with access to a whole new world of content. Kodi lets you watch Netflix, listen to the radio and download software.
As you can see, Kodi is very versatile. However, its only drawback is that it carries security risks. Luckily, you can solve them with a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Do you want to know how you can use a VPN in combination with Kodi? Or do you want to know what the best VPN for Kodi is? Read all about it in this article!
Set up a VPN on Kodi
If you have a VPN, it can be set up on Kodi. Are you still looking for a good VPN? Scroll down for the best options.
There are three basic ways to set up a VPN for Kodi. The first way is to install the VPN application on your device. The second way is to use the built-in VPN Kodi add-ons. And the third way is installing a VPN on your router.
Set up a VPN on Kodi using a VPN app
Setting up a VPN application is the easiest way to use Kodi securely and anonymously. The only thing you need to do is download the VPN application. You can then connect to a VPN server and stream using Kodi. Below you can see how to do this step-by-step:
- Go to the website of your VPN provider and download the application for your device.
- Install the application.
- Open the application and enter your login details.
- After logging in click on the server you want and then on ‘Connect’.
- Now that you’re connected using a VPN, you can use Kodi securely!
Another advantage: If you use the VPN application, all your internet traffic on this device will be secure. You can also browse the internet securely. To secure all your devices in one go, you can install a VPN on your router.
Set up a VPN with a Kodi add-on
You can choose to only use a VPN for Kodi using the built-in VPN add-ons. In doing so, your Kodi internet traffic will go through a VPN connection. Here’s how to use a VPN using Kodi add-ons:
- Start Kodi
- Go through the following menus. From the main menu go to ‘Add-ons’, then click on ‘Download and then on ‘Program add-ons’.
- You’ll now see a list of all kinds of add-ons. From this list choose an add-on that works with your VPN provider.
- Instead of a separate Kodi add-on of the VPN provider you can also install the Zomboided VPN manager for Kodi (link)
- Install the Kodi VPN add-on or Zomboided VPN add-on for Kodi
- Open the add-on
- Click on configuring your VPN as shown here below:
- Fill in your login details in and click on Activate. Now you can use Kodi while you’re properly secured with a VPN!
Note: Not all VPN providers offer a separate add-on for Kodi. An alternative Kodi add-on that you can enter your VPN provider details into is Zomboided.
Set up a VPN for Kodi on a router
The third way to use a VPN with Kodi is by installing a VPN on your router. This has the advantage that all your devices and internet traffic are secured in one go. It also ensures that you’re safe to browse the internet. To use a VPN on your router, you will need a suitable router that supports DD-WRT firmware.
Once this firmware is installed on your router you can install a VPN on it. If you want to know exactly how that works, you can read the article ‘Installing a VPN on your router (DD-WRT guide)’.
Note: This way is technically challenging for newer VPN users.
The best VPN for Kodi
Of course, you can only install a VPN on Kodi if you have a VPN subscription. If you don’t have a subscription, then we have a number of excellent suggestions for you. Here below you find one suggestion for a good VPN for Kodi.
ExpressVPN for Kodi
In our view, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Kodi. This VPN is very fast and has a ton of servers. As well, ExpressVPN is extremely easy to use, also for people with less VPN experience. Moreover, ExpressVPN has proper security and uses strong encryption. You’re always well protected with ExpressVPN. You can try out this provider using their 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very easy to use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
What’s the advantage of a VPN for Kodi?
A VPN ensures that you can go online better protected in several ways. Firstly, a VPN lets you be more anonymous. VPN connections make sure that your IP address is not visible. Your address works as a kind of postal address on the internet. Based on your IP address websites can find out who you are and from what location you’re visiting their website. If you want to use Kodi without a VPN, others can find out who you are and what you’re watching with Kodi. If you want to remain anonymous, then you should use Kodi with a VPN.
Moreover, a VPN can keep you safe on the internet. These days there are countless parties on the internet who want to misuse your data or get information about you. A VPN encrypts all of your internet traffic. By using encryption, malicious parties cannot read the data you send, preventing hackers and government agencies from seeing what you do on the internet. This way you can stream movies and series on Kodi without other parties being able to see that.
A VPN also gives you access to free and unlimited internet. A VPN hides your real IP address and location. With a VPN you can fool websites into believing that you’re visiting the website in question from another country. A VPN reroutes your internet through their own VPN server, this way you take over the server’s IP address. This IP address is registered at another location. This has many advantages: you can get access to movies and series that are only available in other countries. Moreover, others won’t know what movies or series you’re watching and/or downloading.
Based on these advantages we strongly recommend using Kodi with a VPN to prevent others from seeing what you do with Kodi.
This article shows everything you could read about using a VPN for Kodi. You were able to read about the importance of a VPN. Moreover, we’ve recommended many VPNs that work well in combination with Kodi. If you don’t know how to set up a VPN on Kodi, then you can follow a step-by-step guide in this article. With a VPN you can use Kodi securely and without any problems.
Kodi also has more movies and series than Netflix, which is nice. And a VPN subscription is often less expensive than a Netflix subscription. With a VPN and Kodi you can get access to many more movies and series at a lower price! Please note that Kodi also contains many illegal movies and series. Download and streaming of this content is not allowed and could lead to a fine.
Do you have a question about setting up a VPN for Kodi? Click on one of our frequently asked questions below and you’ll automatically see the answer!
You can set up a VPN for Kodi in one of three ways. You can download VPN software directly from your VPN provider’s website. Another option is to find a suitable add-on within the Kodi software. Lastly, you can also install a VPN directly onto your router. Want to know more? Read how to set up a VPN on Kodi step-by-step.
There are three different ways to make a connection between Kodi and your VPN.
- Using the VPN software on your computer: Click on the “On” button. All your Kodi data traffic will now go through the VPN.
- Using a Kodi add-on: After installing the add-on, fill in your login details for the VPN and click on Activate.
- Using a router: Once the VPN on your router is installed and activated, you can connect the computer with Kodi on it to the router’s network.
A VPN gives you more online privacy, security and freedom. This means that others cannot see what you’re watching and listening to on Kodi. You’re less vulnerable to hacking and your location will be kept hidden better.