With Apple TV you can easily watch movies and films online on your television. Within moments, you’re able enjoy streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu on a big screen. To protect the insecure connection your Apple TV makes with the internet, it’s wise to use a VPN. A VPN provides you with online safety, anonimity, and freedom. The three best VPNs to use for your Apple TV are:
If you want to get started with a VPN right away, we recommend NordVPN. This provider uses great encryption and is also quite cheap.
These days a lot of people own an Apple TV. An Apple TV essentially transforms a normal TV into a smart TV, on which you can play movies and series straight from the internet. Unfortunately however, normally all internet traffic coming from and going to an Apple TV does so via an unsecured connection. This comes with a few safety risks. Fortunately, you can make your Apple TV a lot more secure by using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Also, a VPN will allow you to use your Apple TV in a much freer, less restricted way. After all, a VPN enables you to circumvent a lot of geographic restrictions.
A lot of streaming services which can be used on your Apple TV, such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and YouTube enforce so called geo-restrictions. For instance, Netflix’s offer of series and movies is different in every country. The American version of Netflix for instance, which offers more shows than any other version, is only available in the US. Hulu is unavailable altogether outside of the U.S. This restriction will likely affect you if you don’t live in the U.S. or if you’re on holiday to a foreign country. Also, the BBC iPlayer, used by many to watch popular British broadcasts, is normally only accessible in the UK. A VPN however, allows you to bypass a lot of these streaming geo-restrictions.
A VPN offers many more advantages, besides being useful for unblocking geo-restrictions. If you want to learn more about all of these advantages, have a look at this article. Most of the advantages offered by VPNs fall into one of three categories: safety, privacy and freedom. In the next part we’ll briefly and clearly summarize all three of these types of advantages offered by VPNs.
What is the Advantage of Using a VPN for my Apple TV?
There are a few good reasons to use a VPN on your Apple TV. The most important reasons are:
- Safety: There are plenty of companies and governments on the internet who are trying to create a “digital profile” on you. On the other hand, there are also hackers who are after your personal-, accounts- and payment information. By using a VPN you will encrypt your internet traffic, making it much harder for companies, governments and hackers to obtain your personal information. Therefore, you are much better protected online if you use a VPN.
- Privacy: A VPN changes and therefore hides your IP address. This means websites will have a harder time attributing your online activities to you and, essentially, uncovering your identity. This means using a VPN increases your level of anonymity and privacy.
- Unblocking/freedom: Most people use a VPN because of the ability VPNs offer to circumvent geographic restrictions. By using a VPN you can get access to content which would normally not be available in the country you’re in. This enables you to access the American version of Netflix outside of the U.S., for instance. Or to get access to the BBC iPlayer outside of the United Kingdom. However, it’s not just streaming content VPNs can unblock. Because of their unblocking capabilities, VPNs can also help to combat censorship and reclaim one’s online freedom.
The Best VPN Services for Apple TV
A good VPN is safe and reliable, fast, user-friendly and has servers in a large number of countries. A VPN for your Apple TV has to be fast, because otherwise streaming series and movies will be a real pain. Of course, you don’t want to wait an eternity for your favorite show to buffer. Furthermore, it’s important a VPN has a good number of servers and server locations. After all, the more server locations a VPN offers, the more content you can unblock, since you need to connect to a server in the country/countries the content is restricted to. Therefore, having servers in a lot of countries is essentially a must for an Apple TV VPN. Unfortunately, most free VPNs don’t fulfill the criteria above. Therefore, we recommend using one of the following three premium VPN providers instead.
ExpressVPN for Apple TV
ExpressVPN is quite possibly the best VPN provider right now.This provider offers very user-friendly software and is very fast. ExpressVPN’s software is available on Windows, Mac Os, iOS, Android and Linux. ExpressVPN is very suitable for bypassing geographic restrictions, because the VPN has over 3000 servers in 94 different countries. Also, ExpressVPN offers a clear and easy-to-follow guide for setting up an ExpressVPN connection on your Apple TV. This all means ExpressVPN is definitely one of the best VPN providers for Apple TV. Moreover, you can try ExpressVPN for 30 days and see if it’s the right provider for you, since they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Super fast and simple VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading and streaming (i.a. Netflix)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
NordVPN for Apple TV
NordVPN is one of the more affordable premium VPN providers available. Moreover, it is one of the safest VPN options other there. After all, NordVPN offers (double) military grade, AES 256-bit encryption. This is considered a very safe type of encryption. Furthermore, NordVPN offers very intuitive and user-friendly software. This makes the VPN easy to use, even for people for first-time VPN users. Apart from offering great value, NordVPN also gives all of its customers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Excellent protection and a large network of servers
- Nice and pleasing application
- No logs
Surfshark Apple TV
If you’re looking for a very affordable VPN for your Apple TV, which can compete very well with its premium competitors, Surfshark is a great provider to go with. Considering Surfshark’s very competitive price, the speeds it manages are impressive to say the least. Especially the U.S. servers we tested (from our office in the Netherlands), performed great and were very fast. Of course, this is great for people who like to use their Apple TV to use American streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu.
Furthermore, Surfshark has more than 1000 servers in 61 countries. This makes Surfshark a very suitable VPN for unblocking purposes. Surfshark too offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to try it out before really comitting to anything.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30 days money back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
Setting up a VPN on your Apple TV
Once you’ve got yourself a VPN subscription, of course you’ll want to set up your VPN on your Apple TV. This can be done by installing a VPN on your router or on a virtual router on your Windows or Mac PC. As soon as you connect your Apple TV to your router, your Apple TV will also be connected to your VPN. Do you want to know exactly how to install a VPN on your router? Then read our in-depth guide on doing so.
In this article you’ve been able to read why it’s important and useful to use a VPN on your Apple TV. With a VPN running on your Apple TV, you’ll be more anonymous, safer and freer online. Also, this article discussed the three best VPNs for your Apple TV. Providers such as ExpressVPN, NordVPN and Surfshark can help you to make safe use of your Apple TV. Finally, this article explained how to set up a VPN on your Apple TV.